Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Captain Jack Sparrow Update

I haven't posted here in a while and thought I'd update with some new photos I got taken of me while I was at college. These photos were taken by MarmaladeSkyGirl45 Photography

I have a couple of things to mention here before I let you guys have at it:
1). It has been brought to my attention on a couple of occasions that I seem to be lacking in the eyebrow area, which is something I had overlooked since my Bandana usually sits low enough so that my eyebrows aren't very visible. In these photos though, unfortunately, it is not sitting on my head properly :'(
2). I am missing Jack Sparrow's bead strand because I had lost it the day before these photos were taken. I have considered photoshopping one in, but it's not really worth it since most people don't notice (or at least I don't think they notice)
3). That little blue thing hanging from my belt is not screen accurate, I just added that because my friend gave it to me and I needed something extra there since my chicken foot broke (still need to replace that)
4). My costume looks really clean :-P It looks much dirtier in person but I guess I should have done more weathering on it so that the weathering shows up in the photos. I am just so afraid to mess things up so I am very hesitant to heavily weather my costume.

Other than that, you guys can have at it and critique away. Mostly I am looking for posing suggestions as I seem to always have trouble posing as Jack Sparrow, even though I know the character really well, I always seem to fall into the same poses/can't pose creatively. The poses in the photos below are ones I liked and wanted to try and replicate.They are from some of the promo images of Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow. Also any tips you guys have on costume weathering, tea staining, adding dirt etc would be really helpful.

Pose from one of the On Stranger Tides promo images.

Haha this one is my forum avatar. Original pose is from a Curse of the Black Pearl promo image.

The original pose can be seen Here

This one shows my costume pretty well. Since the last time I posted I have done small updates... changed out the Anna Maria belt so that the buckle and belt is accurate to At World's End, bought a new ring from ACME Brand replicas, got a modified compass, bought a more screen accurate shirt, got my sword modified, replaced the buttons on my vest with more accurate silver smith-like buttons (exact same design, made of plastic though, these will be replaced soon along with my waistcoat), and learned to tie my sash better lol After these photos were taken I also upgraded my baldric (bought one from ACME Brand replicas). I will probably update this thread once I update totally to OST.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account

Last edited by SweeneyTodd : 05-20-2013 at 02:18 AM.
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Identity-Crisis

Have you tried filling in your eyebrows?
That way even if you set the bandanna higher they're not going to look out of place.
Identity-Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
SweeneyTodd

I will do that next time I go out as Jack Sparrow

When I did Sweeney I darkened them by lightly brushing mascara on them since that looked more natural to me than penciling them in. I may experiment with both methods though

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

Nicely done! You did an excellent job here and in my eyes, you left every stone unturned with the detail. My only nitpick is the bandanna seems a bit thick, as in it covers the head a little too much off the top, but that's a personal nitpick, everything else is pretty much spot on.
Tommy Vercetti (GTA Vice City)
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Rex Power Colt (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)
Mankind (WWE)
Post-Apocalypse Thor (Marvel)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
SweeneyTodd

Thank you very much!

As for the bandana... I have actually had Jack Sparrow impersonators tell me that this is the right width for it. Might just look too wide because my head is small or (as I stated above) it wasn't sitting on my head as evenly as it should have. But in this pic, you can see it's actually pretty wide. Mine was just sitting awkwardly on my head in these photos

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

Doesn't have to be the perfect width, you can maybe adjust it a tiny bit based on your own head if it looks a bit awkward. Then again, I'm very much impressed with what you've done here, and that bandanna thing was only a personal taste thing, everything else is perfect. Keep on rockin'.
Tommy Vercetti (GTA Vice City)
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Rex Power Colt (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)
Mankind (WWE)
Post-Apocalypse Thor (Marvel)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
SweeneyTodd

Sorry to kinda necro an old thread, but I thought I'd just update my progress since I updated to On Stranger Tides. Made a new wig, basically disassembled and reassembled a vest in order to resize it and modified my pants (I'll post pics of those later this weekend probably). So I am slowly starting to learn to make my own things or at least modify them :P

I *think* I may have gotten better at doing the makeup... maybe. At least I am more tan and I filled in my eyebrows. Still haven't totally figured out how to do contouring without making it look ridiculous (even after watching numerous vids... in person it just looks weird to me), but yea. Pic is below. Let me know what you guys think. Below my pic is a pic of Jack Sparrow's OST look just for reference.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Holy crap!!!!
That new update looks WAY too awesome. I hate those movies, but I'm so jealous as hell right now at your skill in this cosplay (as well as your others). You did extremely well
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Your Captain Jack (still) looks awesome! I remember catching a glimpse of you in a cosplay video, but I can't remember which one. Anyhow, my only critique is the facial hair. Yours looks/reads black, whereas his is dark brown. And the edges are too sharp. You may be able to stipple cream makeup along the edges to creat a more natural beard/mustache line. Or invest in hand wefted facial hair. Other than that, you look amazing and the wig looks stellar!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
littlemissnerdy

Awesome!

I think the thing with make up is when you don't wear it often, you always think it's "weird" or "strange." I rarely wear make up, so when I do for cosplay I always feel like I look bad or weird. LOL
DeviantArt (Brand New): LittleMissHawkeye

2013 Conventions:
C2E2
SDCC
Baltimore Comic Con
NYCC
littlemissnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
SweeneyTodd

JasonTerror - Thank you very very much!!! I kinda feel you on that. I do enjoy watching the other POTC movies but the first one was definitely the best one and clearly mostly thought out. The other ones are okay, but you can kinda tell that Disney just wanted to make as much money as possible. I still represent the character though and will continue to keep up with the franchise though because the character of Jack Sparrow is so much fun to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
Anyhow, my only critique is the facial hair. Yours looks/reads black, whereas his is dark brown. And the edges are too sharp. You may be able to stipple cream makeup along the edges to creat a more natural beard/mustache line. Or invest in hand wefted facial hair. Other than that, you look amazing and the wig looks stellar!
Thank you! Lately I've noticed that I have been appearing in a couple cosplay videos, all of which I look kinda ridiculous in (I think) lol. As for the facial hair, I decided that black looks better for me because I fill in my eyebrows and they are black, so I like my facial hair to match my eyebrows lol. I know technically it isn't screen accurate but I think it looked better than my brown facial hair. But I do see what you mean with the edges. I haven't yet taken the time to actually learn how to apply my beard properly and am pretty lazy with it, so the edges are terrible. I will work on that. The hand wefted facial hair isn't really available in the Jack Sparrow world, well at least I haven't found any custom film-quality pieces in my searches. And that option isn't the best for us Jacks because we do a lot of talking and facial movements, and those kinds of facial hair appliances tend to fall off when you move your mouth too much xD.

littlemissnerdy, thank you! Yea, I don't wear makeup in every day life, so doing makeup as Jack is super strange for me. But doing makeup for normal life is another thing I do want to learn how to do.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

No problem! And you have some legitimate reasons to do what you're doing. Do you apply the hair with spirit gum or something? I remember seeing a behind the scenes clip of Johnny's makeup process, and the artist was applying the hairs individually, or something. Probably not all of them, though! Well, it seems we'll be waiting two years (less for the trailers) to see Captain Jack's next look. Should I speculate your future project?
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
SweeneyTodd

Ve Neill added extra hairs just by drawing them in with a fine eyeliner. That was just to make his facial hair look thicker than it actually is. The only part of his facial hair that wasn't his were the beard braids which were actually applied with Liquid Gold Bonding Adhesive. To lay facial hair, it is usually done with very thin layers at a time and only the ends of the hair are really pushed into the adhesive. I haven't tried that yet because I used to use Spirit Gum, but that stuff is absolute crap (messes with your skin and doesn't hold well), so now I use ProsAide which is a stronger less irritating adhesive. So I will try laying the hair better. I need to just take time to do a makeup test.
Haha well Captain Jack will always be something I have to update. I will probably update before the 5th movie comes out if I find I like the design, but if not I'll stick with what I've got. My next costume though is hopefully going to be Johnny Depp's version of Barnabas Collins. I may work on that over winter break.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

Your attention to detail is truly spectacular, omg <3 I always love seeing your Captain Jack stuff!

In Progress Cosplays
Override Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Episode 24 Credits Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon)

Next con: Akai Con
Rei | Souda | Bertholdt
schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #15
SweeneyTodd

Thank you very very much!
Your attention to detail is awesome as well! And you have actual costume making skills, which I currently lack lol. Although I did start doing more stuff on my own for these updates, but still haven't actually made an entire costume yet.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account