Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #31
starlight_lady

COSPLAY! Life is too short to not do the things you enjoy!

Now, that being said, I have seen "larger" cosplayers do AMAZING things with characters. I am a firm believer that costuming is art and it comes from somewhere deeper that the skin.

Now, I have seen cosplayers of ALL sizes that I have wanted to tell to go home and put on their clothes. Wardrobe malfunction or just not enough material gets me every time, I don't want to see your junk.

As for the race thing, I've told a few cosplayers off for putting people down for not being the right "race" for a character. This is stupid and petty and I've lived too long to put up with it. I've told them off for calling someone else fat. I've been called the "fat Lightning" at a photoshoot. I think I made that skinny girl cry for calling me that. My cosplay buddy is black and is an excellent cosplayer.

The only people that will put you down are those that feel the need to tear down others to make themselves feel better. And they are not worth your concern.
starlight_lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2012, 04:37 AM   #32
SirOaf
Oaf-tastic!

I love when EVERYONE regardless of what they look like, cosplays because they want to enjoy that aspect of having fun.. I mean right? So your: (fill in the blank).. If you want to do it because you'll find it fun, then DO IT..

However.. it is extremely sad that the media, and some of the human race has to have that attitude about having the 'perfect' body..(pif.. even 'perfect' varies from person to person). I've heard of skinny ppl getting picked on too! So, it's just sad that we have to live in a society in where everyone can just get along.

I think it really sucks when someone who enjoys a hobbie won't do it.. Yes.. I understand it's EXTREMELY hard to just 'do it;, BUT by NOT doing it, your letting those worthless ppl win as well!

There still is a lot of good ppl in this world(a lot of 'em here too), and we need to simply over power the inconsiderate ones!
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #33
MoradoFlower
Stephanie-Lynn

Those who say anything about weight in cosplay are immature and must have self esteem issues of their own.

No matter WHAT you do-- fit in cosplay, overweight in cosplay, in a poorly constructed cosplay, in an amazing cosplay....people are going to judge. They will ridicule. But I promise you the positive recognition and the fun you have in the costume will outweigh any negativity those low people give you as long as YOU don't let the negative comments overpower the positive ones!

*Mallow (Mario RPG)
*Sylveon (Pokemon; Gijinka)
MoradoFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #34
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Before making a costume, I've always asked myself "Will I be comfortable wearing this in public ?". I'm not even overweight (just short and curvy), but there are things I don't like with my body, that I don't show when I wear regular clothes, and won't show either when wearing a costume. It's as simple as that.
I don't care whether a person has the good body type to portray a given character, however I don't like to see people wearing clothes that do not fit their body type.
Sorry to sound elitist, but I think that when cosplaying, everyone should think about looking at their best, and an overweight girl looks way better in a corset and a long skirt than in spandex. If you really like a character, looking good as said character is the least you can do to show it.
Skin color on the other hand is a really minor thing, it is a nice plus to have it fit, but if you have a good costume, nobody really cares.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #35
hello_tracy

I'm also trying to lose weight--not just for cosplaying, of course, but it's definitely a motivator. Either way, I think cosplaying should not discriminate against weight, skin color, or anything else. It's all for fun! There will ALWAYS be people out there ready to criticize you. But, if you're having fun, that's all that matters!
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #36
Xoraxera

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollylovey123 View Post
I won't lie, costume and looks are key in cosplay. Though the best cosplayers I've ever seen or met had the attitude of each character they were playing. The attitude and the way you strut your confidence is the ultimate thing in cosplaying anyone. As long as people can tell who you are and love who you are after seeing you do your thing, you will be a wonderful cosplayer.
Oh actually that is so true! My friend who cosplayed as Korra of The Legend of Avatar cosplayed exactly as her, but she didnt dominated at all the attitude of the character so she lsot the cosplay contest but the other girl who was more chubby (which it looked so pretty on her still) she won (: !
It's honestly all about how much effort you put on it, and if you enjoyed that character as much in the serie, you will know what you will doing while doing her/his attitude later on because you will be showing confidence just like you stated it right there(very marketable climax), just not all about discrimination its about how much you are into it. Discrimination will be pointless in your daily life. You will think "oh bunch of ignorants" (;
Xoraxera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #37
KillerWhaleCake
puripuripuripuripuri

Disregard online trolls who seem sizeist/elitest/discriminatory... They make most of the cosplay community seem bad . Heck, they used to intimidate me when I started out, but now that I've gone to countless cons and have experienced how chill and accepting people are, I can't imagine my life without cosplay . As long as you give off confidence and are enjoying yourself, no worries!
Day 2: Nishinoya Yuu (Haikyuu!!)
Day 3: Kisarazu Ryou (Prince of Tennis)
KillerWhaleCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #38
Wizardly

I'm quite heavy set myself (almost 290 lbs and 5' 4") and being female, I suppose it tends to be a bigger issue among most communities. I have personally never experienced much of a problem thoughI tend to be self-conscious sometimes about how other people may look at me, I'll admit that. But then you have to remember one important thing: you're not cosplaying for others. You're cosplaying for you, you cosplay because your love of the character inspires you to and you want to express that passion. If other people like it, that's just a bonus.

So if you want to cosplay someone, go ahead and do it! If that's what makes you happy and that's who you want to cosplay, it shouldn't matter what other people think or what you look like. C:
Wizardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #39
houraisandoll

I honestly think you should take your weight into consideration, not because of what others will say about you, but because you don't sound like you're at a healthy weight. You can cosplay now, but I would suggest loosing some weight before you do. Many people are judgmental in the community, and when I was younger I cosplayed a lot and I was just a tad bit over weight and I would get flamed for it.

But, yeah, do what you want, we'll support you... but think about losing weight so you can be healthier~
houraisandoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #40
iDorkMia
mywholeexsitenceisweird.

Like everyone else probably said, just go for it. It's for fun and you shouldn't care about what others think. I'm actually very insecure about my looks, but just remember there are people that will tell you not to be insecure of those things because the things you're insecure about, they actually love the most about you(excluding personality! The personality is the important part). Honestly, I prefer heavy-set cosplayers because they tend to be more open about how they are. A lot of heavier cosplayers actually love to take advantage of their weight. So just shrug it off and do it. But if you would like to lose weight before you cosplay, that is completely up to you.

Last edited by iDorkMia : 06-06-2013 at 04:47 PM.
iDorkMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #41
Karichi
Karichi

Guess what? Make an amazing and awesome cosplay and chances are people won't care about what you look like.(and if they do- they're not worth your time anyways) I've seen plenty of heavier cosplayers or cosplayers of the "wrong" color but their costumes were so good that most of my attention went to how amazing their cosplay was.
Karichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #42
ShimaGenki

Unfortunately, there really is a fat-hating mentality in our society today. It's perpetuated largely by media and people are influenced by it without realizing it. Sometimes I have to backpedal and tell myself, "No, that's wrong," because I've been so largely influenced that I have to reprogram my brain. (Now there is the whole health issue, but that's not what this post is about so I won't touch it) Furthermore, expectations are so ridiculous that girls should be skinny little sticks with their bones sticking out. It's just plain unrealistic.

So to get to the point, you should do what makes you happy. What impresses people more than anything is the construction. I'd think people would like a well-constructed cosplay to someone who may not match the body type than someone who may have the build but have a very poor quality cosplay.

However, just do whatever makes you happy! You can play into your body type, but it's certainly not necessary. Even if there's negative comments, this thread should prove that there's a load of people supporting you--it's just usually the ignorant people that are the quickest to speak up.
ShimaGenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #43
KickAssGirl

cosplay fun for everyone have fun with it and just do it
KickAssGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #44
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

no matter how many encouraging things people try to tell you online, the fact won't change that cosplay is a hobby that focuses on one's outer appearance. if you can't handle the insults and the rude comments, cosplay isn't for you. only other cosplayers will ever comfort you with the "cosplay is for everyone." and "cosplay is for fun" comments. people who don't know what cosplay is will see someone overweight, dressed up in a strange costume. i mean, when i'm at a con and my mom sees a fat lady with her butt cheeks falling out of some gross costume underwear, she doesn't say its ok, because it's not. its gross. think about what people unaware of anime will think of when they see you, and then decide whether or not cosplay is for you or not. your choice.
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Hermione- 99% waiting for shipment to arrive
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #45
Bovice

The people he described above pretty much think all geeks/nerds/gamers/cosplayers/ similar groups are weird and out of place to begin with. Your weight isn't going to make any difference in that equation.
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote