Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 03-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
brebaker
Photographer

Looking for an Honest Critique!

Now these are hella old (not really). From AX2012-
But I'd like some feedback.
I'm trying to get more into Cosplay photography.
Any advice helps. Be honest! :3

My flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/flaminghipster/
-50mm f/1.8
-Canon 580 EXII
brebaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

Hey there! I'm relatively new to photography myself (still working on building my base knowledge and figure out how to actually USE all the fancy features on my T4i :P) and haven't done ANY cosplay photography, but I noticed a few things... Please take all with a grain of salt, because I'm definitely not an expert :P

Photo 1 - Great picture overall, the only thing I can really pick at is the background choice (and yes, especially around conventions I imagine it can be hard to find the "right" background). First, because of how colourful the game is, having a static, single coloured background doesn't seem to suit. Second, because of the angle you chose (which suits the character well) the background appears "crooked" which distracts a little from the focus.

Photo 2 - I'm not familiar with the character, but overall I find the lighting a little too harsh. The excess of shadows causes her legs to almost disappear into the background. Maybe soften the foreground lighting, and light the background area as well to take down the shadows and make her stand out more against the background.

Photo 3 - Amazing! Love it! ONLY suggestion would be to light both characters evenly as the detail on the right hand person's costume isn't being brought out as well.

Photo 4 - Looks good, I just find the cropping a bit tight - cutting off the top of her crown and the plushie's arm (and her right arm, too). Maybe some more soft light, too. Otherwise super cute!

Great work! In spite of my nit picky views, I would be willing to have you photograph my cosplay any day!

Works in Progress
Gaige - 75% done (on hold)
Gecko Moria - 90% done, props need to be finished

Completed Costumes - Moxxi|Dr Zed|Robin

The Crankypants Chronicles | Facebook Page | deviantArt
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
fotaku

Hello, thought I'd give some tips on Photo #2.

People look their heaviest when their body is facing directly at the camera. To thin a person down have them turn slightly one way or another.

You did do a good job with lighting. It put the area beneath her chin in the shadows which good. Also, there's catchlights in her eyes so she looks alive.

Photographing black next to white can be hard but you did a good job with the exposure and I can see detail in both.

Last comment is the shadow in the background... her head shadow kinda looks like a Darth Vader helmet. Having her tilt her head or move her hair would solve that. But I don't think I would have even caught that until I was editing the image.

Oh.. forgot to add that the location is good too for the character.

Keep up the good work!
fotaku is offline   Reply With Quote