Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 06-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
CloudedKnife

Beards!?

Okay so, I've been struggling with this. My fiancee is a long time cosplayer and I'm relatively new to it all. Traditionally/Generally, I have a well groomed beard of varying length (I prefer it longer, like in this picture: http://imgur.com/a/Aczxt#2) but between my fiancee relating her experiences, and the very superficially judgmental cosplay friends she used to have, my beard is just not acceptable for cosplay unless the character happens to have a red beard.

I've seen it posted on here many times that it is the costume and its presentation that gets judged, not the wearer. Skin tone, height, weight, body type, glasses, these don't matter supposedly. However, we've all seen people make comments about exactly those things. "He's not thin enough for that." "Her breasts are too large for that costume." "That character isn't black!" etc. Obv, I'm not submitting crowds to my beer gut when I cosplay a shirtless dude; instead I wear a shapewear tanktop to cut down on some of my girth. But can I wear a my beard?

By this, I mean can I wear it and not be judged poorly in a masq. Can I just be "that bearded guy who does really good cosplay"? Or, instead is it going to be "oh, it's that bearded guy, why doesn't he shave it off!?"
CloudedKnife is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
CJohn

I don't know about what costumes you're planning, but with that beard you could pull off a great Macbeth from Gargoyles.
CJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
CloudedKnife

Right now I'm working on ffx Auron. I'll be following that up with InuYasha's Sesshomaru (obv. beardless which prompts the question, "will I be judged poorly at the masq if everything is spot on from head to toe, but I have a beard?")

There really aren't many cospays I'm interested in that have facial hair beyond mere stubble (might do gildarts from fairy tail for instance). Rather, most of my interested cosplays are clean shaven (guts from berserk).

Just looking for some community opinion on whether beards fall under the same category as weight, eye sight, height, skin tone, and general build when it comes to "you're judged for your costume, not who you are genetically."
CloudedKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Ilafatyu
That guy

I'd put beards in the same category as hair. You can't easily/significantly change your weight or weight or skin color, but you can change your hair pretty easily. Head and facial hair. Some people cut and dye their hair, some use wigs. If you really want to keep your beard, I'd say temporarily dye it to match the character's hair color.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this thread.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 75%
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Without being able to document a reason why you did not change a feature like that (and while "because I didn't want to" is sometimes a legit reason, it isn't always a legit reason) a judge will probably side-eye it a bit. I don't know that it would affect an overall score, particularly if the rest of the costume is up to or beyond their construction standards. But if there's a lot of really stiff competition and the judges have to get all the way down to split hairs in order to decide who takes an award and who doesn't, that kind of attitude toward the costume's appearance and accuracy could cost you.

In the halls, nobody cares. Do what you want. Have at you. But when you're talking about competition, the little things do matter. The more anal a masquerade is about accuracy - and let's face it some of them are REALLY anal about accuracy as a judging standard - the less likely you can get away with something so trivial.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
belligerent
Viking Metal

I'm usually pro-beard but I would say you should probably shave it if the character doesn't have it and you want to compete seriously. If you're just doing hall cosplays, it doesn't really matter, but if I were you, I wouldn't compete with it.

I have a friend who competes regularly and he shaves his beard to compete if the character doesn't require it. Would he win without doing that? He's pretty good, so maybe, but it's one of those things where you only have one shot at a win, so why not give yourself every advantage you can? Or at least not let yourself go in with what could be a disadvantage...
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago

Last edited by belligerent : 06-09-2013 at 09:58 PM.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
coraxsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudedKnife View Post
Okay so, I've been struggling with this. My fiancee is a long time cosplayer and I'm relatively new to it all. Traditionally/Generally, I have a well groomed beard of varying length (I prefer it longer, like in this picture: http://imgur.com/a/Aczxt#2) but between my fiancee relating her experiences, and the very superficially judgmental cosplay friends she used to have, my beard is just not acceptable for cosplay unless the character happens to have a red beard.

I've seen it posted on here many times that it is the costume and its presentation that gets judged, not the wearer. Skin tone, height, weight, body type, glasses, these don't matter supposedly. However, we've all seen people make comments about exactly those things. "He's not thin enough for that." "Her breasts are too large for that costume." "That character isn't black!" etc. Obv, I'm not submitting crowds to my beer gut when I cosplay a shirtless dude; instead I wear a shapewear tanktop to cut down on some of my girth. But can I wear a my beard?

By this, I mean can I wear it and not be judged poorly in a masq. Can I just be "that bearded guy who does really good cosplay"? Or, instead is it going to be "oh, it's that bearded guy, why doesn't he shave it off!?"
Look, there are a lot of judgemental people. So yes, wear it if you want but you WILL be judged. If your in a comeption or skit I say shave it. If your subconcious of what other others will say then my advice is also to shave it. I know I dont ever SAY anything because that would be incredibly rude, but even I look and think 'Thats rediculous looking. THat character doesn't have a beard. It completly ruins that outfit.' In the end, only you can decide what you want to do.
coraxsa is offline   Reply With Quote