Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 06-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
MDA
Destiny Productions

Demon Release Coreciellen Photoshoot

Back in February a friend of mine debuted a new cosplay at one of our favourite cons and he showed me how he does a bloodied arm and ripped off nails (makeup artist).

We wanted to take pictures, and only clear place we found was a cramped stairwell.

The character is a demon strong enough to plunge their hand through your chest to rip out your heart. And they're a bit psychotic. And if you're wondering why he has some girly poses... and a wig with pigtails... it's because the character can shapeshift, and is normally female in their true form.

I did some editing to the photos to eliminate the yellow.

Please let me know what you think.

http://midnight-dare-angel.deviantar...llery/42285168

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Brea
Business Student

1) Some of the vignetting is too obvious. You want to vignette to create an effect but not to show that photo has an obvious vignette.
2) Is his skin supposed to be red? I tried googling the cosplay itself but didn't find anything.
3) I haven't done a photoshoot before but I think it's important that the white balance be cnosistent. In some of the shots you have the background lighting is orange and different from the rest.
4) Don't know too much about the cosplay but the shot I liked the most in terms of colors was this one: http://midnight-dare-angel.deviantar...fter-356841847 Here I can see the actual of his skin and shows that his cosplay is more "real" and not a severe edit.

Overall I think the photos have too much red/yellow cast on the cosplay itself: was this done on purpose?

Last edited by Brea : 06-12-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
MDA
Destiny Productions

All of the edits in the photos were intentional.
And he's the only person to have cosplayed this character, it's from an online comic that you now have to pay $60 a month to read - which he and I no longer do.

I wasn't looking for critique on the editing. Was looking more on composition, if they're interesting... now I know why I never post for critiques.

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

What an odd response to a critique.

Okay, on the set itself, not regarding the editing.

Technically, they're lacking. Most of them are underexposed (though I suppose this could be an artistic choice); more importantly, many of them are blurry, either due to missed focus, a shutter speed that's much too slow, or a combination of both. Looking at your EXIF data, it seems that your shutter speeds are ranging from 1/5 to 1/2 (!) which just won't do for portraiture. I generally advise a shutter speed of no slower than 1/60 for portraits. Even when using a tripod to eliminate camera shake, slower than 1/60 will not freeze the subject for a sharp photo.

If ambient light is inadequate for the minimum camera settings you need for portraiture, bring your own lighting, find a different location, or shoot at a different time of day.

As a set, it's extremely repetitive. Eight shots of the hand reaching at the camera? As a viewer, that gets boring fast. When you have near-duplicates, cull all but the best. A set of six unique shots is much better than a set of 30 repetitive shots.

In terms of content and composition, there's not enough variety for a set that large. Again, the repetition is working against you. As a viewer, it's hard to stay interested when so many of the images are nearly identical.

I like the basic composition in "creeper corner", though I think you could have made better use of that corner space. For instance, shooting from a lower camera position and with a wider focal length would have helped to minimize the subject and emphasize the lonely feeling.

I also like where you're going with "let me hear your screams," and you're starting to approach the bare minimum shutter speed to execute a technically sound image.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon

Last edited by nathancarter : 06-12-2013 at 07:55 PM.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Lidaea
Frightened Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
I wasn't looking for critique on the editing. Was looking more on composition, if they're interesting... now I know why I never post for critiques.
To be fair, you didn't specify. You mentioned your editing and did not clarify that you were focused more on comp than on the editing. Also, a critique is a critique regardless of the subject matter and should be taken into consideration.
This one has really good composition, though the red is blinding to me.
I can't say that these shots really "wow" me, mostly because of the simplistic and repetitive poses and shots. You have a lot of shots that show him with his hand up, and shots that just bizarre me, if that's what you were going for. Also, some of these are too dark. But again, i'm getting into editing I suppose. I'd try playing more with background, angles, and poses. There's not enough variation. Hope this helps.

Facebook
Lidaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
Brea
Business Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
All of the edits in the photos were intentional.
And he's the only person to have cosplayed this character, it's from an online comic that you now have to pay $60 a month to read - which he and I no longer do.

For a critique, I never focus on the technical details. You learn to figure out settings are you shoot the camera and it becomes stationary. Even though you can get a "in focus" photo, the pose/expression/etc. determine the photo. I've seen photos where the focus was slightly missed but the editing and composition was fantastic. The reason why I focused on the editing is because while you have a nice photo, you can totally ruin it when you edit them. Some people mess with the colors too much, don't edit the white balance, stuff like that. I'm sorry if I was in anyway offensive, I had no intention at all. I was just trying to give you advice in post-processing. I care about post-processing alot.

Even if you mess up the lighting, it's possible to create artificial lighting in Lightroom, but it's always better to do it with the shot or you risk damaging the photo otherwise. I don't know why my critique made you say "this is why I don't post on here", can you please explain? I never meant to.

Last edited by Brea : 06-12-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
What an odd response to a critique.

As a set, it's extremely repetitive. Eight shots of the hand reaching at the camera? As a viewer, that gets boring fast. When you have near-duplicates, cull all but the best. A set of six unique shots is much better than a set of 30 repetitive shots.

In terms of content and composition, there's not enough variety for a set that large. Again, the repetition is working against you. As a viewer, it's hard to stay interested when so many of the images are nearly identical.
This is the thing I think you need to focus on most. The more of the same type of pose or picture you post, the less interesting each one becomes. The selection process is just as important as anything else. I think you have some good composition ideas, but posting the same idea 5-7 times makes me feel disinterested. Some of them I felt like clicking on to get a closer look, but when I saw 5 other ones that looked nearly identical, I didn't want to be bothered spending time thinking about which one of the set I was most interested in. So I lost interest in all of them and continued scrolling. This is how people normally behave.

Ideally you want to pick THE MOST POWERFUL image from a type of images and present that. Then you compliment it by posting other images that focus on different things. If your first image of a photoshoot is a close up portrait, then your next one should be a full body picture of a different pose. You'd then follow this up with maybe a waist up or a shoulders up shot. There's no exact science to it, but your final selection should be varied in both breadth, range, and style. This keeps people interested and will give you more views per image.

Same thing goes with editing. You don't want to have the same post processing effect on every single image. You can still keep the set cohesive even if you change the post processing effects. Diversity and variety are the keys to keeping people interested. Here's one of my collections from a photoshoot I did. There is a sense of cohesion though some images are warm, some are cool, some are vibrant, while others are more classic. http://www.cosplay.com/shoot/212725/ Every set you post should have hills and valleys. The hills are the punctuation pieces that you think really impress. The valleys are the pieces that are nice but aren't necessarily your best. The valleys are just as important as the hills. You have to give viewers some ancillary viewing so they can be thrilled by the main attractions.

Some of my best images I've taken are ones that no one has ever seen. Why? because they were too close to something else I chose to represent my set. I might have one pose that I took 6 fantastic pictures of, but only 1 of them gets shown. The other 5 are better than all the other ones I posted in my photoshoot, but I don't show them because they'd become a distraction from the 1 image I chose to represent that pose. By practicing this restraint, I create a showpiece for my set. Sometimes the most important pictures a photographer takes, are the ones that never get shown. As Van Wilder would say "Write that down."
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote