Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

Live Free or Die Hard!

Yay for special fx make up! Unfortunately my only skills in this is just brushing on and using a turkey baster to apply fake blood to a shirt and such.

John McClane Reference: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/die_hard4_09.jpg

-Is there a form of fake blood out there that comes in a toothpaste like manner?

-How would I go about getting all that black stuff (dirt, and smoke remains I guess) with out rolling around in the dirt and such?

Thanks!

2014 cons: Shatterdome Con for sure, and maybe other local ones like AUSA.

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-11-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

Make sure you've weathered your costume if you're going through the trouble of weathering yourself !

Is there a specific reason you want a toothpaste tube ? I'd probably use a paintbrush, sponge, towel, fingers, pressing to transfer, whatever to do the blood on the clothing - and for the body I'd probably be using a makeup brush or sponge and even fingers to apply it from a palette or cakes of makeup with perhaps some of the "fake blood" stuff for the stuff that's supposed to look fresher - you can apply excess to the wound site and then move around a bit to get a natural sort of transfer, too. There are even recipes online for making fake blood. Ben Nye and likely others sell "bruise" and "wound" palettes that are the colours you'd want bundled together.

For the dirt/soot you'd just want a powder makeup in that colour and possibly other stuff like a black cake makeup + a stipple sponge or even liquid eyeliner. Even mixing a bit of powder in water and staining yourself that way, or wet sponge plus cream cake.

This is the kind of thing that you play around with and have to practice a bit - I think the skill is most like being able to paint - knowing what variations of dark and light you want to achieve. You'll get much better control when applying with a brush as opposed to trying to squirt it on like cake frosting.

I would recommend you try to find a theatre or dance supply store locally that carries this kind of makeup and going in - they'll be able to get you what you need and give you advice and can even show you how to use the products. The place near me is a "dance" store but they carry a large range of all products and can order what they don't have in stock - and the senior worker there also teaches stage makeup classes at the local college.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

For the toothpaste thing I meant that it has the same/similar consistency of toothpaste. Coming out of the container the same way to make it look like the blood gathering and about to crust up over the cut, and to keep the a "stream" from the blood oozing down. Not having it look like I wiped it off (which I got before using a brush for makeup on my Ash, Housewares cosplay).

When it comes to weathering the clothes, thats the easy part for these cosplays. haha

Unread 05-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

You can get fresher-looking blood from theatrical gels - you can also use something like liquid latex either in a blood colour or as a base (to make it 3D) to put the colour over. None of it in the picture looked *that* fresh to me - you could also consider something like a small bit of vaseline to give it that "layer of just wept blood" look after you've put the colour on.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

So, basically any place that sells fake blood and such should have everything i'll need for this then?

Unread 05-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

Maybe. Places that sell the "Halloween Store" kind of stuff don't really tend to carry anything worth paying money for, it's more the theatrical and dance supply stores that do.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Khorrupt

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.halloweenexpress.com/coag...ed-p-2063.html

My friends and I used this for our zombie costumes. I don't know if I could compare it to "toothpase", but it's pretty gross and is a little more ketchup-like (in texture.) When it dries, it's pretty convincing.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote