Dictamnus Albus
visionary

nail bitting, how i quit

ive been chronically bitting my nails for 20+ years
for me, my nail bitting is symptom of light body dysmorphia,
if my nails have rough edges, loose skin, or are not semetrical
they quickly end up in my mouth for filing or biting excess skin

cutting out the drab story leading to my epiphany,
(2 sets of fake nails, 1 week of sucess, the day it ended, recovery, minor setbacks)

i have come to realize, if i can keep my nails properly manicured
they stay away from my mouth

its dificult remembering to do a manicure everyday,

but it is worth it, just to be a little happier about my body
and after the crappy weather goes away,
im going to kick it up with diet and exercise

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 04-20-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Boreotheria
n00b

I do the same thing. D: If there's a little thing that catches on anything, it bugs me until I bite it off, and then I end up chewing it until it bleeds while trying to "fix" it.

The thing that saves me is if I have a set of good nail clippers and a file on hand at all times. Then if I notice an imperfection I can fix it properly rather than destructively. File down a crack or clip off a corner, and I'm done.
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
[A-D-O-R-E]
Strawberry Fields Forever

This is exactly the same for me, I also keep a file or fine sandpaper on hand and use it when every I notice an imperfection... Or I try to keep my nails painted at all times, but I work with my hands too much so the polish never last more than a day or two.. -sigh-

Katsucon 2015
Miichan - AKB0048
Tetora - Log Horizon II
Hanayo - Love Live!
Seo - Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun

PLEASE LIKE my cosplay page (link)
[A-D-O-R-E] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Qu-ko
please wake up

Finding something else to put in your mouth when you feel the urge to bite did wonders for me. You could use chewing gum (if you're not at school where they'll yell at you for it), or bring some toothpicks with you to gnaw on. I wouldn't recommend doing it to your writing utensils, though... voice of experience.

You could also just buy a small, portable pack of nail file tools and bring them with you so you can whip them out whenever you notice an imperfection that bothers you enough.
Qu-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

I've bit my nails for 10 years at least but now they're all long and perfect. It's mostly selfcontrol. Not self-control as in being frustrated with oneself debating whether to bite or not. It kinda comes in "I better shape up my nails to look nicer."

You can always buy No-Bite Nail Polish. They are transparent so your family doesn't have to suffer. The downside to this is that you can easily get used to the taste.

Some things to know that might persuade you from biting nails:
1) Doing so will square-ify your face
2) Creates unnecessary muscles in jaw and such
3) Unpleasant nails
4) Prone to get sick because most bacteria exists on hands

Good luck!
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

that nail bite deterant stuff never worked

parents used that on us when we were 3-5
if your not immune to the ingredients (some bitterants dont effect certian peoples taste buds)

it only serves as a reminder, so its still all a matter of will power
only taste it 1-2 times then its "washed off"

it seem like proper maintenece is the popular method of curbing this habbit

carrying a file, especially a whole kit around seems a bit awkward though
can keep a file on a keychain (they make those... or used to, marketed to girls)
or in a wallet, but there really isnt a proper place for it in a bifold
a trifold has those slits for god knows what in the center under the picture sleeve
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
amandalsanders

I have such a hard time with nail biting! I do so well for weeks, even months and then I get stressed and bam! I'm biting my nails again.

I find that trying to keep my stress down works best for me, but I am typing this right now with newly bitten nails as I've had a few stressful days.

I'm going to try proper salon fake nails when I can afford them, but for now I keep with trying to stay calm and painting them regularly.

Good luck everyone
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
SleepyKiks
Magical Girl in disguise

I used to be a chronic biter. Now I only really bit if I am under heavy stress. Fake nails do not work cause I will bite them off. But just buffing them in the morning and adding a layer of nail growth stuff (I recommend Sally Hanson) seems to do the trick.

the best little buffer I managed to get was one of those 4 sided manicure bars from Sally's beauty supply. (if you don't have one near by the website has most things and they are fairly decent prices.)

Nail biting is almost always a stress related habit. If self nail care does not help sometimes therapy for anxiety can.
SleepyKiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
Talismand

i used to bite my nails as well but honestly for me it was more of a im bored type thing i just one day decided not to and have been keeping with it...also my grandma once told me about all the nasty crude im eating when i bite my nails that kinda did it for me
Talismand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Dollicon
Derelict

I haven't gotten myself to quit yet, but I can get my nails to grow for an event by just wearing gloves everywhere for a month or so. Yes, people will ask you why you're wearing gloves, or if your hands are REALLY that cold. If you can't wear gloves to, say, work, do as Qu-ko said above, keep something in your mouth, such as gum or candy. Keeping your hands moisturized will also help them grow faster + keep them from getting dry/brittle. With dry, brittle nails, flaws are more likely to appear as nails chip and flake. Although, no matter what you do, it will take some degree of self-control. Right now, my nails are long for a con in less than a month. It's a struggle to keep them this way (especially since I had a recent death in the family).

Not everyone chews because their nails are "imperfect," so grooming doesn't help them. I chew for every reason possible- imperfection, nervousness/stress, imitation.. I had them down to stubs, and even when I groom them I tend to chew them down.
Dollicon is offline   Reply With Quote