Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Sakura Con

Unread 06-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

something wrong

Well goodbuy scmb I guess..anyone else have the scmb bookmarked? Try to go to it. It no longer exists. I'm pretty sure this con well be gone soon. That's what happens when staff doesn't care what attendees have to say. I got banned for asking a question. Now you can no longer talk about panels, or even schedule photo shoots. So if sakuracon no longer wants to be a con, then maybe they should just do it. Go ahead and disappoint 10s of thousands of people.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Akaito (Vocaloid [Maybe])
-Link (Zelda OOT [Maybe])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
CS3
wannabe world traveler

Why would the con be over with? They have the dates up. Some other cons no longer use a forum system but removing it was a mistake.
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
UviB
Common sense, you has it?

They just announced on their FB page that they shut down the forum for Sakuracon. They said it was because it doesn't get used as much as it use too. And I bet they don't want to pay for it anymore.
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Yea after I posted this, they ended up putting it up on the main page. Well I'm not saying is over to right now, but it will at the rate they are going. The staff had also been extremely rude to me and that's not how you act if you want people to attend.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
CS3
wannabe world traveler

If they did they will certainly get a lot of people who would be flying to Seattle upset. Airlines don't give refunds.
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well those types of things are probably why they are still having it. But think about it, they want you to go elsewhere to talk about shoots. If anyone noticed, here is a bad place..Almost no one even goes to this subforum untill about 3-4 months before con..Where there has been quite a bit of shoots discussed on the scmb within the last 2 months then there will be on here EVER..They also want us to do all the shoot discussions on facebook..I don't think people understand how hard that will be..What happens if there becomes 100 shoot requests. The very first will end up being seen by who? Not that many people right? So what's gonna happen? Someone else will start it..And that will keep happening. Then, What happens if no one else can make it to that time slot? You can't DISCUSS a timeslot without a thread for everyone to easily spot right? So without photoshoots schedules there goes all the people that come JSUT for that. Then you have pannels..Same problem..You can't discuss them because after a little while, they will back way too far tfor someone to easily find. Now the attendees that go for just panels are gone because if you don't know what pannels there are, you aren't gonna prereg if that's all you go for..And let's face it, a lot of the people I know aren't impressed by the quests..I can't speak for everyone, but I know people who no longer want to attend for that reason alone. Now if you already don't go for guests, the other 2 reasons are reason enough to not even prereg. See where I'm going with this? I think, if ANYTHING, they should at least have the forums open with at least the photoshoot threads and the panel discussion threads. And if the forums price is ACTUALLY the problem, they should direct people straight to here. Where there ARE threads to discuss. But they won't..I already mentioned it and they didn't do it..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
Rhapsodey
WhatisthisIdon'teven...

They shut down the forums in order to stick with FB and Twitter since they felt the forums weren't being used enough. I for one am quite upset at the lack of notice and the lack of response from the con itself. They cut out a huge way to get questions answered (because come on, not all staff are bad. Few bad apples...), guest requests, cosplay competition questions, meet ups and cosplay questions (But those aren't official, so why should the con care?!), not to mention staff-only info which will not have to emailed to every staff instead of posted once for everyone to find. Which is going to hold yet ANOTHER issue. No info is going to be in one solid place for everyone to find. You'll have to dig for it on their FB or Twitter groups, which by the way I didn't even know about until tonight. Forums aren't useful, huh?

Frankly, it's a bad move from a good con. I won't give up on SC no matter how pissed I may get, and trust me I was shaking when I found out they shut down the forums and don't get me started on the staff at con this year and on the forums the last couple. But they've taken a big part of what I enjoy about this con: The community. It's going to near impossible to plan anything that's fan run and official and thus take a big part out of con if something doesn't change or they get their act together. They've taken the "fan" out of "for the fans, by the fans" and it's sad. I highly doubt they will change their minds sadly (Mira is seeming quite stubborn about the forums and of course 100% supports them being shut down...), but it's good to at least voice your concerns and let the con know that you're upset about it. They've posted an email on the main page. Be calm, be nice, and they'll be nice back. It'll be PR bs, but it's better than nothing, right?
ECC 2015
Sakura Con 2015

WIP Costumes -
Gijinka Fennekin - 95%
Rhyme - TWEWY - 75%
Mami Tomoe - Madoka Magica - 5%
Everfree Surprise! - 1%

My dA
My Facebook page
Rhapsodey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
Lady Shinsei
~ Duelist of Heart ~

Exclamation

I feel your pain so much JT. There is much weird stuff going on tonight over this. I had several comments (none of them rude) deleted on the FB page! Seriously, for folks who said they'd love to hear our comments, they are sure doing a bad job of it with doing ridiculous censoring.

I've lost 9 years of memories that I'd been keeping in my inbox. I lost messages from my first boyfriend (who'd at the time been a staffer), and I lost messages from a friend of mine who is sadly deceased. I've lost feedback I've gotten on panels my cosplay group has done, and lost ideas that were sent to me about improving photoshoots that I run (Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Yu Yu Hakusho). Not being given any warning of any form is sickening, no matter what the stupid board of directors decided on.

I propose that we make this forum ALIVE again! Make this subforum be a worthwhile place to discuss the things we used to on SCMB and do the fun socializing stuff we did there... spread the word as much as we can, on Facebook, Tumblr, and abroad!

Check out my DeviantArt page if you wish = Kara-Kazeneko

Cosplay WIP = Rex Raptor (Yu-Gi-Oh!), Rinku (Yu Yu Hakusho), God Tier Jane (Homestuck), my own gijinka version of Majesty (oldschool MLP), Clay (Pokemon B&W), and renovating existing stuff.
Lady Shinsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
meb9000

Yeah, it would be awesome to relocate as much as we can to this message board, since it gets a lot of nice traffic, and we can grow it over time if we try hard. It is bizarre to see the Sakura Con staff do a move like this that can only generate negative publicity. I LOVE Sakura con and hate to see something like this driving a stake into the heart of its community..
meb9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Get this, Who else knows anywhere but HERE where we can talk about photoshoots with other atendees as well as panels? Nowhere right? They REFUSE to put a link to this subforum. I gave them the idea so that the people on there that haven't heard of this site (which is actually A LOT), can be directed of the next best place to talk about those things. They will not do it. They told be to be patiant and refused to answer any questions or help in any way
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 06-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
CS3
wannabe world traveler

Before I went to Sakura this year I used their forums. It was a big help for me especially since it was my first time attending. There is a similar issue with A-Kon, they got rid of their forums. It too this year was my first time attending and without an official forum, I couldn't get to learn about the con, meet ups, make some friends before con, panel discussions, ect. I went to A-Kon knowing very little and not knowing anyone. I still had fun but it wasn't to the same level as Sakura. We just have to try to redirect new people to come here so what happened with me doesn't happen to others.
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Since I don't use facebook, I can;t do this, but I have an idea.
Anyone on here have Sakuracon's facebook as a friend? Or whatever that is..Anyway, Maybe post on there a link to this subforum and see if anyone sees it and starts coming here?

Also, be warned they may make sure your link goes away if you post it..The way they have been acting, seems like they don't give 2 shits about any attendees. They obviously don't care what we think, or if they dissapoint anyone, and they certainly don't seem to care if people even attend anymore
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
meb9000

I'll try posting a tip for people to come here, it's not like I'm advertising for another con, however cosplay.com is a business as well, and the Sakura Con folks may not like posting a link a for-profit website.

Booker Dewitt (Bioshock Infinite)

Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney series)

Weiss Schnee (RWBY)

Gray Fullbuster (Fairy Tail)
meb9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well they told me we can talk about panels and shoots here. The problem is a lot of the users on the scmb didn't have accounts here or didn't know about this site. This way they can come make accounts here. And I'm sure sakuracon could care less. This site doesn't make money off us. Almost no one will buy their wigs, and that would be the only money the site could make
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
LiebeSelbstmord
Charming Devil Cosplay

I'm glad someone started talking about the depressing loss of the SCMB. It really upset me when I went to the site one day to check post updates and it wasn't there anymore. How else are we supposed to organize photoshoots and get-togethers?! I hate that the only way they're suggesting is through Facebook. Facebook is so unorganized it isn't even funny. I'd be fine with Cosplay.com if more people used it/knew about it. It just breaks my heart because the forum was really my only way to stay connected to the Sakura Con community. Comparing my first year at SC (having not used the SCMB yet) and my second year at SC (when I first discovered the SCMB) my second year was SOOOOO much more enjoyable because I went already feeling connected to people I hadn't even officially met yet!! I agree with Jason on the point of posting a link to this subforum on the Facebook page and anywhere else we can think of and see what happens! ^_^

Aki Con 2014:
Mikasa Ackerman - Attack on Titan (90%)
Holo - Spice & Wolf (90%)
Sai - Naruto Shippuden (50%)
Sasuke Uchiha - Naruto Shippuden (100%)

Sakura Con 2015:
Sai - Naruto Shippuden (50%)
Rosette - Chrono Crusade (0%)
Kouga - Inuyasha (30%)
LiebeSelbstmord is offline   Reply With Quote