Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

ya.. agree Im super pale, like burn during summer (which sucks cause my con is a summer con!) but my fav thing to tan me up a little is an all over brushing of bronzer on my face instead of using blush.
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
Pheasants

Even if you don't want to get a full spray tan, you can get a gradual tanning moisturiser or a rub-on one day tan like I've seen the girly girls at my school use at prom.
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
Shirayuki~Chan

Bronzer works really well! That's what my friend and I used for our Katara ad Sokka cosplays! I'm very, very, pale as well, but bronzer gives you a nice, tan look that looks pretty natural! It also lasts a long time, and you can use it on your arms, etc. Make sure to do your research, though, because you don't want to get a cheap, super orange one. It's worth getting a pricier bronzer to avoid looking like an oompa loompa.

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #19
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼

You could find a nice bronzer, but as a white person, this is probably a really bad idea. Find another character. There are tons for you to choose from.
Ishihara_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Borzser doesn't work on super pale gals they all look orange if you as pale as me or paler. (from you profile photo you look pale with a blue undertone)

But contuering will give your skin more depth to you skin!

If you really want to go with a skin colour shange you will need to go with the body paint route. You want to go with a olive foundation tone because warm nutral will go orange on your skin. Turst me all foundation i tired to look darker looks ORANGE or PINK on my skin and not natural at all.

You will also need two tones a high light and shadow to get a natural look to your skin. If you just paint one colour it will look fake. Also adding in texture back into the skin is a nice why to fool the eyes.

Great tutorial on this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBUfJ3fqjSI

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
timeisgalleons
an actual princess

Thank you for your input, everyone! I'll take bronzer into consideration. I've just had a lot of people warn me about cosplaying a character with much darker skin than mine.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 group
(Hiccup, Astrid, Ruffnut, Tuffnut)

timeisgalleons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
timeisgalleons
an actual princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Borzser doesn't work on super pale gals they all look orange if you as pale as me or paler. (from you profile photo you look pale with a blue undertone)

But contuering will give your skin more depth to you skin!

If you really want to go with a skin colour shange you will need to go with the body paint route. You want to go with a olive foundation tone because warm nutral will go orange on your skin. Turst me all foundation i tired to look darker looks ORANGE or PINK on my skin and not natural at all.

You will also need two tones a high light and shadow to get a natural look to your skin. If you just paint one colour it will look fake. Also adding in texture back into the skin is a nice why to fool the eyes.

Great tutorial on this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBUfJ3fqjSI
Thank you!

My skin is so pale that with some foundations, I have to add white pigment. It really sucks, and a lot of foundation does make me look orange.

The tutorial is great!

How to Train Your Dragon 2 group
(Hiccup, Astrid, Ruffnut, Tuffnut)

timeisgalleons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #23
Hikaruhime
I'm jusaiyan

Woooooow. Not trying to sound condescending here, but tanning is not a form of racism. I tan my skin year-round because I like having darker skin. I don't walk into a grocery store and have people stop me and say, "Hey! Your tan skin is racist!" That's just ridiculous and crazy.

Tanning for cosplay is not racist either; I don't care what some silly "community" says. If anything, it's COMPLIMENTING those races because you're taking that character's ethnicity seriously enough to try to mimic it instead of just turning the character's appearance into another white character.

Anyway. If you decide to fake tan, Fake Bake is one of the best fake tanning brands used by serious tanners. I don't fake tan very often, but I have used Fake Bake Original and found it to look quite natural. Also, you could check into some tanning salons in your area that offer VersaSpa and Mystic Tan. Both of those are spray tanning machines and work quite well. If you're interested in learning about fake tanning and the proper way to go about it, I recommend reading/asking on a tanning forum, such as http://iamtanforever.proboards.com. Again, not trying to sound condescending, but the cosplay community as a whole (as in, not every single person) is generally anti-tan and, therefore, not super knowledgeable about the various brands and methods out there.
Tokyo in Tulsa // Tulsa, OK

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:
Isis from SMITE
Capitol Citizen from Hunger Games

Mythos Creations Cosplay Group
Hikaruhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #24
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishihara_Seth View Post
You could find a nice bronzer, but as a white person, this is probably a really bad idea. Find another character. There are tons for you to choose from.
I find this kind of funny, since there's been this whole big thing on it being okay for people with darker skin to cosplay pale characters.

...But this post is off topic because I don't have anything to say in regard to the initial question that hasn't already been said.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #25
Kelley
Devil of Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
I find this kind of funny, since there's been this whole big thing on it being okay for people with darker skin to cosplay pale characters.

...But this post is off topic because I don't have anything to say in regard to the initial question that hasn't already been said.
I'm guessing it's because to the outside world it's a completely different issue (and still is within cosplay due to the media it's based off).

Minorities receive very little representation in anime and media in general unless it's targeted at them or an exceptional case/indie/et cetera. So if you're not fair-skinned there's very little for you to cosplay without altering your skin - and people hardly ever tell a darker skinned person to lighten their skin unless they bring it up as something they want to do - and when it's discussed it's the same as we've done here. Lightening skin is typically to the same extent of "change" as a white person using bronzer or fake bake, anyway.

And like you said - it's okay for a darker skinned person to cosplay a light character, and people are saying you can do Kuzco as a costume without darkening your skin or just doing fake bake.

Yeah, it's kind of a heated issue because it's tied up in a lot of emotional and powerful stuff. And that's okay. It's okay to talk about it and how it makes people feel. It's good to communicate - I don't really see anyone in this thread being grossly disrespectful.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
Akune-chan

For my Prince Soma Cosplay I used Ben Nye's Foundation in Dark Egyptian. It works like a charm, easy to remove and you look tanner than usually. However I think Dark Egyptian would be a tad too dark for Kuzco.

I'd go maybe with the Light Egyptian or something else.

And no one ever really came up to me claiming that I was "Black facing" while cosplaying Yami Marik or Prince Soma. In fact they were thrilled that I was willing to go the extra mile to make myself darker than I am for accuracy.

Stay the fuck away from tanning beds. Those things are cancerous coffins.

And honestly I don't see how this is blackfacing. Unless you aren't going to act like a jackass, fit into a certain stereotype, there really shouldn't even be a problem. Also, Kuzco isn't even black/African American. He is Mayan/Inca/South American. So I don't see how darkening your skin to represent tan people = blackfacing.

Last edited by Akune-chan : 05-14-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
phantasystar67

I'm also super super super pale and have to add white pigment to my foundation- by the way, MAC and Urban Decay both have super pale foundations that match even my skin, they're just expensive but if you have a little extra money to invest in foundation, take a look at them- and I use Too Faced bronzing powder for contouring and it looks great! It would probably also look good for an all over bronzer. Btw, I know bronzer is notorious for making people look orange, but some of the higher end brands are really nice. You should probably dish out a little bit extra and get a good quality bronzing powder. It could come in handy for contouring after you're done with this cosplay!

And on the subject of racism, it isn't racist even if some people are pig-heads and think it is. And also, what's the chance that out of every person wearing a dark foundation/light foundation etc, they'll pick you out as being a bad person? I think every cosplay blog in the universe talks about how they get foundation a shade or two lighter. If that is acceptable, then so is darkening. It's not like you are making fun of anyone.
phantasystar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #28
Ronnichu
Hairy Hooligan

This has been said, but I thought I'd post and say that just a little bit of bronzer can do a lot. I'm super pale as well, and I was really hesitant to use a bronzer, but I'm facing a similar situation with my cosplay. So, I bought some last night, and I'm wearing it now- it gives me just a little bit of a "sun-kissed" healthy glow. I really like it.

If you go with a bronzer, just avoid getting one with red tones.
Ronnichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #29
Rukeya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaruhime View Post
Woooooow. Not trying to sound condescending here, but tanning is not a form of racism.
I don't think anyone in this thread called tanning racist (everyone's been recommending it, actually) -- Just warning against using theatrical makeup to mimic another ethnicity.
Rukeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
belligerent
Viking Metal

Ben Nye makes something called a "bronzing liquid" that was apparently formulated for Yul Brenner in the King and I (which makes it even less politically correct, probably). That's what I used when I cosplayed Turkey, since I am pretty pale. It was kind of the equivalent of tanning except that there wasn't the orange cast of a lot of DIY tanners.

You're going to get flak either way if you use a fake tan or leave your skin as-is, so weigh which kind of flak you'd rather have and prepare for it.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote