Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 06-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
milo1312

what do you think

I am going to give a link to fb but the ones i want to be critique are the cosplay of the Brave thank you guys

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...45108& type=1
milo1312 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quick critique:
They're really hit-or miss. Some of them are good, some of them are not. Since Facebook strips your EXIF data, I can't really give help on the settings, though I can guess that you're using full or partial automatic settings.. and in some cases they're working against you in this set.

Seems like you used auto white balance as well, which worked against you here. Some of them have a green or blue cast that could have been easily prevented with a manual white balance setting, or white balance correction in post-processing. A consistent white balance (maybe a little bit warmer than neutral) would have helped pull the set together.

The first two, I would not have kept. The skin tones are underexposed, as the camera's meter wanted to compensate for the bright background. A blown-out background is acceptable; underexposed skin is not (at least, not in this context). Worse than that, the way she's looking down at the camera and pulling her chin back gives the impression of an unflattering double-chin.

The third (bow and arrow pointed at camera) is slightly better exposed, but I would have focused on the eyes instead of the arrow. It's still about half a stop underexposed on the skin, IMO. A bit of additional contrast and saturation in post-processing would help too; when shooting in a backlit situation you often have to pump up the contrast more than usual.

Fourth and fifth are pretty good, nicely showing off the face. The direct flash is a little bit hot, but it lights up the eyes nicely, and the eyes should be the focal point of almost all portraits.

6, 7, 8, 9 are good. I like the laughing shots, and the over-the-shoulder gaze is definitely a keeper. Again, white balance is inconsistent which detracts from them as a set.

10th, no real comment. I'm personally not a fan of the Dutch-tilt style, but some people like it. You're getting a bit of unflattering perspective distortion from standing close and using a wide-angle lens; I like to stand a bit farther away and use a longer focal length to achieve my desired framing. Just personal preference, I guess.

11 is a good try but there's something not quite right about it, can't put my finger on it. Maybe some side-eye contact with the camera would have helped? Maybe it's that half-smirk? I'm not sure.

12, I like a lot. I wish the arrow tip was in the frame, and the background was a bit cleaner; otherwise it's a good shot to show off the character and the prop.

Her wig is too far back in almost all of the shots. If you notice little things like this, it's your job to tactfully point them out and make sure they're correct before proceeding with the shoot. The visible hairline detracts from every shot.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
milo1312

Thank you for your input. I will take notes and improve
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Good! Keep shooting, that's the best way to improve.

Hope I didn't come across as too harsh, that was certainly not my intent.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
milo1312

nope i can handle critique. Sometimes they are harsh because its true its not a attack on me or my work its just i need to improve me i felt that i was hitting and missing but i was not sure how so. this helps me a lot. outside eyes helps a great deal
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
professorpug
Professor Pug

I would say that there are some good shots in there but there seems to be lack of effects and variety of setting. You can change the setting in the same place with different angles and really play with the light by things as simple as the direction of the shot.
professorpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Alna

looks nice!
Alna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Fanoffemdom14

Looks pretty epic.
Fanoffemdom14 is offline   Reply With Quote