Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 05-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
TheCosplayFox
What the hell?

Dealing with bad customers? Customer review thread?

I honestly wasn't very sure where to put this thread so I decided to put it here. Please move it if it is in the wrong place and I apologize. I was just wondering a few things about us commissioners who actually end up getting bad customers I mean they can review us so maybe it would be helpful if we had a thread or a forum dedicaticated to those who buy from us.

I've been doing for commissions for maybe about 2-3 years now I believe and a lot of times I get great customers but I have had a few bad customers and I don't really know how to deal with some of them due to what they were complaining about so advice on that would be helpful as well. I know some people make a contract so if anyone could show me a sample of their contract that would also be really helpful since I know that I need to make one in the near future.

Now I'm just going to share without mentioning any names a few of the problems I have had to deal with and maybe others could share as well?

I once had a customer who repeatedly complained to me about this little disk like button being to small and it wasn't anything fancy either but they demanded that it need to be 2.2cm largers or they would they would give me a bad review. I ended up having to sculpt a custom made version of a button basically and then they still complained that they didn't like it.

I also had another customer who would would email me almost on a daily basis which would clutter my inbox and it was very frustrating since I get all emails sent to my phone and the notification sound would go off at all hours of the day so I ended up having to mute it. I had even asked her to please stop emailing me on a daily basis because she would ask the same things every single day how was it going, anymore progress and do you have any picture's to send me. What part of the costume are you working on right now did you get around to working on it today etc. I had repeatedly asked her to stop and she would basically just stop for 2-3 days and then start up again and if I didn't reply she would send multiple messages it got to the point where her mails started just auto going in my spam folder since she messaged me so much it thought it was spam. I ended up just trying to finish it as fast I possibly could without sacrificing any quality because I didn't want to be bothered anymore.

I've also had one person basically flip out over a very small Work in progress photo and I even told them right now it is just in process of being made it was a wig and that it will look somewhat weird due to me sewing the wefts in and everything but that I just wanted to show that it was actually being worked on. she said it looked awful lots of other swear words and reported me to paypal and demanded a refund over an unfinished project. I later on heard from another commissioner friend that I had talked to about this person that they had dealt with them to and something somewhat similar happened. It was really an awful situation.

I also have one person who always asks me for price quotes and then once I give them a price for a certain costume wig or prop they ask me for a new price quote on something else and they basically just keep doing it because their deciding which costume they want done. I don't mind but it is the amount of times that it happens and also saying stuff like I will pay for this costume on whatever day and then never sending a down payment waiting a few days and then saying they do not need it anymore and asking for more quotes. I asked them to please stop unless they were serious about buying a costume and they got very angry and spammed my email a few times and left me alone.

So my basic point is that I think just like how we have a buyers beware of this person we could also have a thread for commissioners so that we could look up and see what we are dealing with before hand. I think it would be very helpful since I would have avoided some of these people or at least have been prepared for the situation.

Now share your thoughts and stories please and give any advice you can think of?

TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Well, I unfortunately have a couple bad reviews and while I understand why I got them, it does hurt me that people aren't very understanding or forgiving. But even before those reviews, I have always kept in contact and replied in a rather timely manner. I've admitted my faults and I've apologized profusely and am doing everything i possibly can, with my current schedule to make things right and even that wasn't good enough. It didn't matter what I said or tried to do. They were just never happy. I don't think of them as bad people or anything because of it either.

I've had people ask for quotes and never reply just to even say "no thanks". I've had people who are commissioning from me and who have completely disappeared (so I hope they're all right and safe). I've definitely had a few people constantly email me asking for updates (which is well within their right to do so) but at the same time, obviously if I had a proper updated, it would be posted or emailed. I've tried asking them to stop, but that didn't work and apparently it was a horrible thing to do because they couldn't fathom that it indeed, buried and made a cluster of all the information that I ever wanted to look up or needed and that the search option really isn't that helpful when you have 500-1k emails bouncing back and forth.

So, you get some impatient people and some bad apples on both sides, but I am very understanding and compassionate person so I forgive and move on and do the best that I can do. Sorry, if that wasn't very helpful and good luck!
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

I actually think this has tried to be implemented more than once on the site -- rather unsuccessfully. I'll have to look around, but I feel like it has been mentioned before.

EDIT: Found the thread: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=247752

It covers sellers and commissioners, but seemed to turn into more of a discussion thread. There was another thread created earlier than this, but was deleted. I think it had more ratings.

If it is beneficial to commissioners, I'm in support of the thread. I will say, I have dealt with so many commissioners that have failed to deliver my products at all...but I haven't ever given them a bad review, as it seems I'm the only case that it has happened to. I'd hate to ruin someone's reputation due to whatever excuse they give me -- I can only trust they are telling the truth. I think that it might be harder to rate a customer than a commissioner though. I'll be honest, I feel I am a pretty nice person, but I am very paranoid and need lots of assurance and the like when I commission someone. I'm sure I come across as very needy. I do try not to come across as rude or the like, but some customers are just more personable than others. Some it is strictly business, others enjoy a chat or using smilies, "lol", and the like, so it might be hard to read a customer. Though this applies for a commissioner as well.

I do feel there are extenuating circumstances -- should a customer be down right rude and disrespectful, etc. Many people ask for quotes, but are shopping around for the right price. Commissioners have the ability to ignore potential clients, just as potential clients have the ability to not respond back when uninterested. I'm not sure things like that should qualify as being talked about on a forum in poor taste. It might be the more polite thing to do, but on both sides, people get busy.

Also, if this is to be implemented, what is the rating system and how would it work? With a commission, it works with deadline, price, photos, quality, pros and cons, and then A-F scale. How would this work, as it seems like this leans more towards personality or annoyances? This of course, is just how it comes across to me since I do not see any suggestions on things to rate a customer on.

Last edited by angelbabycakes : 05-12-2013 at 01:27 AM.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

HA that's MY thread lol I was gonna bring that up but you beat me to it!! I couldn't link it on my phone so I had to wait..Guess I was too late lol

But Yea that thread basically sums up what I would say here..
In fact, I just had a customer last week break a sword I made. Now I never spoke directly to them, they don't have an account, but they had a friend that does and that person replayed messages back and forth. Out of nowhere a few days after sending it, I get a message saying I MESSED UP >.< And I'm like, "No, not possible, I have done other props the same way with amazing results."..Come to find out, the person tried doubleback taping the sword to their belt and it broke..Yea, cuz THAT'S my fault..I got basically almost lashed at for his mistake..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
HA that's MY thread lol I was gonna bring that up but you beat me to it!! I couldn't link it on my phone so I had to wait..Guess I was too late lol

In fact, I just had a customer last week break a sword I made. Now I never spoke directly to them, they don't have an account, but they had a friend that does and that person replayed messages back and forth. Out of nowhere a few days after sending it, I get a message saying I MESSED UP >.< And I'm like, "No, not possible, I have done other props the same way with amazing results."..Come to find out, the person tried doubleback taping the sword to their belt and it broke..Yea, cuz THAT'S my fault..I got basically almost lashed at for his mistake..
Lol, sorry about that! I just remebered it was somewhere so decided to find it. I thought it was a good idea, since the marketplace feedback system was very underutilized, but I was always curious at what exactly a commissioner might be rating a customer on. I've not had a bad experience selling anything, so I cannot complain about any customers. I will say, that once a product is in the customer's hands, it is up to the customer to handle with care -- of course, the product has to be in good condition and the like before arriving and when it does arrivie. That is a bit uncalled for to blame the commissioner in that case -- props or anything is not full proof! They are still fragile. Seems the customer should have said they accidentally broke it and ask the best way to fix it. I would have anyways. :P
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
I actually think this has tried to be implemented more than once on the site -- rather unsuccessfully. I'll have to look around, but I feel like it has been mentioned before.
There was also a blacklist thread for buyers and commissioners - generally those who'd scam money and disappear but it used the person's real names and there wasn't enough "proof" so it eventually got locked and deleted.
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
TheCosplayFox
What the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post

I had something somewhat similar happen to me once. I honestly don't remember the names of most of these people due to how many commissions I get but I if I saw the username I would remember them and avoid lol.

But yeah anyways I made a nice prop someone and I told them that with their budget and my current skills two years back that it would be nice but not to go flinging it around or something like that and it was a pretty nifty looking prop especially for the price since at that time I had no clue how to charge at all. Anyways I guess they broke it and they tried to say that I made them a faulty item but I ended up finding out that they play fighting with it at the con lol....
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCosplayFox View Post
I had something somewhat similar happen to me once. I honestly don't remember the names of most of these people due to how many commissions I get but I if I saw the username I would remember them and avoid lol.

But yeah anyways I made a nice prop someone and I told them that with their budget and my current skills two years back that it would be nice but not to go flinging it around or something like that and it was a pretty nifty looking prop especially for the price since at that time I had no clue how to charge at all. Anyways I guess they broke it and they tried to say that I made them a faulty item but I ended up finding out that they play fighting with it at the con lol....
Oh ow..I just don't understand people these days..Why would someone in their right mind go play fighting with a PROP!! It's a prop for a reason..To be a PROP..Not a freaking toy you just throw around/swing around/hit things with..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Tsukune
Anti-Form Sora

[only read the first post]

I agree we should have a review thread an bad customers as I'm currently dealing with one now and it'd be nice if we had a thread where we could read up on this sorta thing so we can avoid such customers. Whether they be actually bad customers, overly picky ones, or ones who have a higher threshold of satisfaction than most and would require a higher level/more experienced commissioner to take on.

Anyways the customer I'm currently dealing with is Garry Tatrow [I believe this to be his real name] and since I didn't see this thread and made a new one I had already posted my thoughts and warnings on him elsewhere. But as it may be delete I'll repost them here:

A little out of the ordinary to say this but if you ever come across a customer named Garry Tatrow [which I believe to be his real name] be warned as he tends to make a commissioners job difficult with being over the top when it comes to perfection so if you are a new or inexperienced commissioner like myself DO NOT ACCEPT A COMMISSION FROM HIM! At this rate only a Master level cosplayer should accept a commission from him [note: I am only Journeymanlevel] as he's done nothing but pick apart everything I've worked hard to make for him and yet still demand me to remake it for free with express shipping and in an unreasonable short time. Even threatening to take legal action [which as most commissioners know does neither of you little good].

Well that is all I have to say so be warned do not accept a commission from him unless you are 110% confident in your work because 100% just isn't enough for him. And I am not lying I really did try my best to satisfy him despite my current situation having just lost my job.

Good Luck as I know he's in the neighborhood for more commissions [and it doesn't need to be a difficult commission I made him a Natsu cosplay which is quite simple to make and yet this happened].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukune:
I felt like the Otaku world needed a word to describe the none-otaku/cosplayer/gamer/nerd and none awesome people of the world just like in Harry Potter with how they use the word Muggle to describe none magic folk, so I came up with the word Nord. So a Nord is a none nerd.

Nord = Individual
Nords = More than one
Nordians = Society/Species

Last edited by Tsukune : 06-04-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Tsukune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Tsukune
Anti-Form Sora

[only read the first post]

I agree we should have a review thread an bad customers as I'm currently dealing with one now and it'd be nice if we had a thread where we could read up on this sorta thing so we can avoid such customers. Whether they be actually bad customers, overly picky ones, or ones who have a higher threshold of satisfaction than most and would require a higher level/more experienced commissioner to take on.

Anyways the customer I'm currently dealing with is GTatrow and since I didn't see this thread and made a new one I had already posted my thoughts and warnings on him elsewhere. But as it may be delete I'll repost them here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukune View Post
A little out of the ordinary to say this but if you ever come across a customer named Garry Tatrow [which I believe to be his real name] be warned as he tends to make a commissioners job difficult with being over the top when it comes to perfection so if you are a new or inexperienced commissioner like myself DO NOT ACCEPT A COMMISSION FROM HIM! At this rate only a Master level cosplayer should accept a commission from him [note: I am only Journeymanlevel] as he's done nothing but pick apart everything I've worked hard to make for him and yet still demand me to remake it for free with express shipping and in an unreasonable short time. Even threatening to take legal action [which as most commissioners know does neither of you little good].

Well that is all I have to say so be warned do not accept a commission from him unless you are 110% confident in your work because 100% just isn't enough for him. And I am not lying I really did try my best to satisfy him despite my current situation having just lost my job.

Good Luck as I know he's in the neighborhood for more commissions [and it doesn't need to be a difficult commission I made him a Natsu cosplay which is quite simple to make and yet this happened].

Quote:
I felt like the Otaku world needed a word to describe the none-otaku/cosplayer/gamer/nerd and none awesome people of the world just like in Harry Potter with how they use the word Muggle to describe none magic folk, so I came up with the word Nord. So a Nord is a none nerd.

Nord = Individual
Nords = More than one

Last edited by Tsukune : 06-04-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Real names are not allowed to be posted on the forums, so if you can provide any internet aliases, that would be best.
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Tsukune
Anti-Form Sora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykaios View Post
Real names are not allowed to be posted on the forums, so if you can provide any internet aliases, that would be best.
Sorry I was unaware of this rule and sadly he never gave me an alias [kind of strange as normally its the opposite] but I can provide an e-mail if that helps?

Quote:

Nord = Individual
Nords = More than one
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukune View Post
Sorry I was unaware of this rule and sadly he never gave me an alias [kind of strange as normally its the opposite] but I can provide an e-mail if that helps?

Yeah, I think that'd be fine or the past before the @whatever.
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
Tsukune
Anti-Form Sora

Alright I've changed it to gtatrow

Quote:

Nord = Individual
Nords = More than one
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
gman1

My Side

Okay Tsukune let me tell my side keep in mind that I sent the full payment February 5th for the commission. When I sent you my info. that I wanted my Cosplay May 1st, need for Colossalcon 2013 you lost my email so I had to tell you again about the due date. Yes I did miss state the date in a resend email May 31st. I had to email and email you to get strait answers and even then I did not get all what I asked. For example, the Natsu cosplay I asked for a commission on Natsu's Time Skip copsplay (rob, belt, and pants) and how much extra for his bottom rob and vest you replied 110 dollar which I thought was low, but I thought okay whatever. When sending me an email that you where almost finished I asked about the vest and bottom rob you did not know what I was talking about. I re-emailed the emails asking about the vest and bottom rob, still would not go good. You did not mention that I was working great with you even gave you more time up until this point. I told you then fine just get me my Time Skip Natsu cosplay before I leave for Colossalcon. I did not get a progress picture until May 28th. My cosplay was delivered June 3rd late (deadline May 31st) you did pay for express shipping but you made it sound like I should be grateful that you were doing it. But still I had to pay a portion of the shipping. You did offer a free hat but all I wanted was my cosplay.

Picking apart your work? The trim was yellow suppose to be orange. You keep saying it was yellow, it's orange. You told me that yellow trim is what other cosplayers had that you saw online. Why are you looking online I sent you picture. I don't care what others had I wanted what the character wears. If you could not find orange you should have talked to me before producing it. You emailed me on the color of the rob why not with the trim. The back shoulder of the sleeve was bunch up. When I went to bend my elbow and hold it my arm started going numb. Also the length of sleeve was short. The belt in front was loose which would have been no problem but you sewed the belt to the rob if I tightened it would have looked weirder. The belt buckle was not painted all the way, let that one go. I did take it to a person that does commissions. You want to know what she found when she un-sewed the sleeve from the shoulder a hole Tsukune you tried covering it up! She fix other things as well. Yes I did find someone else to doing commission for me that right and she is awesome!!!! I was going to email you a picture of the hole, thought no it over and done just leave it alone. Also, at the convention the zipper thread where it was attach to the rob was coming undone did not email about that. You only told me that you where journeyman level when things were not going good for you. I am sorry you lost your job but you would think you would be hard at work getting commissions done to get money. All I wanted was what I paid for. If your personal life got in the way you should have refunded me my money.

I checked your website looked to be great work. I even asked you about your work I can't remember exact word you said but was something like. I am talented and passionate when it come to making cosplay. You forgot to mention that you afford to make one more cosplay for me at a discount who does that unless the know that they did something wrong.

I did not want to write this but I will defend my name when people falsely smear it. I have the emails and the pictures to back up my clams. I will never do business with Tsukune again. Her web business name is Twilight Knight Cosplay Creations.

Last edited by gman1 : 09-30-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: I remove her real name.
gman1 is offline   Reply With Quote