Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action) > Doctor Who

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #2461
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

I need some help. Has anyone found fabric that's even close to what is used on the inside of Six's coat? I'm working on an umbrella that's based on his coat and I'd love to have that on the inside. I know there's an awesome person on Spoonflower that's working on the fabrics on the outside, but he hasn't done the inside. Just figured I'd check if it's possible to find before I went for a shade of purple that is close.

TIA!

Working on:
First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Science Officer [DS9]

Eventually:
Science Officer [TNG], Science Officer [FC], Pirogoeth (D&D oc), The Dude (on The Grid)
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #2462
lunabuna
Bad Wolf Omega

Question Costume accuracy question

Quick question because I'm finding myself in a bit of a pickle.

I'm cosplaying as Series 4 Rose Tyler and found myself with two jackets--one is the perfect shade of blue but a bit of a funky style, the other a navy blue but almost perfect as far as the style goes. This wouldn't have been a problem if the seller of the latter had accurate images of the jackets on eBay.

So I ask you this--which would be more important for a cosplayer: accurate color or accurate design? Because the latter is such a navy blue, in bad lighting it almost looks grey and I'm worried I won't be recognizable because her jacket is so distinctively blue, but this one that's the right color is clunky and inaccurate. I guess both would be problematic for die-hard fans, but I'm a perfectionist who won't be able to find the right type and color jacket in time for WonderCon and could really use some opinions from fellow cosplayers.

TL;DR: Which would be more important to you for a cosplay? Or rather, which would be the most distractingly inaccurate: style or color?

Completed Costumes:
Lunar: The Silver Star Story - Jessica Alkirk
Doctor Who - Rose Tyler (Series 4 blue jacket outfit)
Doctor Who - Amy Pond

Future Costumes:
Lunar: The Silver Star Story - Royce (fortune teller outfit)
Lunar: Eternal Blue - Mauri
Darkstalkers - Hsien-Ko
Ah! My Goddess - Urd
My Little Pony - Anthro-pegasus OC
lunabuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #2463
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunabuna View Post
Quick question because I'm finding myself in a bit of a pickle.

I'm cosplaying as Series 4 Rose Tyler and found myself with two jackets--one is the perfect shade of blue but a bit of a funky style, the other a navy blue but almost perfect as far as the style goes. This wouldn't have been a problem if the seller of the latter had accurate images of the jackets on eBay.

So I ask you this--which would be more important for a cosplayer: accurate color or accurate design? Because the latter is such a navy blue, in bad lighting it almost looks grey and I'm worried I won't be recognizable because her jacket is so distinctively blue, but this one that's the right color is clunky and inaccurate. I guess both would be problematic for die-hard fans, but I'm a perfectionist who won't be able to find the right type and color jacket in time for WonderCon and could really use some opinions from fellow cosplayers.

TL;DR: Which would be more important to you for a cosplay? Or rather, which would be the most distractingly inaccurate: style or color?
I'd personally choose styling over color, but I think most fans would recognize color over styling. If you own both, why don't you try each one and see how many people recognize the costume?
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #2464
MeganLara

Here is my Rose Tyler (The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances) cosplay! Working on her outfit from Idiot's Lantern currently--both for C2E2.

MeganLara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #2465
SapphireChaos

@MeganLara: Oh my gosh, I seriously thought those were photos of Billie Piper :O You look just like her!

I'm new to the Doctor Who fandom (just finished the first series of the reboot) and I'm going to cosplay Rose with her outfit from "Bad Wolf"/ "The Parting of the Ways". I just bought the wig so hopefully I receive it soon so I can do a hair and makeup test.
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - 0%
[?] Jun (Avatar the Last Airbender) - 0%
SapphireChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #2466
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

MeganLara,

Your makeup is impeccable.
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #2467
plaidskoogrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireChaos View Post
@MeganLara: Oh my gosh, I seriously thought those were photos of Billie Piper :O You look just like her!

I'm new to the Doctor Who fandom (just finished the first series of the reboot) and I'm going to cosplay Rose with her outfit from "Bad Wolf"/ "The Parting of the Ways". I just bought the wig so hopefully I receive it soon so I can do a hair and makeup test.
Ditto! I thought they were reference photos, awesome job!
plaidskoogrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #2468
carma_bee

hi, just want to share my two clara cosplays i've got going on, for Hide and the 50th anniversary ep

2014 Plans
S7B Eleventh Doctor 90% done
Alison Hendrix (Orphan Black) 100% done!!
Winter Soldier 60% Done

Fan Expo 2014
Thurs: Alison Hendrix
Fri: Clara Oswald
Sat: 7B Eleven
Sun: Winter Soldier
carma_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #2469
Satori Veda

I've cosplayed the 4th Doctor. I got some sort of satisfaction making the scarf myself (which I actually wear all the time). Vintage section of the thrift store was helpful (got myself some nice 70s pants). I already had a hat. Wearing his wig and sideburns made me look like the Campbell soup kid though, with my moon face XD. Here is a pic I took without the wig.
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays
Hera (Star Wars Rebels)- Working On
Steampunk Sailor Moon- Maybe, I'll see
Lumpy Space Princess- Working On
Satori Veda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #2470
FleursDeLis

Quote:
Originally Posted by carma_bee View Post
hi, just want to share my two clara cosplays i've got going on, for Hide and the 50th anniversary ep

You look fantastic! What dress are you using for the 50th anni ep?
FleursDeLis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #2471
carma_bee

thanks! it's the same one she has on the show, the River Island one, i got it from Asos here. some smaller sizes are still available.

2014 Plans
S7B Eleventh Doctor 90% done
Alison Hendrix (Orphan Black) 100% done!!
Winter Soldier 60% Done

Fan Expo 2014
Thurs: Alison Hendrix
Fri: Clara Oswald
Sat: 7B Eleven
Sun: Winter Soldier
carma_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #2472
jdoe7

*spoilers from the name of the doctor*

I was wondering if anyone has any good reference pics for one the outfit that clara is wearing on Gallifrey in "the name of the doctor" I am thinking of doing that costume but I can't tell if it is pants or a skirt she is wearing, as well as other details.
Jedi Knight - Star Wars

Facebook tumblr: Disney Personal Harry Potter
jdoe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #2473
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I did a photoshoot this past Saturday with my favorite Master cosplayer - http://marchingintime.tumblr.com

Here's a little preview.

There are 41 pictures here ranging from silly to sad. Mostly, it was a rather slashy shoot. There's a bit of a progression about us going on a date and such. If you like that sort of thing, please check them out.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...53220& type=1
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #2474
Purified Ace
Ace Pendragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganLara View Post
Here is my Rose Tyler (The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances) cosplay! Working on her outfit from Idiot's Lantern currently--both for C2E2.

[Really Awesome Rose Tyler Right Here]

I saw this and immediate said, "Hey, she looks like Billie Piper. Only cute."

As a bit of a side note: I've finally got pictures up of my weekend revels as Ten. Take a look:
Best Donna Ever
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #2475
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I've decided to cosplay Donna Noble. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing her outfit from Silence in the Library. I found a workable dress/top at Old Navy. Right now I'm looking for my copy of Generation T, because I think there might be a tutorial in there to make that shrug.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote