Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #121
Boreotheria
n00b

Also, as with any muscle strengthening exercises, you shouldn't do them every day, at least at first. That's because the exercise damages the muscle on a cellular level. When it builds itself back up it'll be stronger than it was before. So you have to build in a rest day in between exercise days, at least if you're a beginner.

Unread 04-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #122
sexytime10
See you next week

Like Boreotheria said, spot reduction IS a myth--but you can build muscle in one area (not a very good idea imo because you'll look disfigured).

Two very important things I'd add is up your cardiovascular or calorie burning exercises and eat less. If you want to look especially good for a convention and you're in a rush I'd consider either a low carb diet such as ketosis or carb cycling FOR A SHORT TERM

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. Your nutrition (and perhaps your cardio to some degree) are the most important parts of a flat stomach.

I'll post some infographics to carb cycling and ketosis if you're interested. But I do prefer traditional methods over these... but they do really work in for short term usage.
sexytime10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #123
KarmaxCore
LOLOMGWUT.

Everyone already said no to spot reducing. Eat clean, google it if you're unfamiliar with the term. Pilates is a great workout for strengthening your core/powerhouse.

Check out my cosplay group <3 Vunderbra!Cosplay and our youtube. Vunder!Bra
KarmaxCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #124
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

My mother used to eat steamed veggies everyday with low portions of food, she lost weight very quickly, drinking water with it can help too. Of course don't starve yourself, just keep in mind to eat for feeding and not for filling.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #125
lillybearbutt
Riri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
My mother used to eat steamed veggies everyday with low portions of food, she lost weight very quickly, drinking water with it can help too. Of course don't starve yourself, just keep in mind to eat for feeding and not for filling.

Agreed, this is great advice along with everyone else. The most effective weight loss I have ever had was through the Insanity workout - it is high intensity cardio, and cardio is what helps you lose fat fast, combined with those veggies and fruits and healthy food portions that you eat. While I don't weigh much overall, I got to shed off a few layers of fat on my tummy.

Good luck!!
DA
lillybearbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #126
SuperDubu
vooooooi

What I found very helpful was doing pilates. I actually follow blogilates (you can find her on youtube) and do her daily workout calendar. I saw results in a month. My stomach was flattening out and my posture was better (better posture = less tummy fat showing). Although they were small, it was something I was very happy about and it proved to me that it really does work.
I'm also chinese, so I'm used to eating rice during dinner. I've changed white rice to brown rice and I believe that's helped as well. I've pretty much switched to whole grains. I'm pretty sure someone has mentioned this before but eat 80% full and don't skip meals.

Cons:
ALA||Anime conji||AX||Comikaze||PMX
http://super-tofu.deviantart.com/
http://facebook.com/MantouCosplay
SuperDubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #127
FantasyStocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehkukikookie View Post
Hi :] So I'm kind of in a pickle. I'm underweight [five foot two inches; 100 pounds], while at the same time I have a bulgy tummy. I'm not sure if this is a sign that I need to shed some pounds or something else [change diet, strengthen core]. I'm not sure what this is called so I really didn't know what to search for. Apologies if there is already a thread like this. ^^;

What do? I'm also kind of disabled so I need some workouts for someone with very limited leg mobility.

don't worry, it's normal for women, on those pictures in magazines they photoshop it out
FantasyStocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #128
maartinn456

Smile

Initial weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration. The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process. Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body. Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired. Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising. A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it. Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.so please drink clean and filtered water and to know about water filtration click here: - WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION
maartinn456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #129
sandra03

agree with more water (especially in place of soda/sugary drinks) and whole grains vs white. also want to add that if you tend to eat a lot of dairy try cutting it way back/out and also limit how much meat you eat. to feel fuller at meal times have a bigger portion of veggies and smaller portion of meat

there's a book out there called Body for Life, a friend of mine tried it and lost 40 lbs relatively quickly. it teaches you what to eat and how to portion and how and when to exercise. from what I remember, it recommends eating 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones, a portion = the size of your fist, each meal should have one fist sized portion of meat and carbs and as much veggies and fruit as you want. it also recommends working out for 20 minutes as soon as you wake up in the morning and then have a good breakfast. when you get up you are running totally on empty, you haven't eaten anything in probably 10-12 hours. so you're burning fat and calories and not fuel
sandra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #130
xTheCrazedOnex
All Hail Blow Matress

Lower Belly Flab

Okay, SO both my parents are heavy and me wanting to be a good cosplay have help that down with my upper torso area, but like my lower torso is the most annoying thing and I try everything and it still doesn't go away. It's really starting to bring me down and I just need help, anyone have any tips?

Planned
Belle: 10%
Princess Peach: 10%
Saya Takagi: 15%
Luka Megurine: 0%

Retired Cosplays
Loki: Party Ver.
England/Arthur Kirkland
Dave Strider: Homestuck
Katara: ATLA
Thor: The Avengers
Elsa: Frozen (Selling~)
xTheCrazedOnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #131
Bovice

Tips for what? What are you trying to do to your torso?

If you're wanting to remove fat; you can't target one area, you have to remove fat from all over your body.

If you're wanting to add muscle there, then that you can do, and if that's the case I can recommend some exercises, but if you still have your body fat, it's not going to show well, so I'm assuming you were talking about option one.

Which just comes to good eating habits, and mixing cardio and strength training
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #132
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

Sadly, apart from surgery, there's no way to target a specific area of the body for fat loss. Trust me, I have the same issue, the only way to fix it, is to reduce your overall body fat percentage and build muscle (both in your core, and over your whole body). Your best bet would be a full body weight lifting program (3 x per week) with cardio thrown in for good measure, accompanied by controlling your caloric intake and working to ensure that you are eating quality foods (whole foods, veggies, fruits, lean meats) and avoiding fluff (sugar, candy, soda, deep fried stuff). Good luck!

Works in Progress
Gaige - 75% done (on hold)
Gecko Moria - 90% done, props need to be finished

Completed Costumes - Moxxi|Dr Zed|Robin

The Crankypants Chronicles | Facebook Page | deviantArt
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #133
nikkiolie

What they all said is true. Please don't fall victim to the belief that doing thousand crunches will get you a flat stomach because it wont. I hardly do any crunches or sit ups anymore. Just the occasional planks. I let my full body lifts work my core (such as squats, pull ups, and push ups).

But to get a flat stomach it is 75% diet and 25% workout. You can get a flat stomach by not working out at all if you eat right.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #134
Bovice

Just wanted to mention you can do it through workout alone as well, but it's MUCH harder and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone (basically what I did for the first 2.5 years of my working out before I finally started eating clean; dropped weight gained muscle, got to around ~11% bodyfat eating candy and fast food every day).

The combination of the two though is what will give you the best results
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #135
xTheCrazedOnex
All Hail Blow Matress

Thanks guys! <3

Planned
Belle: 10%
Princess Peach: 10%
Saya Takagi: 15%
Luka Megurine: 0%

Retired Cosplays