Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #2371
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I went to Noodles & Company and tried the pad thai for the first time. It was ok, but I think I should just stick with the mac and cheese since it is still my favorite thing there

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #2372
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

We finally went to H Mart (a big Korean market) yesterday and spent like, $45 on probably delicious things. We don't eat a lot of Korean food (yet), so mostly we guessed at what things were good. And I texted my cousin with pictures of shelves of things and asked him which brands he usually got.

I came home from work today and my fiance had made this really tasty seafood pancake with frozen mixed seafood, zucchini, Chinese chives, and some other things.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #2373
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I'm making a beef casserole tonight.

The recipe calls for red wine, but...I don't have any so I'm going to use my mead.
So how did it come out? FTR you can usually just swap out a good broth for red wine in a recipe like stew or casserole, maybe with a little lemon juice or similar to add a little acidity. I'm really interested to see how it tasted with mead, though, since that's so sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanarcah View Post
We finally went to H Mart (a big Korean market) yesterday and spent like, $45 on probably delicious things. We don't eat a lot of Korean food (yet), so mostly we guessed at what things were good. And I texted my cousin with pictures of shelves of things and asked him which brands he usually got.
We have an H Mart about 5 minutes away from our new place and I'm really excited to go shopping. Except I am also clueless when it comes to Korean food and will probably have to experiment.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #2374
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
So how did it come out? FTR you can usually just swap out a good broth for red wine in a recipe like stew or casserole, maybe with a little lemon juice or similar to add a little acidity. I'm really interested to see how it tasted with mead, though, since that's so sweet.
TBH, I couldn't taste any real difference (there was quite a bit of carrot in it as well, so that probably made it quite sweet anyway).

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #2375
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
We have an H Mart about 5 minutes away from our new place and I'm really excited to go shopping. Except I am also clueless when it comes to Korean food and will probably have to experiment.
I am excited for you to go shopping also! The nice thing about H Mart is that everything is really cheap, so if something doesn't turn out well, it won't break your wallet trying something else. It's kind of like Ranch 99, but with a bigger housewares section. The one I went to had big sections of their aisles dedicated to Chinese and Japanese and Filipino ingredients too, instead of just being a strictly Korean.

They're opening an H Mart downtown this fall, close to where I work, so we are feasibly not going to have to drive 40 minutes to get to one anymore.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #2376
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Roasted my first whole chicken for dinner last night. Had to cook it a bit longer than I initiallythought, but dayum, it turned out perfect.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #2377
belligerent
Viking Metal

I really want to grill stuff. Let's see if the weather cooperates.

Sirloin kebab things for dinner tonight (marinated sirloin, onions, peppers, etc), then marinated greek-ish chicken breast and salad for tomorrow + the rest of the week. I also have naan* and am making tzatziki sauce to go with both.

The other night I was annoyed with everything so I ground up some rice with a spice grinder and coated some diced chicken breast with it and stirfried it, serving it over udon with a honey-soy-chili oil-sriracha sauce thing. Not terrible although I would do it differently next time.

*If I ever win the lottery, I'm buying a tandoori oven.

[and two days later edit]

Holy shit I didn't grill it but this kebab dish I made was so fucking good.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago

Last edited by belligerent : 05-12-2013 at 09:31 PM.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #2378
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Gonna make Vietnamese sandwiches tonight. I am super excited~
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #2379
Khorrupt

I went to the World Market with my dad the other day, and he grew up in Scotland, so he's familiar with all this weird European food. He bought something called picallili, which is basically a jar of mustard with vegetables in it.

The thought repulsed me initially, but it's actually really good. Strange how things happen.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Peach (Super Mario Bros.) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #2380
anime_grl

my sister got $6 10-piece fried chicken and a big tub of garlic mashed potatoes from walmart yesterday. not. worth. it. the chicken wasn't even really chicken! except for MAYBE a single breast. that's if you combine all of the meat from each piece. it was bad. if it wasn't so over-cooked it would have been better. the potatoes were decent though. i ended up just scooping the potatoes up with the skin and eating that. loeson learned: just get the damn mozzarella sticks and mac&cheese from walmart. or the general tso's. or chicken strips. i'm hungry

"Life is like a good manga; you just can't stop."

Conventions:
Animarathon 2012
Colossalcon 2012(2014?)
Youmacon 2012
Ohayocon 2013/2014)
anime_grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #2381
anime_grl

so...yay! double post! again.. sorry. i made chocolate-chip pancakes for lunch yesterday! i'd forgotten how yummy they are! too bad we are out of choc. chips =(

"Life is like a good manga; you just can't stop."

Conventions:
Animarathon 2012
Colossalcon 2012(2014?)
Youmacon 2012
Ohayocon 2013/2014)
anime_grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #2382
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Chinese for dinner. Been a heck of a long time. And if I LOSE any more weight before next weekend, I'm not going to be able to keep several pieces of my costume properly on (my stomach paunch has shrunk enough since making Schala and Quorra that it's looking baggy in the front. And my Twilight Sparkle skirt was already a bit too big when I finished it, now it hardly stays safely on without an extra pin)... time to indulge!
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #2383
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

I also had Chinese food for dinner. Mmm...General Tso's chicken.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #2384
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Fiance made this super amazing pork belly marinated with Korean barbecue sauce. It is so good. Just so good.

I feel a little bad that I won't eat any of the fat in the pork belly, though, and just pick out the meat bits. It's like, 2/3 fat.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #2385
Boreotheria
n00b

Dinner tonight will be aloo gobi (potato and cauliflower curry) over brown basmati rice.

I recently rediscovered pre-blended powdered curry spices. They're more authentic and cheaper than curry sauce in jars, and you don't have to go to Little India to get them -- even Wegman's has them fairly cheap around here. There are a couple of different brands. My favourite is MDH, which is found in the Indian/Pakistani/Bengali markets as well as the "ethnic aisles" of chain grocery stores.