Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average.
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
°Valkyrie°

Eyeshadow Irritation

So for some reason when I use eyeshadow my eyes get very dry and itchy. I had no problem wearing it back and high school but I stopped wearing makeup (other than foundation) for two years because I didn't need it. Now when ever I put it on I always feel like I need to sleep or use eye-drops. I have tried "hypoallergenic" shadows as well as bare minerals and nothing seems to work. I see a dermatologist this coming Thursday so I will probably ask her as well. Any advice on what I can do to wear eyeshadow?

Unread 04-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Stop wearing it until you see the dermatologist. It's possible that the eyeshadow is irritating you because you're sensitive to the ingredients, or because it's contaminated.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼

What the above said. There's no quick-fix for this; your skin may be reacting to some popular ingredient. Even if you tried a hypoallergenic blend - take this from someone else who has extremely sensitive skin - they're often made cheaply.
Ishihara_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Also what brands are you using. what finish is the eyeshadows shimmer or matte. What eyeliner are you using as well. Are you using a primer?

Also when you go, bring in the eyeshadows you have tried and is giving you a problems.

I have issues with bare minerals because of the bismuth oxide (derived from lead mining) the like to put into in high quantities. Most smart mineral makeup brands don't use it's a know irritant. >__>

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 05-01-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Are you using powder or cream eyeshadow? It sounds like you're using powder and the dust is getting in your eyes, causing the irritation.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
°Valkyrie°

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Also what brands are you using. what finish is the eyeshadows shimmer or matte. What eyeliner are you using as well. Are you using a primer?

Also when you go, bring in the eyeshadows you have tried and is giving you a problems.

I have issues with bare minerals because of the bismuth oxide (derived from lead mining) the like to put into in high quantities. Most smart mineral makeup brands don't use it's a know irritant. >__>
I've been trying bare minerals and it's the closest I can get to a non-irritating eyeshadow but it makes me feel super sleepy.
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
°Valkyrie°

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
Are you using powder or cream eyeshadow? It sounds like you're using powder and the dust is getting in your eyes, causing the irritation.
I use powders, I've looked for cream eye shadows because I'm guessing it's the powder but I can never seem to find them.
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

You can mix your eyeshadow with some contact solution or a mixing medium to make a cream shadow.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Boreotheria
n00b

Is it your eyes that get irritated, or your eyelid skin? If it's your eyes themselves, a cream shadow would go a long way towards putting something there that won't fall into your eyes.

I like Makeup Forever for cream shadow. If you have a store like Sephora that carries Bare Minerals, they'll also have that.

Also try eyeshadow pencils, which are closer to a cream than a powder. Lots of brands have those, even drugstore brands.
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Somethingducky

Bare Minerals uses an ingredient called Bismuth in a lot of their products and it is a very common allergen (I know this personally) try looking for a mineral shadow that is Bismuth and talc-free. Aromaleigh, Meow Cosmetics, Fyrinnae Shiro Cosmetics, Silk Naturals, BFTE Cosmetics and Sweetpea&Fay all are smaller indie owned businesses that offer bismuth free mineral makeup. Clinique is also known to have very low allergen formulas.

Also try using a good primer to keep the shadows on your eyelids and not in your eyes. And as always, make sure to wash off really well. If I need to get off my "cosplay eyes" I use a makeup remover on a cotton pad first, than an eyelid-scrub with diluted baby shampoo and finally heavy moisturizer and eye-drops or else I wake up with irritation.

Last edited by Somethingducky : 05-03-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Somethingducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
°Valkyrie°

I actually started of using clinique makeup I don't know why I stopped using their eyeshadow though. I just recently switched back to using their foundation.
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #12
Throatriptron
Tsundere

I'd also highly reccommend trying No7 makeup found at Target. It's the only "hypoallergenic" makeup that I'm not allergic to.

But definitely see your dermatologist and you may want to get an allergy test done?
Throatriptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Boreotheria
n00b

ALSO. The Skin Deep Database is a great resource for seeing what's in cosmetics and which of those ingredients are known to be problematic for various reasons (e.g. toxic, carcinogenic, or just plain irritating).

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

Still, see a dermatologist if you plan on continuing to use makeup, because it's not worth risking your eyesight.
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
phantasystar67

Your dermatologist is going to give you a much more professional opinion than random people on the internet. We aren't professionals and we don't know you in person and we dong know the details- trust what your dermatologist says!

A basic solution, though, is to go to Sephora/wherever and try on a bunch of different ones on your hand and leave it there all day to see if it reacts. If it does, don't use that brand. If none of them, including ones that you know to irritate your eyes make your skin react, the problem may not be allergens at all. It could also be that your skin is dry. Again, dermatologist will know better.
phantasystar67 is offline   Reply With Quote