Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
CJohn

Help with stenciling Camp Half-Blood shirt?

I'm going to Comic-Con in seven days as a Hephaestus cabin counselor, and I found a good template and shirt, but I've never stenciled a design on a shirt before. I could use some advice on this.

The template:
http://hyagrace.blogspot.com/2012/10...d-t-shirt.html

I'm also going with a toolbelt and goggles, and I need to find a better gladius or hoplite sword than the cheap dollar store gladius I have. I like the Percy Jackson series, and I decided urban fantasy swordsmen are cool, so it was a good fit for me.
CJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You can buy iron-on transfers that you can print off of your computer. You could just get some of those (for colored shirts) and put it onto a basic orange tee. You would have to cut out all the letters and the empty spaces in the wings and all because the color won't show through if you don't, but with a little patience it could work out nicely.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

You could also print off the design the size you want and tape it onto construction paper, use a craft knife and cut out the black parts - then use a brush or roller to paint over those areas, thus transferring the design onto the shirt - a stencil ! You could probably even get away without worrying about the construction paper and just cutting it out of the printer paper.

There's information out there on the best way to use paint on fabric, you have some options.

Just an idea for if you're not able to get the transfer paper in time, et cetera.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
tanya2s

I highly recommend freezer paper stencils. You can find it at the grocery store and what you do is print out your design onto the matte side (not the shiny side) and then use an exacto knife to cut out all the parts you want painted. Then you iron the paper (shiny side down) onto your shirt. It sticks so no worries about paint seeping under the edges. When you're done you just peel off the paper. There's no residue or anything.
tanya2s is offline   Reply With Quote