Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
Emrys

Body paint review - Snazaroo (aka. I'm BLUE!)

I've noticed a lot of threads lately about painting yourself blue, usually for full body paint. I've recommended Snazaroo face paint before based on my makeup tests and this weeked I finally got to wear it for a full costume!

Here are the results:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/360386/

Paint brand/color: Snazaroo Turquoise face paint
Time to apply: About an hour, give or take
Application method: Applied with a damp round sponge (for large areas)
Time worn: 12+ hours
Painted areas: Two layers on face and midriff, one very watered down layer on hands
Sealant: A quick spray of makeup setting spray before leaving the house, but I applied the second layer at-con so there wasn't any sealant on most of it.
Paint transfer/rub off: A little bit of transfer on the tshirt I wore to breakfast but after about an hour to "fully dry" it doesn't really rub off at all. When it did rub off it was faint and washes right out. Very versatile stuff.
Removal: Just jump in the shower! Soap will help it come off faster, but is not really required. I have very pale skin and just rinsing it off in the sink (so gentle flow) with no scrubbing left some "staining" but it all comes off in the shower (higher presser flow).

I watered it down a lot for my hands - just enough so they're not pink but not enough that it wouldn't rub off when I looked at the merchandise. I put on two layers for my stomach, though not very carefully since I was rushed (you can see where I didn't get some areas in the back). It looks good from a few feet away. Next time I will apply two coats to the back of my hands and the watered down on the palms.

I have one close up pic from the very end of the day where you can see the paint on my stomach looks a little splotchy. Either it faded in the 12 hours since I first applied it or it looked like that all day but it all blended in if you were at least three feet away.

NEW
Quick Tip: Try to find matching tights for your arms and legs, or try dyeing your own to match. For this costume it cut application time in half. I found matching colored tights in kids' sizes which fits my arms perfectly. You may need to wear a white tights underneath so that the color shows up better.

*Snazaroo is a face paint marketed for kids face painting events.
Good for sensitive skin, water-based and washable.

EDIT: 'doh! I just remembered there is a section just for reviews. But this is a response to many separate threads posted here in makeup. Mods, feel free to move to the reviews section if you feel it appropriate.

Last edited by Emrys : 01-25-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Quick Tip explanation
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
cachalot
Blue Mage

Thanks for this! I usually use PAX for body makeup but my husband has very sensitive skin and the last time I used PAX on him it made him break out in a rash. I was trying to find a gentle non-alcohol alternative that could be applied with a brush and washed off easily and this sounds great.

Photography: http://www.seventhmoon.org/photography
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gerodere
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gertysk
cachalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Emrys

I hope it works out!

I've never used theatrical paints so I can't really compare it to anything else. Maybe you can let us know how it holds up after you've tried it.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Casabasa412

Okay. I'm going to need a lot more paint than you lol. I can basically only get tights for my legs, not my arms. My character wears a very tight corset (so obviously the back is open)
Casabasa412 is offline   Reply With Quote