Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 06-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Trinkette

Need advice and help on two different cosplays! ;u;

The first one I need help with is Kat from the DmC game.
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...dy-d51sa4l.jpg

I've never had any construction or altering experience with clothing. So my question is for her sweater. If I get a normal blue gray sweater do I spray paint it or do I use some kind of fabric paint and how do I get that fading effect?

She also has the straps around her waist

http://images.wikia.com/devilmaycry/..._CA_01_DmC.jpg

How would I make those things attached to it and do I make the things that carry the spray cans?

My second cosplay is Elizabeth from Bioshock.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...rp-d647bgt.jpg

I have the skirt but its just flat. So how do I get it to do whatever it's doing on the right side of the picture?
Trinkette is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I'd use fabric dye and either gradient dye it or use a spray bottle so it'll look messy. For the belt, just get a normal belt and make pouches with two straps on the back that can slide onto the belt. What does your skirt look like? It needs some gathers so that it can accommodate a petticoat. Her skirt doesn't look too poofy so you don't need a huge one.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Trinkette

Thank you so much! (=

Here's the skirt
http://i40.tinypic.com/5z2sgj.png

It fits right above my tummy if that means anything. Since any lower it'd be touching the ground. =x
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Yeah I think a petticoat can fit under there. Just get one that isn't super poofy and make sure that it's only a little bit shorter than the skirt. Ones that go to the knee are popular because of lolita but it won't work for this skirt.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Trinkette

I actually have the petticoat =)

What I'm trying to figure out is that you see how in the picture it kind of goes up on the right side and scrunches up? How would I go about doing that to my skirt? Would I have to cut it or is there another option?
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Kittercat

No no no no! Please don't cut it, it will ruin it. I have seen so many people think that gathers are created that way! Not at all, what you need to do, is pull the fabric up towards where it meets the waist and then pull it together at the side. Basically pinch the fabric below the waistband, pull up and then let it fold over itself creating a seam, when it does this pin it, you can sew it or leave it pinned depending on if you'd like to reuse the skirt for another costume or just to wear around without the gather.

The only time you'd need to cut a skirt is for a refitting (Making it tighter/adjusting the waist) to make it a high-low (Front is short, back is long) or to do general alterations to fit your form. For anything like gathering, or adding visual details cutting is almost never necessary.

Thankfully the alterations you have to make for Elizabeth are super simple (Thank the stars!) and there are multitudes of super detailed tutorials on how to make different gathers on skirts, but it's fairly simple and doesn't even require sewing. You can also glue it together.

Of you want to create the "fishbone" gather that Elizabeth in your photo has, just repeat the step by pulling it up little by little and pinning it each time, you have to be super careful with this because the length of the skirt will get away from you quickly. Hope this helps!
Kittercat is offline   Reply With Quote