Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 03-01-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
princedraco

whats the best slideshow program

i use photostory and looks good on computer but when i put on youtube alot of the pics are fuzzy on youtube

Unread 03-01-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

it depends...

easiest one would be lightbox2 (javascript) to implement.

javascript has a few, but I don't know them off the top of my head.
flash has quite a few like slideshow pro and such, but they take a bit of work.
the hardest would be the php/imagemagick based ones like gallery2 requirementwise.

How good are you with programming/do you have your own domain?

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.

Last edited by winterwish : 03-01-2009 at 03:17 AM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
TheBigTog

I think princedraco was asking about a program that will convert his photos into a video slideshow for youtube.

@Princedraco: When you upload the video to youtube, their servers are going to compress it even further. The photos will always a have a certain amount of fuzz ESPECIALLY if you have the photo floating or zooming in the video.

Facebook
deviantART
Cosplay.com
Flickr
TheBigTog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Youtube is designed for live action full motion video. Its compression algorithms assume that you will have continuous frames in rapid succession with relatively small image differences from frame to frame. As a result, the compression reduces the image quality of each individual frame because that loss is compensated for by the inclusion of many other frames and because high fidelity isn't needed to convey motion in the animation. Also, it's not such a big deal since each frame only appears for a fraction of a second and the viewer doesn't have much time to look closely at each individual frame anyway. The compression also depends on the frame-to-frame changes being small so that it only needs to record what's different in the next frame, as opposed to recording each individual frame in its entirety. Audio quality is also reduced because the compression will assume that the emphasis will be on the video's visuals. The list goes on and on.

Youtube does a good job with full motion video because it makes all its compression sacrifices in favor of aspects specific to full motion video. Everything else suffers. Those "videos" which only feature a static image and music in the background (meant to only be an upload of the music itself) sound noticeably worse than dedicated audio files because they rely on that reduced-quality Youtube audio and lack any of the video frames that Youtube intended to compensate the video as a whole with. The same goes for slideshows. A slideshow depends on the image quality of individual frames and lacks some of the compression advantages of full motion video since each successive frame is usually completely different from the last--so each frame does need to be recorded in its entirety. Youtube just isn't made for slideshows.

Your Photostory app is made for slideshows. Since it doesn't have to worry about full motion video compression, it likely uses competent single-image compression (e.g. JPEG) and only concerns itself with successive static displays and the relevant timing, which is quite simple but, again, the type of things that are sacrificed if you instead want to do full motion video.

If you want to put a slideshow online, use something that actually caters to slideshows, like one of shinjixikari's suggestions.

Better yet, don't use a slideshow at all. The slideshow is a relic of film photography invented when someone wanted to display a bunch of photos to a large viewing audience as an alternative to making multiple prints and distributing them. The advantage was the ability to project each image in large format for everyone to see. The disadvantage was that the display was only under the control of the presenter, and not really of the audience. Your typical thumbnail web gallery is much better at the task, as it lets each audience member control their own personal viewing experience (since they decide which photos to click on and when) and still lets everyone see the full-sized version of every photo. Why not just use a standard web gallery instead?

A slideshow (especially on Youtube), aside from being bad-quality, forces the audience to view everything with the order and timing that you dictate. Not much advantage to that unless you're trying to tell some kind of sequential story. Furthermore, it's difficult to internally navigate using a video seek bar (yet another thing which is designed for full motion videos and not slideshows). If someone likes one particular photo of yours, don't you want them to be able to find it and look at it for as long as they want? Youtube makes this task very difficult on the user when it really doesn't have to be.
Unread 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
djaxle
Which way to the Chapp'ai

Flickr does a good job.
Unread 03-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Well youtube slideshows still have their place. More kids will go to a youtube video than a flickr or gallery site when given a link along with playing any bad j-pop/rock music grating in the background they seem to eat it up.

The only thing i can think of to improve your photos is make sure you do everything in High Def and hope youtube does a systemwide upgrade. Follow these hints. http://www.squidoo.com/youtubehd Or do it the old fashion way with a video editor when slide shows had to be put onto VCD or DVD because the place only had TV's to present.

And while HD is 1280x720 resolution. Just remember Youtube's window is 1/4 the size so keep in mind comes out of the wringer.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
SvK

Wow, Av4rice, your post is a better-worded, more-knowledgeable version of what I intended to write.
SvK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
Colton3310

I think you should create cosplay slideshows with the best slideshow maker from Kvisoft. Online flickr photos can be added.