Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Marketplace > Archived Marketplace Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
cowsrcute

How to get money back from paypal...

I commissioned an outfit for someone from DA which took about 2 weeks to make and send. After I sent it to them, they got their money back from paypal even though I had tracking. <.< Now I'm not sure what to do. I contacted paypal and this was right after they took the money back. I contacted them like 5 times and now it is over a month later and no reply.... =( Now I don't know what to do since it seems to late to do anything. D= I guess I just don't want this happening again. =( How did they get their money back? Would like to know so I can prevent this later. It's really stressing me out now. =( Thanks you.

Unread 05-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

They probably were able to cancel payment because you did not claim the money.
That is the only way I personally know how to cancel a payment.
I don't know, maybe someone else can help you more than I can..

Seriously, sorry to hear this happened to you.
He is obviously an a**hole, like seriously, who cancels the payment??
And now he is ignoring you?
I am totally against it. It is effecting someone else's life negatively. Even though it may have been good for him, what is the point?? That is living for yourself.
Gaara said it the best. Anyone that lives for themselves, might as well be dead.

I hope you can fix things up.
And I am kind of curious to hear HOW he was able to cancel the payment, so this doesn't happen to me and hopefully others in the future.
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15

Last edited by Suuki : 05-15-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Rangiku12
&lt;3 Old School &lt;3

Woah that's messed up! Did you contact the buyer? Did they open a claim on you?

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
Chao-Fangirl
Plushie Artist

Have you tried calling Paypal? That usually gets better (and faster) results than just trying to contact them through the website or email.

http://www.a-chan--creations.deviantart.com
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Contact paypal. They have a number you can call when you go into "contact us". You can't do anything till tomorrow though. Call them as soon as you can. Tell them exactly what happened. While on paypal and on the phone, you can go back and look at everything. It will have a trasaction for them sending you the money. Make sure you have that number. Tell them the transaction number. Make sure they know that you had tracking. You better know that tracking number, it's the most important thing. They will ask you to send them over email the tracking number. Once sent to them, they will see that it shows delivered or sent to "so and so city and state". If that city and state matches up with the person you sent it to's paypal approved address (which it should), they will now have proof that you sent out the item they got their money back for. They will email the buyer and give them till "so and so date" to get back. If they never get back, which I assume they won't, then you will get your money back because you proved you sent it. They may argue if they wanna really be the piece of shit they seem to be. If this happens, and they can not prove anything on their part (which I also assume they can not do), then they will tell you you won and you will get your money
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
cowsrcute

I did contact the buyer but he isn't responding either. What is claiming the money? Normally people just send it to me and it is in my paypal account. Do I have to click something? =o I wanna know to since I got tracking and before using paypal I looked up and it said people said normally paypal won't refund your money if you have tracking. =T If I gotta do more I would do it. D=

I will give calling in a try. Good to know that they are faster on phone. I never did call in since everyone says my voice is high pitch so I don't really like to talk. =T Also, thank you for all the details Jason. Helps to know what to prepare for. I still have the tracking number. =) Thanks everyone.

Last edited by cowsrcute : 05-15-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Hey, no problem. I've had a similar experience a while back. I know what it's like. and they helped right away. They even sounded concerned, which made me feel better about the whole thing. I really hope things go well in the future and you don't have this problem again
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
Chao-Fangirl
Plushie Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsrcute View Post
What is claiming the money?
Sometimes, when someone sends you a payment through Paypal, it will be marked as "pending", meaning that you will have a certain period of time to claim the money before it is returned to the person who sent it. I think it is a two week period, but I could be wrong.

You claim it by clicking on a button on the page for that particular transaction. I forget what the button is called exactly, but you're basically approving the payment and authorizing the money to come into your account.

I'm not sure how or why this happens, as the majority of the payments sent to me don't require me to approve them.

http://www.a-chan--creations.deviantart.com
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
ChaosFoxCostuming

I agree with everything stated above and I have a few times had payments where I had to claim them but I am not sure as to why but it has rarely happened to me. I also think that it may be helpful to say this person DA account as to warn other commissioners that this person will scam you if given the chance. Just note that you can not state things like his real name or address but I would like to know for future reference to avoid him if he ever asks about a commission from me.
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

They probably filed a claim and said it wasn't as described, or they didn't get it. PayPal really caters to buyers, unfortunately. Had about the same thing happen to me, they said they didn't get it, I provided tracking, said delivered, eBay still said haha nope.
If they didn't file a claim, yeah, you might not have claimed it (sometimes buyers from other countries, or just in general send money that way)

Solution: Keep bugging PayPal. Eventually they get tired of hearing from you.

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
NinjaNeko54

GIRL CLEAN OUT YOUR SENT MESSAGES AND INBOX SO I CAN PM YOU...I CANT CONTACT YOU!!!!!!!! ive been trying for a week....XDDD was so worried. I hope you see this message XDDDD I wanna see Mitsuki and Giselle XDDDD thank god you posted a topic in here lol
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
ChaosFoxCostuming

just as ninbri says I've had a few people try to pull that off on me as well but thats rare. A helpful thing to do unless your doing a rush order is to make it and wait for the 65 days to pass so they can't get away with filing a claim and if something is wrong with the costume they can always send it back for you to fix that way they wont even have the opportunity to do that. But this is only if their deadline is far away and you feel that they might be someone who does that. Just check their back posts etc see how they are. Maybe even a little polite small talk when calculating prices. I've never had to do that before but I have heard of others doing it and it seemed effective.
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
NinjaNeko54

cowsrcute PLEASE READ THIS THREAD AGAIN...I am beyond worried you won't see this and think im ignoring your PM messages...when I just cant contact you cause you messages are FULL @________@
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
Surebu

They may have filed a claim in paypal (you would have been notified by your paypal email) and possibly lied that they never received the costume.