Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 05-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
cacherlaverite

How to make an oddly shaped bodice??

So I'm planning on cosplaying Rumminov's Aradiasprite design ( http://rumminov.tumblr.com/image/37958828882 ) but I'm having trouble with the bodice. I'm thinking to maybe make an underbust corset type of thing, and then add sleeves to it? However, I'm still very confused about what to do with the section that dips up and down. Should I use boning to keep it rigid?

Also, I was thinking about using different patterns and combining the things that work out of them. For example, Simplicity 3618 and 2067 seem like they would be good starters.

Thanks for help in advance!

Cosplays:

Homestuck
Nepeta Lejion
Damara Megido
Kankri Vantas

Sherlock
John Watson
Red Pants Monday! John

Doctor Who
11th Doctor
cacherlaverite is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Turtle528

You can definitely combine patterns to suit your needs, and boning is a good idea. You could also try some very light bendable wire (like the kind you find in some ribbons) to position the triangle/diamond parts against your chest and keep it there.
Turtle528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

You could get away with using piping as the trim on the neckline of the "petals". It might help reinforce the seam. Also, having a stiff interfacing on the lining side will help it keep its structure.
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

I don't think you want boning on the bust - I think you want to shape the seams in-between the "petals" to keep everything flat against the skin and accommodate the bust - think of them like darts or princess seams - something where you can adjust the fit.

Making it a light corset is a good idea, but I would use light boning unless you want more and I'd make it so you can't see the boning from the outside so you get a clean look - have the boning on an inner layer for support only.

I think this is a good costume to talk about how to view these things. I wouldn't look at them as a combination of garments. Look at them as 3D shapes and places with potential to fit and drape. That way you're not trying to cobble things together and force them to work but just taking a body-shape and dividing it and adding to it.

If my friend was doing this I would start out by drawing a body block and then go from that - just drawing the seams on to it and adjusting it. It's a good skill to learn if you think you'll do a lot of costumes. I'm making all the patterns for my friends' costumes - once you know how to do it you can apply it to anyone and anything !

You might also check out this thread : http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=320695 and sign up to be one of the test subjects for the custom patterns.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
cacherlaverite

Thanks for all your help! I think that I'll combine the two patterns and use wire to keep it rigid like was suggested.

Cosplays:

Homestuck
Nepeta Lejion
Damara Megido
Kankri Vantas

Sherlock
John Watson
Red Pants Monday! John

Doctor Who
11th Doctor
cacherlaverite is offline   Reply With Quote