Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #5626
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Aside from Gears, I finally got back to giving my 3DS games some love. Got a good amount of time in on Fire Emblem and Rocket Slime 3DS.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #5627
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Aside from Gears, I finally got back to giving my 3DS games some love. Got a good amount of time in on Fire Emblem and Rocket Slime 3DS.
How are you enjoying Judgement? Are you playing with friends at all? I went through the campaign alone at first, and while I enjoyed the story and gameplay (including little additions like the declassified missions and the "horde" levels, etc) I found it was really designed to be a multiplayer experience. While the bots were OK, at times it was like - I really think this would be better with other people.

Aaand I'm back on Borderlands 2, working through my True Vault Hunter Mode playthrough of Captain Scarlett's missions with my main character - it feels good to be gaming again! I also intend to get some Gears of War: Judgement multiplayer in over the next couple of days with the hubby and friends, and have been craving Bioshock (both Infinite and the earlier ones, thanks to all the discussion in this thread ) so we'll see where that goes :P

Works in Progress
Gaige - 75% done (on hold)
Gecko Moria - 90% done, props need to be finished

Completed Costumes - Moxxi|Dr Zed|Robin

The Crankypants Chronicles | Facebook Page | deviantArt
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #5628
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCrankypants View Post
How are you enjoying Judgement? Are you playing with friends at all? I went through the campaign alone at first, and while I enjoyed the story and gameplay (including little additions like the declassified missions and the "horde" levels, etc) I found it was really designed to be a multiplayer experience. While the bots were OK, at times it was like - I really think this would be better with other people.
Yeah, I'm playing co-op with my fiancÚ‎. I don't think I'd be enjoying it alone! It's definitely designed to be played with friends, especially things like horde levels and the declassified options. I think we'd have even more fun 4-player like we did with Gears 3, but we're enjoying it. It's weird how it feels like a multiplayer match with a continued story!

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #5629
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

-Waiting for a Black Friday sale for GoW:Judgement and Halo 4, because my blacklog is insane.
-Finally got my copy of Borderland 2 back so I can redeem the free DLC I got at PAX, and then not play it <_<.
-Console wise, playing Dragon Age one, which man, was a mistake post-ME. I like the characters/plot/sotry just fine, it's just the combat and menue designs I'm not crazy about.
-PC wise, that sweet sweet XCOM:EU. India redrew from the XCOM program so eff them, my nightmares on legs (aka snipers) don't need them anyway.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #5630
LadyCrankypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Yeah, I'm playing co-op with my fiancÚ‎. I don't think I'd be enjoying it alone! It's definitely designed to be played with friends, especially things like horde levels and the declassified options. I think we'd have even more fun 4-player like we did with Gears 3, but we're enjoying it. It's weird how it feels like a multiplayer match with a continued story!
It was a little strange that way, but in the end I felt the story worked out well. It is fun 4-player, but with friends we tend to end up sticking mostly to multiplayer or overrun, I REALLY enjoy a good match of overrun

That said, I've been pretty much alternating between Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite over the last little while. In Borderlands I'm plugging through True Vault Hunter Mode and taking advantage of the fact that my main char can finally level again, and in Bioshock Infinite I'm working slowly through 1999 mode, which I find infinitely frustrating. I really HATE losing money to respawn, so I tend to end up doing harder sequences multiple times in an attempt to not lose money. It gets pretty frustrating pretty quickly

Works in Progress

Unread 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #5631
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Finished Bioshock2. Really enjoyed both games a lot, but there were enough things that bugged me that I wouldn't put them on my A list. More like A-/B+

Started the first Borderlands. I'm still on the fence. It's kind of fun, but there doesn't seem to be much to figure out. Go here, kill things, don't die, come back. Not sure how long it will hold my interest. The difficulty seems all over the map. Some Normal missions are too easy, some are tough. Some Difficults (2 levels above me) are not too bad, some are impossible for me. But I'm o.k with the motion. Luckily the vehicle is not first person. I really like running over things.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #5632
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

Have 7 Main Missions left on Borderlands 2. I did not like the first Borderlands just felt (eh) the 2nd one is not really any better. but i will finish the game and be done with it.
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #5633
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Finished Bioshock2. Really enjoyed both games a lot, but there were enough things that bugged me that I wouldn't put them on my A list. More like A-/B+

Started the first Borderlands. I'm still on the fence. It's kind of fun, but there doesn't seem to be much to figure out. Go here, kill things, don't die, come back. Not sure how long it will hold my interest. The difficulty seems all over the map. Some Normal missions are too easy, some are tough. Some Difficults (2 levels above me) are not too bad, some are impossible for me. But I'm o.k with the motion. Luckily the vehicle is not first person. I really like running over things.
My personal beef with BS2 is that it didnt take enough risks. Going back to Rapture felt like a step back, not a step forward to me, as I thoguht 1 did a fine job of telling that story. Which is probably why I loved Infinite, aside from it being an amazing game.

And as someone who sunk about 30-40 hours in BL1, yeah, shit get repeatitive. I was lucky that I rolled with a crew of 5-6 dudes who also bought Borderlands for the X-BRox, because there was much fun to be had with multiplayer. BL2 did a good job of addressing some of my problems with one, making it a better next-gen Diablo then but if you're not digging 1, chances are 2 isn't going to do much for ya.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #5634
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
My personal beef with BS2 is that it didnt take enough risks. Going back to Rapture felt like a step back, not a step forward to me, as I thoguht 1 did a fine job of telling that story. Which is probably why I loved Infinite, aside from it being an amazing game.
No argument from me on this. Much as I liked both games, they were so similar that by the end of BS2 I'd definitely had enough. In hindsight, it was probably a mistake for me to play them consecutively. But I felt like I had to tackle them both before I tried Infinite, even though I know that the stories are not related at all.

Quote:
And as someone who sunk about 30-40 hours in BL1, yeah, shit get repeatitive. I was lucky that I rolled with a crew of 5-6 dudes who also bought Borderlands for the X-BRox, because there was much fun to be had with multiplayer. BL2 did a good job of addressing some of my problems with one, making it a better next-gen Diablo then but if you're not digging 1, chances are 2 isn't going to do much for ya.
I can see how it would be a fun multi-player game for those who like that kind of thing. It's a very competent game. The gameplay is smooth and I like the art style. It's just not anything very special. Though I like the sort of Sci-Fi/Wild West vibe, the environment gets monotonous. I don't bother exploring because it all looks the same and there's no really awesome loot. The story is sort of a place holder. It has its amusing parts, but I thought it would be funnier. I don't really know why I thought that. But it's fairly short - I have another section or two and have done all the Bounty Board missions - so I'll finish it. But I doubt I'll bother with any of the DLC or the second one.

Last edited by The Hag : 05-28-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #5635
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
No argument from me on this. Much as I liked both games, they were so similar that by the end of BS2 I'd definitely had enough. In hindsight, it was probably a mistake for me to play them consecutively. But I felt like I had to tackle them both before I tried Infinite, even though I know that the stories are not related at all.
To be fair, I've played BS1 and BS2 2 years apart and wasn't that thrilled with the end product. And I still pray that you can stomach BSI.

Quote:
I can see how it would be a fun multi-player game for those who like that kind of thing. It's a very competent game. The gameplay is smooth and I like the art style. It's just not anything very special. Though I like the sort of Sci-Fi/Wild West vibe, the environment gets monotonous. I don't bother exploring because it all looks the same and there's no really awesome loot. The story is sort of a place holder. It has its amusing parts, but I thought it would be funnier. I don't really know why I thought that. But it's fairly short - I have another section or two and have done all the Bounty Board missions - so I'll finish it. But I doubt I'll bother with any of the DLC or the second one.
My inital BL1 run was about 30 hours, sans DLC. Also, some of the rare loot IS awesome, like a gun that shoots BEES. Everything else I agree with you about. BS2 was an improvement in terms of environment and narrative, not to mention gameplay options, but if you didnt dig 1, no way should you drop the $$ on BL2. What class did you roll btw? I played as a Sniper in 1.

Unread 05-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #5636
LadyCrankypants

Quote:

What really drew me in for Borderlands was the art style, attitude and dark humor. That and I like exploring, searching, finding loot, collecting things, listening to audio tapes, it suits my gaming style. And it is fun to play with people, but just as much fun for me without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicdedman View Post
Have 7 Main Missions left on Borderlands 2. I did not like the first Borderlands just felt (eh) the 2nd one is not really any better. but i will finish the game and be done with it.
Fair enough. I wasn't feeling it at first (Handsome Jack was a little hard to swallow, it really felt like they were forcing the "funny douche" attitude down your throat), but by about the time I hit level 10 I was hooked. I now have a Siren and a Mechromancer up to the old level cap (working on getting back into it). It's really one of those things that you love or hate, but I love all the little inside jokes, references, and just the overall look and feel of the game. I can't stop playing <3

Except that I'm stuck on my Bioshock Infinite 1999 playthrough... Getting there! Just finished the first fight with the "Ghost." It takes a lot of patience to get through without dying... My usual playing style is more of a barge in and kill everything, in 1999 you have to be a bit more tactical

Works in Progress

Unread 05-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #5637
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
And I still pray that you can stomach BSI.
Turns out that Boy-type bought BSI. For PC. Asshole. I told him that he has to at least let me try it on his rig so that I know whether to buy it for one of the consoles.

Quote:
Also, some of the rare loot IS awesome, like a gun that shoots BEES. Everything else I agree with you about.
O.k. dude, I googled like crazy and could find no mention of this, because now I totally want it. All I came up with was a Bee Shield in BL2. And see - this was the kind of thing I thought that the whole game would have. I thought that there would be more goofy stuff in the gameplay, not just in the dialogue. Though I did find Tannis' recordings to be quite hilarious.

Quote:
BS2 was an improvement in terms of environment and narrative, not to mention gameplay options, but if you didnt dig 1, no way should you drop the $$ on BL2.
I don't dislike the game. It's fun enough. I'm just not ever going to be a huge fangirl of it. I like it somewhat less that the new Tomb Raider but way, WAY better than AC3. Eh, if I see the second one for cheap, I might pick it up.

Quote:
What class did you roll btw? I played as a Sniper in 1.
Mordecai also. It is, in fact, the first time I have every declined to play the female option. Partly because I always roll with the most rogue-like class and partly because it's a FPS and I wouldn't be able to look at my lovely ass anyway.

Quote:
What really drew me in for Borderlands was the art style, attitude and dark humor. That and I like exploring, searching, finding loot, collecting things, listening to audio tapes, it suits my gaming style.
I like all those things too. And I did like a lot of things about the game. My biggest complaint was that while I liked the art style, there just wasn't enough variety for me in the environments - not just the way they look but also how you move through them. There were a couple of exceptions, Old Haven I liked. Also the waterfront one - I forget the name, the one where you blow-up fish and boats. My other problem with it - and this is totally a personal thing - was that I had a very hard time getting the right difficulty. 95% of the time I felt really over-leveled. I tried really hard not to be - I'd do the side missions, but not turn them in until I finished the storyline ones, I ran past as many of the random mobs as I could. But after the first area, I never got a "Difficult" rated mission. I just don't find it very entertaining to be one-hit killing the vast majority of the enemies. The other 5% of the time? The game is totally breaking my balls! XD Currently getting my ass kicked by Baron Whatsisname, the guy who sits in the big machine/tower/chair/thing. I've tried a number of different strategies and haven't even come close.

Last edited by The Hag : 05-29-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #5638
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Turns out that Boy-type bought BSI. For PC. Asshole. I told him that he has to at least let me try it on his rig so that I know whether to buy it for one of the consoles.
YESSSSS <3 Superior version is superior, even if you play it with a 360 controller. I am EXCITE for you!

Quote:
O.k. dude, I googled like crazy and could find no mention of this, because now I totally want it. All I came up with was a Bee Shield in BL2. And see - this was the kind of thing I thought that the whole game would have. I thought that there would be more goofy stuff in the gameplay, not just in the dialogue. Though I did find Tannis' recordings to be quite hilarious.

I don't dislike the game. It's fun enough. I'm just not ever going to be a huge fangirl of it. I like it somewhat less that the new Tomb Raider but way, WAY better than AC3. Eh, if I see the second one for cheap, I might pick it up.

Mordecai also. It is, in fact, the first time I have every declined to play the female option. Partly because I always roll with the most rogue-like class and partly because it's a FPS and I wouldn't be able to look at my lovely ass anyway.
It was a SUPER rare drop. I forgot how I got it, but it was definetly from a man on the internet, not a drop. But yeah the humor is mostly dialogue based in 1, 2 takes some more risks and is geniunely hilarious at times. Weapons-based humor...I think Cranky can give you a better picture, but humor based weapons are still a minimum. Although you do get a screaming gun/ shield combo which is super funny to me.

Lilith is cool, but nice to know you rolled sniper too. I switch things up and rolled Axeton for 2, but I think I have a low level character for every class except Gunzerker.

Unread 05-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #5639
LadyCrankypants

Quote:
I second Chris's EXCITE. The game is absolutely beautiful (in visuals, music, and gameplay) and I find Elizabeth to be an excellent companion - no need to protect, and she finds useful stuff for you!

Quote:
Never heard of a bee gun, and can't remember too much goofiness aside from quest and dialogue stuffs... That said, I want a pet Scrappy. In BL2, as Chris mentioned, there are definitely more goofy kit items, silly quests, "random" occurences, and soooo many references and inside jokes. I haven't found many non-quest related random drop stuff that's goofy, but there are guns that scream, or add input on what to do, or shout insults, make you unable to run, etc. The orange/legendary drops are also pretty awesome, and many have benefits that aren't immediately apparent. My favourite was "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot," a shield that on being damaged would spawn mines which spawned more mines on explosion - awesome!

Quote:
I stuck with Lilith for my main player... If weapons were class based, I most likely would have ended up with Mordecai, but since everyone can use everything, female! That, and flame wings = awesome sauce.

Quote:
I like all those things too. And I did like a lot of things about the game. My biggest complaint was that while I liked the art style, there just wasn't enough variety for me in the environments - not just the way they look but also how you move through them. There were a couple of exceptions, Old Haven I liked. Also the waterfront one - I forget the name, the one where you blow-up fish and boats. My other problem with it - and this is totally a personal thing - was that I had a very hard time getting the right difficulty. 95% of the time I felt really over-leveled. I tried really hard not to be - I'd do the side missions, but not turn them in until I finished the storyline ones, I ran past as many of the random mobs as I could. But after the first area, I never got a "Difficult" rated mission. I just don't find it very entertaining to be one-hit killing the vast majority of the enemies. The other 5% of the time? The game is totally breaking my balls! XD Currently getting my ass kicked by Baron Whatsisname, the guy who sits in the big machine/tower/chair/thing. I've tried a number of different strategies and haven't even come close.
The environments are definitely more varied in BL2, and there are some downright neat places. As for difficulty, I don't recall having that problem (may just be character choice/playing style) but I definitly found a lot of challenge throughout BL2.

Quote:
Lilith is cool, but nice to know you rolled sniper too. I switch things up and rolled Axeton for 2, but I think I have a low level character for every class except Gunzerker.
I have one of each, with Maya and Gaige up to 50, and the rest 30 or under. I haven't invested in Kreig because melee isn't really my style, as neat as his powers look. I'm not sure if I'll keep plugging to get any of my characters up to the new level cap, though, as levelling seems to be soooo slooooow past 50. Maybe I just need to be at the right area in the game, but for now, slooooooow.

And progress continues in my 1999 mode playthrough, finally finished with the ghost fights, and have made my way into Comstock House. I'm still not sure why I decided I really needed to complete a 1999 mode playthrough, but I've come this far, so in spite of frustration, I'm darn well going to finish.

Works in Progress

Unread 05-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #5640
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Quote:
I stuck with Lilith for my main player... If weapons were class based, I most likely would have ended up with Mordecai, but since everyone can use everything, female! That, and flame wings = awesome sauce.
With the phasewalk thing, she seemed too Mage-y (though that may be an incorrect assumption) and I didn't want to play as a Mage in an FPS. And, tbh, I'm not that crazy about the character design - not that you ever see yourself! The hip-pop, head-tilt poses are not my thing. I like the Maya design better. If I pick up BL2 I'll probably go with her. And you guys are making it sound pretty appealing. Plus I'm liking the ending of BL1 more. It's a change of scenery and I now have a giant alien laser cannon!