Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 05-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Photos with large props?

Do you guys and gals have any neat photos you had taken of cosplayers with large props? I'd like to start thinking up angles and focal lengths that would work best. I might be having a photoshoot of someone at a convention in a skirt with 5 foot (bow) and 8 foot props (spear). The skirt kind of limits lower angles I'd feel comfortable shooting with a wide lens. Off hand, I'm thinking if I can find enough room I'd just go telephoto for the compression.

Unread 05-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
ImNewHere
The new guy.

I've actually thought of that and came up with a solution I am going to try for ACen. I'll put my Tamron 17-50 on my K5 and either my Sigma 8-16 or Tamron 10-24 on my K-01 and see how it work out for people with large groups or large props that come by the booth. I've never tried one of my UWA lenses in an indoor venue, so it will be interesting.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
Access

It really depends on your intention, for instance if the weapon is supposed to be a truly giant weapon, you can use the ultra wide angle to make it appear even larger than it really is (either distance or spatial distortion).
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

I usually angle the prop diagonally and keep it close to the body. Naturally, if you have a wide angle lens that helps.

Don't know if this image qualifies as a large prop but this is generally how I have the coslpayers hold them when I don't have a wide lens:

Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
blufox4900

Hmm, I'd probably have them just hold the bow from the floor up, that'd give a pretty good reference for sizing as well if you don't have enough space. Otherwise I'd just go with a full body shot with a telephoto lens.
blufox4900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Shooting with a wide from above is often a good bet for these kinds of things. Forget skirt length, shooting with one from a low angle is a recipe for double chins or awkward up-nose shots anyway.

A tele from far away is generally my choice for this kind of thing, though. Making the cosplayer look good is always priority number one and teles are great at that, and the compression suits this kind of thing. You also gain more ability to pull the appropriate amount of depth of field for more agressive poses without also having a tack sharp background, unlike up close with a WA where it's either a choice of an out of focus prop or shooting f/ a billion and having point and shoot DoF.

Oh, if you have a full-frame camera and/or a really fast wide-normal lens, that's also a really cool option. 35 or 50 1.4, framed horizontal, wide open gives you lots of prop space and that cool dramatic background separation. a 24 1.4 can also be really cool for this kind of thing if you're on FF, and 85 is classic but needs a good amount of distance for a full-length horizontal photo.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Archer View Post
Shooting with a wide from above is often a good bet for these kinds of things. Forget skirt length, shooting with one from a low angle is a recipe for double chins or awkward up-nose shots anyway.

A tele from far away is generally my choice for this kind of thing, though. Making the cosplayer look good is always priority number one and teles are great at that, and the compression suits this kind of thing. You also gain more ability to pull the appropriate amount of depth of field for more agressive poses without also having a tack sharp background, unlike up close with a WA where it's either a choice of an out of focus prop or shooting f/ a billion and having point and shoot DoF.

Oh, if you have a full-frame camera and/or a really fast wide-normal lens, that's also a really cool option. 35 or 50 1.4, framed horizontal, wide open gives you lots of prop space and that cool dramatic background separation. a 24 1.4 can also be really cool for this kind of thing if you're on FF, and 85 is classic but needs a good amount of distance for a full-length horizontal photo.
Thanks.

I usually go pretty light and rely on what I can easily carry around in a small-ish bag, so I'm probably bringing D600, D7000, 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, and 85mm f1.8. Still debating on the 85 because the newest sling I use is pretty small.
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Personally I wouldn't even carry the D7000. I shoot with two bodies for my serious stuff but for cosplay it's not worth the size and weight to me, and when I tried it at con I ended up just using my FF body anyway.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

There are so many ways to Photograph a cosplayer with a very large prop. I like to be prepared with a wide assortment of lenses. Any Focal length can have potential. It all depends, of course, on the the effect you want. I tend to like to exaggerate the size with wide lenses, but I can also see the value in using a telephoto or normal lens...All these choices also change the background composition.

A modestly wide lens can do just fine.

Very wide lenses can have shots with a lot of depth, distortion, and extreme angles.

A normal to slightly telephoto lens can be a good effective. Some objects can leave the frame, with the viewer still able to imagine what was left outside the frame

Even a short skirts can be photographed from low angles if posed in ways that conceal what needs to be concealed.

Last edited by brucer007 : 05-19-2013 at 02:10 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote