Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #256
Access

xXFailPhotosXx if you are doing something like the photo scavenger hunt and need a picture for that, most of the time you can just ask and people will be glad to oblige. This is typically better than just waiting for it to happen or taking a random picture of the crowd, waiting can waste valuable time, and a picture of a crowd is rarely very good or memorable.

I remember at ALA one past year, one of the things in the scavenger hunt was to take a photo of "two photographers taking a photo of the same cosplayer" which I got asked to do a few times by the participants.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #257
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFailPhotosXx View Post
I saw on an earlier post about how photogs shouldn't sneak into a crowd of photogs to nab a picture. I do this sometimes, but its only because I am not only photographing cosplayers but also the con itself. So a quick snapshot does the trick. But is this still not acceptable? Could I get some clarification on this?
Many people do this and it's not a problem at all if it's a gathering-type shoot for the photogs and anyone who wants a picture.

The problem occurs when there is an arranged shoot between a photographer (or crew) and other photographers/people horn-in and become disruptive.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #258
xXFailPhotosXx
Mama Miki

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
I remember at ALA one past year, one of the things in the scavenger hunt was to take a photo of "two photographers taking a photo of the same cosplayer" which I got asked to do a few times by the participants.
That sounds awesome. I can see how that would work. I guess asking is the key then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsama View Post
The problem occurs when there is an arranged shoot between a photographer (or crew) and other photographers/people horn-in and become disruptive.
Ah, now I understand. Thanks a bunch for the clarification. I shall be a photog with etiquette!~

My friends call me Mama Miki! ^-^ If you ever see me out and about, feel free to ask me for food. At conventions I always have snacks, candy, sandwiches, and/or rice balls with me.
xXFailPhotosXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #259
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
I shall be a photog with etiquette!~
The best kind.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:58 AM   #260
different

Would this be a welcome/ok thing? I'm technically an aspiring director. But I am interested in experimenting with lighting techniques and modeling, and even a bit of make up. It was suggested I lie and say I'm an aspiring photographer etc. on craigslist, though my interest is actually cosplayers. Would cosplayers be willing to go through the hassle or even the travel to a studio where the photographer is an total amateur?
different is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #261
nathancarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by different View Post
Would this be a welcome/ok thing? I'm technically an aspiring director. But I am interested in experimenting with lighting techniques and modeling, and even a bit of make up. It was suggested I lie and say I'm an aspiring photographer etc. on craigslist, though my interest is actually cosplayers. Would cosplayers be willing to go through the hassle or even the travel to a studio where the photographer is an total amateur?
I wouldn't misrepresent yourself, that's just asking for trouble.

However, you can almost certainly collaborate with a photographer (experienced or not) to work together on a shoot. Photographers almost always need competent makeup artists, and often like to work with stylists and directors just get get a little bit of extra creative "juice." Props, posing, set direction, etc. Some photographers are great at giving posing direction, some are not. Some photographers are great at lighting, some are novices.

If you have access to a studio space, that makes it all the more enticing for a photographer and model/cosplayer.

Unread 08-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #262
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

@Different: Don't. Cosplayers are wary of being lied to. Think of all the Skype 'interview' scams that really just want the cosplayer to strip.
Telling a cosplayer you are a photographer then if they find out you're not they will not only be frightened if they already traveled to your studio, but would porobably spread bad word about you.
Just tell them your a director then you'll be fine. (:
Unread 08-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #263
different

I suck at lying anyways. It's not that I'm totally uninterested in photography, just uninterested in it as a profession. I'm being a weird director and wish to have decent knowledge and understanding of every aspect of film production. Which includes everything a photographer needs to make good pictures. I'll probably make a post on here in the near future about it. The studio I have access to is a "public access tv studio" I'm free to use everything it has, cameras, lights, etc. It's not like my personal studio lol.

So I'll probably say "I'm an aspiring director with interest in photography" I'd like to take the pictures myself though they have a DSLR 60 D which is a pretty good camera. I wont really learn anything unless I take them myself.

The main thing I'm worried about is I can't really vouch for the quality of the pictures. I'd hate to make people come over and then they leave with crappy pictures.
different is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #264
nathancarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by different View Post
The main thing I'm worried about is I can't really vouch for the quality of the pictures. I'd hate to make people come over and then they leave with crappy pictures.
Then practice on friends in street clothes until you're confident that you can make good photos when you have a stranger in costume in front of you.

Unread 08-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #265
Brea
Business Student

Quote:
I saw on an earlier post about how photogs shouldn't sneak into a crowd of photogs to nab a picture. I do this sometimes, but its only because I am not only photographing cosplayers but also the con itself. So a quick snapshot does the trick. But is this still not acceptable? Could I get some clarification on this?
THIS HAPPENS AT EVERY SINGLE CON. It's legal, you're in a public place, you are allowed to. Take the pictures as you please. This happens to me and every other photographer. As a photographer myself, I am not at my own studio, so denying them the opportunity to snap a picture would be plain rude. I look at it this way: If I am having a photoshoot, I have control of the shot, I am allowed to shoot at whatever frame/angle I choose, I will have the best shots in your camera. I don't care if other photographers come and snap 1 picture or 2, as long as they are not ruining my shot. If someone nags you about it, they're probably just a finicky person.

Last edited by Brea : 09-02-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #266
figment1986
Part of Figmentsmedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brea View Post
THIS HAPPENS AT EVERY SINGLE CON. It's legal, you're in a public place, you are allowed to. Take the pictures as you please. This happens to me and every other photographer. As a photographer myself, I am not at my own studio, so denying them the opportunity to snap a picture would be plain rude. I look at it this way: If I am having a photoshoot, I have control of the shot, I am allowed to shoot at whatever frame/angle I choose, I will have the best shots in your camera. I don't care if other photographers come and snap 1 picture or 2, as long as they are not ruining my shot. If someone nags you about it, they're probably just a finicky person.
Thank you! There have been times I'm in a crowd and the cosplayer is already set for something and I just get my own shot AFTER the initial photographer gets his. I try to thank the cosplayer afterward though and hand them my card so they can find the shot later.
figment1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #267
SBoo
Photographer

Hey everyone, I'm asking both cosplayers as well as any lurking photographers about this to hear your advice/thoughts. There are a few questions mixed in here, sorry in advance if I start rambling, lol.

I'm setting up my business right now and am pretty much good to go when it comes to certificates and licenses. I'll be going to ShadoCon in October and I'm definitely planning on taking photos then. I want to get more specific images than the straight-on hallway pose, so I'm going to ask people to "pretend your character is waiting for someone" or something else specific, and then give out my business card afterward so they can find the pics on my FB. I think it would be more fun to see everyone's interpretations of a specific direction, and it might be easier on newer cosplayers.

First question: Would that be annoying for cosplayers? Keep in mind that I'm a really friendly person so I'm not going to go up to people and immediately start ordering them around. XD

Second question: Would it be appropriate of me to ask if they're interested in a 30-min. shoot afterwards, about $20-25 dollars? Is this typically how things are done at cons? I'm fairly confident in my skills as a photographer, though I might make the first few I do free because I'll be experimenting.

Thanks in advance! Gah I'm so nervous but so excited for October.

ShadoCon!
SBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #268
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

I'm not a cosplayer but I doubt that would be annoying. I see a lot of work from the videographers at cons where they give them directions like that to fit the concept of their cosplay music videos.

I've never asked to charge someone for a shoot while at the con. Most of my shoots are paid bookings but I do it ahead of time on this forum and my facebook page. I don't want to say don't do it, but anytime I've offered a photoshoot while at the con itself has been done for free, so it'd be wise to ask a cosplayer with something you're looking for. Another reason to go against it is that they have no portfolio to look at. But hey, I'm sure you'll have a better picture of the given scenario than I do if you decide to give it a try =)

Good luck!

Upcoming Conventions:

Comikaze 2014 Will be holding panels on Posing for Cosplay Photography! Contact for limited photoshoot bookings.
Blizzcon Contact for bookings!
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:22 AM   #269
figment1986
Part of Figmentsmedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBoo View Post
First question: Would that be annoying for cosplayers? Keep in mind that I'm a really friendly person so I'm not going to go up to people and immediately start ordering them around. XD

Second question: Would it be appropriate of me to ask if they're interested in a 30-min. shoot afterwards, about $20-25 dollars? Is this typically how things are done at cons? I'm fairly confident in my skills as a photographer, though I might make the first few I do free because I'll be experimenting.

Thanks in advance! Gah I'm so nervous but so excited for October.
It would not be annoying, as long as your friendly, and ask could we shoot a pose like this ot that, a lot of cosplayers like it when photographers suggest poses cause it gives THEM something new to find versus the same pose over and over and over. If they don't like it, then don't take offense and shoot what they want or move on.

I'm going to be honest, i wouldn't solicit for charged shoots at a con, Id recommend doing free only, build up your portfolio, then solicit online. The beauty is if they like your work then when you offer slots and its affordable they might just book it. you can still go ahead and do that, but you might want to have something for them to look at cause no portfolio cosplayers will be very hesitant to do it cause they don't know if they would get results. (there are a lot of flakes out there)
figment1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #270
Access

One other things to add, a lot of cons may frown upon solicitation or people approaching their members out of the blue and trying to sell them a good / service.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote