Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #61
Fai'sBlueEyes
Ruler of the Pandas

Yeah I'd kinda like to do everything myself if I can since this will be my first costume that I haven't had help on (and only my second costume ever) but I found a really great pair of leather pants on ebay for only $30 and I think I can make the cloak and the shirt without much trouble.
Fai'sBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #62
kanpuu

No one has posted a pattern for the cloak, caplet, or any of his clothing, so i must ask... 1. does anyone have a pattern, 2. did you make the caplet in 2 pieces because mine will not sit right on my shoulders and looks ridiculous
Unaware of loss.
Nor aware of gain.
Withstood pain to create many weapons.
Waiting for one's arrival.
I have no regrets, this is the only path.
My whole life was "Unlimited Blade Works"

~Archer~
we will miss you
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...ight-25033.jpg

Last edited by kanpuu : 05-21-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: picture wont appear properly
kanpuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #63
Nerfherder
Puu! - Mokona

Started working a bit on a Vincent outfit - but there are many hard parts. Note: It's supposed to be an Advent Children kind of outfit, rather than a Dirge of Cerberus one. It's a long post but a lot of details that are explained, you're not forced to read it.

- The claw: I'll be creating it in craft foam, and my goal is for it to be similar to one I found on the internet, all credit to the one who took/created the picture(Arienne Keith?): http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs40/f/20...enne_Keith.jpg
I don't know if it's real but it looks amazing. Anyway, there's the concept of the claw I'll be making. Mostly craft foam and it'll be glued on top of a thin and long leather glove. Done well on the designs so far so we'll see how it turns out.

- Another hard part is the gun but I'm "crafty" and "arty" so I'll manage somehow ^^
I've drawn a design on it and will be using PVC pipes, a stardard revolver handle and rest out of craftfoam/plywood/clay or whatever. I'm not that worried about this one at all actually.

- Atleast 12 belts (not including the 2 on his pants) with a total of 12 belt fasteners and 24 unique metal pieces that are used to fasten them to the bracer/capelet/leather pants. They have a kind of.. well look for yourselves. http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/289...sandcollar.png

I thought about fastening the belts onto the cloth/leather using rivets and then glueing them on top of the rivet creating about the same look. Didn't find any that I could buy so I'll be creating them out of 2 layers craft foam or similar and making the "cross" kind of thingie on top with either clay or a strip of craft foam or any other plastic easy-to-modify materia. Spray primer, painting black and drybrushing with a metal acrylic color to create the look that I want.

- The red capelet. This seems to be the hardest part as I don't know where to start. It's a unique design. It's open in the front and closed with 6 belts. A high collar and no visible seams... one single piece? No that's not possible but making the seams discrete and the capelet "falling" beautifully is a difficult task. I'd appreciate any bit of help possible for this part.

I've seen: http://www.thedietdiary.com/knitting...n_Capelet.html
Obviously the pattern would need many modifications.. And there's so many seams that I doubt I'd get it to fall well and straight enough.
Vincents capelet has more of a tube:ish appearance: img504.imageshack.us/img504/1817/tubeishcapeandcollar.png

But like I said, there's no visible seams (Yes, I know it's made in computermade graphic) that would aid us here. I'd like to discuss with someone who have done one themselves and find out a bit about how to pull it off in a good and beautiful way.

There are other parts but these are what I've found the hardest and there are not many designs, none that I've found. It would seem that most comission the cape, leather clothes and the capelet.

So if anyone could help me with designs for the capelet/cloak, tips on what kind of cloth to make it out of or anything at all - please hit me up in pm or just reply to this post. I want my Vincent cosplay outfit to look as good as possible, so I'll use the time it takes but spent time is fruitless when you don't know where to start, the capelet really feels difficult to pull off well.

- Then there is the wig. As the "standard" vincent cosplay wigs looks a bit.. off, I'm thinking of ordering a black wig with long straight hair from cosworx and style it myself. Or having someone from the forum style one for me. Ideas are always appreciated.
Nerfherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #64
Fai'sBlueEyes
Ruler of the Pandas

^^ I'm looking at the Ivy from Cosworx for my Vincent wig since
(1) It has plenty of length, but not TOO much so you can cut it to the right "Vincent" length without wasting a lot of wig fiber (and money on an extremely long wig).
(2) I've heard it's very thick (and soft!) so you wouldn't have to worry about adding in extra wefts to get the thickness his hair has, and
(3) It already has bangs, you'd just have to trim them a bit.

I hope that helped with your wig troubles, I wish I could help with your other problems too but I haven't quite gotten to the capelet thing yet, sorry!
Unread 10-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #65
Nerfherder
Puu! - Mokona

Ye thanks, I looked at that one too and it looks like a good idea.
Another one which looks alright is the "Clover XL",
http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?p...at=2495&page=1
This obviously lacks the extra hair gained from trimming the "Ivy". But I've never trimmed a wig, something I should learn I guess.

On a better note, will be done with the gun in a couple of days, and the cloak. Got all the materials, apart from primer/paint for the gun.

Might post a short tutorial for them, if I'm happy with the results.
Unread 10-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #66
Fai'sBlueEyes
Ruler of the Pandas

If you'd rather not trim the wig the Clover XL would be a good idea since you'd just have to trim the bangs instead of the whole thing (and I can't wait to see some pictures of your finished gun and cloak, I'll be sure to check back in a few days).
Unread 11-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #67
Nerfherder
Puu! - Mokona

Lightbulb

Been back at the drawing board again for a while. Though apart from paint which I havn't been able to get now for a while, the Cerberus is looking a lot better. PVC pipes, cardboard, craftfoam, plywood. A bit of everything really.. It looks very dark because of the primer and an first coat of matte black. Will remodel the trigger thingies in the far back because they look off, otherwise fairly pleased.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2351483/

But the current problem is the capelet. Tried a bunch of things on an old sheet and watched the concept art closely (Advent Children, 1080p, screenshots). I then made a simple replica in cheap fabric and it worked out alright. I could not try the collar though.

Here's a picture I made with some basic drawings of the pattern. The numbers in blue on the picture are for your reference to understand my idea below better.
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8...nnumbered4.png

1: My idea of how to make the collar. The large red rectangle is the main fabric used for the rest of the capelet. More than twice the collars height. The darker sections of it is "Vliseline", something you use in for example shirts for example to make the collar stiffer and making sure it can stand upright. It's a bit like a plastic/fabric mix that melts a bit when you iron it and assists in retaining the shape you gave it. I think it's called "Vliseline", it might not be the international term for it though.

4: The collar again but this time it's folded so it's double layered. The pink:ish thingie on the bottom of the collar is a piece of fabric attached all along the collar to make it easier to attach it to the rest of the capelet, Vincent has this too. Example on the bottom right concept art. The black line on the upper part of the collar (still picture 4) indicates where a handstiched line is. Shown on the concept art in the bottom left corner.

2: This is the collar from above, with the piece of fabric attached to it's bottom making sure that it looks the way it does in the movie. To the right of it I just illustrated how I'd cut out a piece of fabric that'll be long enough and would fit the bottom of the collar without creating wrinkles or whatever you'd call it. I'd also make sure it is cut out big enough for the collar as the collar actually overlaps.

3: This is a preview of the full capelet. Some things are definitely off, but it sort of resembles Vincent's capelet. This also shows the stitches from the folds (top right image with concept art). The hole between collar and capelet will be filled with the fabric attached to the collar's bottom.

5&6: my solution of how to make the left and right front parts. They are supposed to go past each other, hence the extended part but I'd want to strengthen it too, to make sure the weight of the belts doesn't mess up the way it's beautifully supposed to fall. I'll try using a double layer of the fabric, either that or use Vliseline again to strengthen it perhaps?

The folds rough positions are marked again with the black broken lines. This allows for reaching about 6-7 cm (2.3ish inches) further than the "middle" and also creating a double layer just where the belts are attached to the fabric. If I go with the double layer idea that is.. That'd mean there are 4 layers of fabric in front of me (only counting capelet...), sounds heavy and warm so perhaps I'll just fold 1-3cm (~0.3-1.0 inches instead to keep it lighter and go with the Vliseline idea.

7: The front in one piece. If you'd rip it in two they wouldn't overlap obviously, that's why I'll try the way illustrated on 5 & 6. The fold in the bottom is marked again. Also note how the front and back are slightly wider the lower it goes, allowing for a little bit more mobility without ruining the appearance.

8: The backside, in one piece. Fold marked again. These 2 pictures are mostly for showing how I'll get the collars base shape. Regarding the cut, there'll hardly be any at all on the back while on the front (7) there's a pretty low cut. This helps making the collar to be the way it looks to be in the movie.

The exact meassurements are not really decided yet, I'll just make it too big and then put on the clothes I'll have underneath it (thin shoulderpads, tight leather shirt, cloak) and then have my grandma attack it with needles until it looks fine. Then start sewing it all together.

Any ideas on how to improve it? Did you do it in another way that seems better? I'd love to see your opinions on this elusive piece of cosplay clothing.

Last edited by Nerfherder : 11-20-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #68
salsababy2889

So if anyone has got their leather straps off of this site provided in the first post-- http://www.highlandxpress.com/bucklestraps.html -- can you tell me their length? I was thinking of ordering the 12 straps from that site, but I want to make sure they're going to be the right length or at least at a length where it's manageable to shorten
salsababy2889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 02:48 AM   #69
Didydme

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersolara View Post
I need help with the bandana. Does anyone know how to make it?
Take a ractangle of the fabric you used for the cape. This rectangle shoud be half the lenght around your head wide, and dobble the hight of what you want the finiched bandana to be + 2 inches to get the with.

Half the lenght around your head
|.....................|
|.....................| The actual hight of the bandana times 2 + 2 inches
|.....................|

Doble the fabrik leghtwise and sew on some elastic in both ends. then you take an elastic ribbon streched between the two edges, make sure it fits snugly araoun your head. Then you are done
Didydme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #70
Emothica

Okay, so I'm next to a total newbie when it comes to cosplaying, and the supplies i can get are limited because my area isn't very craftsy, but I'm wanting to cosplay the AC version of Vincent. I can read through all of this stuff and make sense of it, but does anyone have an in-depth tutorial for this, including materials, etc.? I should point out that I will not use real leather.
Emothica is offline   Reply With Quote