Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.80 average.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #1831
Marc.Perez

Reply 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicdedman View Post
I have only met Danny Choo once, He is awesome and very friendly, willing to answer any question about almost any topic that is on your mind!

I like having Danny Choo & Kyle Hebert at AX every year. Two of the friendliest people you want to meet and having them part of AX is good because it's nice to know that they 2 are fans of Anime and the Culture and have a view of what We the Attendee's like.

Some people say well, why do they have to come back again, well you can almost answer your question with a question (why do you have to come back again)? Because you enjoy AX right? well it's the same for Industry Guests and GOH that Enjoy a Con (They) (WANT) to come back because They (Enjoyed) Themselves the last time!!

P.S - Thank you to AX for the GOH and Music Guests this year, I am not a fan of all of them but it is great to see (new) faces at AX so they can enjoy the Con as much as Other Goh have!

P.S.S Also thanks for inviting a J-Pop Group this year (Carat)!

P.S.S.S Also Thanks for having (Aya Ikeda) of C-Cute, she was Awesome to talk to when she was here couple years ago!
=)

Thank you very much for the complements, I will be sure to pass them on to the team.
Marc.Perez is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #1832
Marc.Perez

Reply 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
Since AX is now expanding heavily into Japaneese pop culture, how about an itasha car show?
That's an idea that we have had before, but haven't yet brought to fruition yet.
Bit late for this year but I'll add it to the list for next year.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #1833
Marc.Perez

Reply 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
True, but the city was already discouraging people from showing up as they didn't have the budget to put up a police presence as they would have liked. The city in 2009 was dealing with a $530 million shortfall. They brought in 2,500 reserve officers that were still billed directly to the funeral at $1.2 million which was only dealt with nearly 9 months after the actual date.
Again.. I see what your saying.
They were planning to hold it on Sunday of Con. We talked to them, and they moved it.
Regardless of the money or amount of people, they were willing to work with us. =)

Quote:
Also, they estimates on potential arrivals was over 750,000, but nowhere near that number actually showed up. So the campaign by the city for people to stay home was largely successful, as it was during the "carmageddon" events. Again, there's quite a difference to moving a memorial, an event where no one is motivated to spend much, if any, money, versus a convention wherein you have a concentrated group of people being encouraged to commerce of varying levels. The city has less of a vested interest in a one-day event than a multi-year multi-day event. As with when the X-Games took priority; large regular money takes precedent over moderate regular money.

Can you show some financials on this? I do find it difficult to believe that the X-Games generates less money than Anime Expo simply because of the athletes and vendors that would take up a lot of room space in the local area. I know I took the elevator in the J.W. Marriott with the X-Gamers daily (at least once to the detriment of my wife). Between their presence and the sheer square footage they rented from the surrounding streets, it does seem likely that their money didn't go to the hotels, but to the city itself.
[/quote]
Emailed the city this morning, when I get something back that I am permitted to share, I'll post it here. Deal?

Very respectfully,

Marc Perez
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #1834
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
What if I was a Terran from another planet? Say a colony on the moon? I'm still human but not from Earth.
You mean like a "spacenoid" from Gundam?

*Throws Federation papercups* Boo! Boo! Hiss! Hiss! Go back to the space colonies, ya spacenoid! And tell your leader, Charz Aznable, he can jump into a blackhole!

And oh yeah...to quote Char Aznable's battlecry, "Sieg Zion!!"

Quote:
If you had to be another race, what would you be. Not talking earth based, but.. Vulcan, Romulan, Pequeninos?
If it's Star Trek, and not a human, it will be Klingon all the way. Why would I want to be a puny weak hu-man from the Federation? Besides you cannnot beat drinking Klingon bloodwine, and eating Gagh! tlhIngan maH! (We are Klingons!)

But then, being a dinosaur like Gorn would be cool too. (That way I can throw rocks at
Captain Kirk all day.)

There's an old saying from a Vulcan elder: (It's one of the jokes that some fans wrote.)

Quote:
"When in war, think like a Klingon.

When in business, think like a Ferengi.

When you are spying, think like a Romulan.

When you want to argue, think like a Cardassian.

When you have a bad day, and just want to hiss & throw a giant rock at someone, think like a Gorn.

When going into politics, be sure to make a lot of promises & long winded fancy speeches, and then kiss some serious arse like the Federation."

If it's Star Wars, and non human, it will have to be a Wookiee. Everyone tends to give Wookiees a wide berth at the Cantina bar, and I can rip their arms out of their sockets if I lose in playing Dejarik chess. (And If I see a Ewok or Jar Jar Binks, I would make them into my personal furcoat.)

By the way, I have to ask this again, why was the Figueroa hotel ever added on the hotel con list for AX?

I've stayed at the place before, and it was horrific, and a safety hazard. There were bed bugs, and there were cockroaches running all over the place. (Plus there were blood stains on the bed sheets.) When I opened the restroom cabinet, (Which was rusty inside) several cockroaches came running out.

When I walked barefoot on the non-carpeted floor, the soles of my feet was covered with black soot & dirt. I fell down a number of times in the bathtub, because the bathtub was curved with a downward slope, and not flat. (When I complained to the manager, Uno, about the bathtub, he just brushed it off and told me if I complain again, he was going to throw me out. (His excuse was that it was a "85 year old bathtub", and there's nothing he could do.) I had to get pain medication from the doctor after the con, because my back was still hurting from the fall.

The conditions were so bad that we checked out after the 2nd day, and checked into the Wilshire Grand. (When it was still there.)

The owner, Uno is even worse, and he's very combative & belligerent. He throws people out just for complaining about the conditions in his hotel. He's not with any hotel chain, and he answers to no one. That place should have been condemned some time ago. (And yes, he doesn't like females, and often talks down to them.)

When it comes to hotels, I'm not super picky. It doesn't have to be the Taj Mahal, Ritz Carlton, or the Four Seasons. As long as the place is really clean & quiet, I'm good. (That's all I ask of a hotel room.)

I slept in tents while out in the field when I was in the Corps, or during historical re-enactments, and I slept really well. (Although my buddy got bitten by a centipede once in his tent, but that's another story.)

But if I got to pay over $130 a night for a hotel room, I don't like having six or eight legged friends visiting me at night in bed.

This place is not suitable for AX attendees, and that place is a safety & health hazard. Is there a way that place can be taken off the AX con hotel list in the future?

Also..I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but do you know that the Millennium Biltmore hotel has a reputation for being haunted? (It's part of the con hotel list for AX.) Ghost hunters would use that hotel often to look for ghosts, and some hotel guests would complain of being "visited" in the middle of the night. (I know some people would scoff at the existence of ghosts, but for many people, it's very real to them.)

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying you should take the Millennium Biltmore off the con list, since it is a perfectly nice hotel. But I'm just letting you know of the haunted reputation of that hotel, and hotel guests may get a "extra roommate" in the middle of the night. (And I don't think they are attending Anime Expo.)

A hotel guest's experience with an "extra roommate":

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...alifornia.html

When it comes to ghosts, I would like to quote Andrew Jackson when he encountered his first ghost, "I'd rather fight the British in New Orleans than to have to fight the Bell Witch." (General Andrew Jackson led his men into victory during the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812, He had a reputation of being tough as nails in combat. But for him, ghosts were a whole different matter.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-13-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #1835
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc.Perez View Post
That's an idea that we have had before, but haven't yet brought to fruition yet.
Bit late for this year but I'll add it to the list for next year.
Cool.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con - Done and tired
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #1836
Marc.Perez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
You mean like a "spacenoid" from Gundam?

*Throws Federation papercups* Boo! Boo! Hiss! Hiss! Go back to the space colonies, ya spacenoid! And tell your leader, Charz Aznable, he can jump into a blackhole!

And oh yeah...to quote Char Aznable's battlecry, "Sieg Zion!!"

If it's Star Trek, and not a human, it will be Klingon all the way. Why would I want to be a puny weak hu-man from the Federation? Besides you cannnot beat drinking Klingon bloodwine, and eating Gagh! tlhIngan maH! (We are Klingons!)

But then, being a dinosaur like Gorn would be cool too. (That way I can throw rocks at
Captain Kirk all day.)

There's an old saying from a Vulcan elder: (It's one of the jokes that some fans wrote.)

If it's Star Wars, and non human, it will have to be a Wookiee. Everyone tends to give Wookiees a wide berth at the Cantina bar, and I can rip their arms out of their sockets if I lose in playing Dejarik chess. (And If I see a Ewok or Jar Jar Binks, I would make them into my personal furcoat.)

By the way, I have to ask this again, why was the Figueroa hotel ever added on the hotel con list for AX?

I've stayed at the place before, and it was horrific, and a safety hazard. There were bed bugs, and there were cockroaches running all over the place. (Plus there were blood stains on the bed sheets.) When I opened the restroom cabinet, (Which was rusty inside) several cockroaches came running out.

When I walked barefoot on the non-carpeted floor, the soles of my feet was covered with black soot & dirt. I fell down a number of times in the bathtub, because the bathtub was curved with a downward slope, and not flat. (When I complained to the manager, Uno, about the bathtub, he just brushed it off and told me if I complain again, he was going to throw me out. (His excuse was that it was a "85 year old bathtub", and there's nothing he could do.) I had to get pain medication from the doctor after the con, because my back was still hurting from the fall.

The conditions were so bad that we checked out after the 2nd day, and checked into the Wilshire Grand. (When it was still there.)

The owner, Uno is even worse, and he's very combative & belligerent. He throws people out just for complaining about the conditions in his hotel. He's not with any hotel chain, and he answers to no one. That place should have been condemned some time ago. (And yes, he doesn't like females, and often talks down to them.)

When it comes to hotels, I'm not super picky. It doesn't have to be the Taj Mahal, Ritz Carlton, or the Four Seasons. As long as the place is really clean & quiet, I'm good. (That's all I ask of a hotel room.)

I slept in tents while out in the field when I was in the Corps, or during historical re-enactments, and I slept really well. (Although my buddy got bitten by a centipede once in his tent, but that's another story.)

But if I got to pay over $130 a night for a hotel room, I don't like having six or eight legged friends visiting me at night in bed.

This place is not suitable for AX attendees, and that place is a safety & health hazard. Is there a way that place can be taken off the AX con hotel list in the future?

Also..I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but do you know that the Millennium Biltmore hotel has a reputation for being haunted? (It's part of the con hotel list for AX.) Ghost hunters would use that hotel often to look for ghosts, and some hotel guests would complain of being "visited" in the middle of the night. (I know some people would scoff at the existence of ghosts, but for many people, it's very real to them.)

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying you should take the Millennium Biltmore off the con list, since it is a perfectly nice hotel. But I'm just letting you know of the haunted reputation of that hotel, and hotel guests may get a "extra roommate" in the middle of the night. (And I don't think they are attending Anime Expo.)

A hotel guest's experience with an "extra roommate":

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...alifornia.html

When it comes to ghosts, I would like to quote Andrew Jackson when he encountered his first ghost, "I'd rather fight the British in New Orleans than to have to fight the Bell Witch." (General Andrew Jackson led his men into victory during the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812, He had a reputation of being tough as nails in combat. But for him, ghosts were a whole different matter.)
I was laughing pretty much the whole way though this post. =)

Regarding the hotel listed. I wasn't on the board when it was selected. You will notice that its not anymore. =)
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #1837
robinchan
Professional Videographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicdedman View Post
I have only met Danny Choo once, He is awesome and very friendly, willing to answer any question about almost any topic that is on your mind!

I like having Danny Choo & Kyle Hebert at AX every year. Two of the friendliest people you want to meet and having them part of AX is good because it's nice to know that they 2 are fans of Anime and the Culture and have a view of what We the Attendee's like.

Some people say well, why do they have to come back again, well you can almost answer your question with a question (why do you have to come back again)? Because you enjoy AX right? well it's the same for Industry Guests and GOH that Enjoy a Con (They) (WANT) to come back because They (Enjoyed) Themselves the last time!!

P.S - Thank you to AX for the GOH and Music Guests this year, I am not a fan of all of them but it is great to see (new) faces at AX so they can enjoy the Con as much as Other Goh have!

P.S.S Also thanks for inviting a J-Pop Group this year (Carat)!

P.S.S.S Also Thanks for having (Aya Ikeda) of C-Cute, she was Awesome to talk to when she was here couple years ago!
This is completely irrelevant to the topic but I'm fairly certain Aya Ikeda isn't part of C-Cute.
robinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #1838
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Regarding the hotel listed. I wasn't on the board when it was selected. You will notice that its not anymore. =)
The Figueroa Hotel was still listed last year. But I'm glad it's off the table now. I hope it will never be listed as a AX con hotel again.

Take that Uno Thimansson! And you can keep all your bed bugs & cockroaches with you! (I hope they all take tuns in biting your arse!)

The slogan for the Figueroa Hotel should be.. "This hotel insults one star hotels."

Fun fact: The "Ghostbusters" movie shot some of the interior "slimer" scenes at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel. (Who knew there were several real ghosts in there?) The hotel is also used as a meeting place for many Ghosthunters & paranormal associations.

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-13-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #1839
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
The Figueroa Hotel was still listed last year. But I'm glad it's off the table now. I hope it will never be listed as a AX con hotel again.

Take that Uno Thimansson! And you can keep all your bed bugs & cockroaches with you! (I hope they all take tuns in biting your arse!)

The slogan for the Figueroa Hotel should be.. "This hotel insults one star hotels."

Fun fact: The "Ghostbusters" movie shot some of the interior "slimer" scenes at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel. (Who knew there were several real ghosts in there?) The hotel is also used as a meeting place for many Ghosthunters & paranormal associations.
You know it's not going to stop people from reserving rooms for AX. Yes, they'll have to pay some kind of higher price than before, but it won't deter people from reserving rooms.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con - Done and tired
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #1840
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
You know it's not going to stop people from reserving rooms for AX. Yes, they'll have to pay some kind of higher price than before, but it won't deter people from reserving rooms.
Probably not. It may be "buyer beware", but ultimately, it's up to the person how much they want up to put up with or tolerate.

It's like the San Diego Comic Con. There were a few hotels that were not part of the convention list, but some con goers were so desperate that they booked into unsafe, seedy hotels.

I'm not going to say which hotel, but one con goer who booked into one of these unsanctioned seedy hotels was bitten all over by bed bugs, as well as cockroaches. But he felt that it was worth it to get bitten all over, and have open sores, just so he can go to the con. (Some people are willing to risk their health & safety, just so they can go to a con. You can warn them, but you can't stop them, if that's what they want to do.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-13-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #1841
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

Quote:
Probably not. It may be "buyer beware", but ultimately, it's up to the person how much they want up to put up with.

It's like the San Diego Comic Con. There were a few hotels that were not part of the convention list, but some con goers were so desperate that they booked into unsafe, seedy hotels.

I'm not going to say which hotel, but one con goer who booked into one of these unsanctioned seedy hotels was bitten all over by bed bugs, as well as cockroaches. But he felt that it was worth it to get bitten all over, and have open sores, just so he can go to the con. (Some people are willing to risk their health & safety, just so they can go to a con. You can't stop them, if that's what they want to do.)
Ew that's just so unsanitary. :/ But I guess if it's worth the risk then gung ho?

Cons Attending
[Miku Expo]

dA
Facebook
Instagram
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #1842
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Ew that's just so unsanitary. :/ But I guess if it's worth the risk then gung ho?
Considering that bed bugs bites can potentially cause infections...

No, I'm not THAT Gung Ho.
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #1843
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinchan View Post
This is completely irrelevant to the topic but I'm fairly certain Aya Ikeda isn't part of C-Cute.

I'm sorry I meant to say (C-ZONE) - sorry for the confusion.

Aya Ikeda is part of C-Zone

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...-at-anime-expo
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*

Last edited by sicdedman : 06-14-2013 at 09:26 AM.
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #1844
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Probably not. It may be "buyer beware", but ultimately, it's up to the person how much they want up to put up with or tolerate.

I'm not going to say which hotel, but one con goer who booked into one of these unsanctioned seedy hotels was bitten all over by bed bugs, as well as cockroaches. But he felt that it was worth it to get bitten all over, and have open sores, just so he can go to the con. (Some people are willing to risk their health & safety, just so they can go to a con. You can warn them, but you can't stop them, if that's what they want to do.)
And I checked that hotel, and it's SOLD OUT for the SDCC weekend this year..

I personally haven't had any problems at that hotel, and I've seen worse.. the one I stayed at last year during AX was 12 blocks away, in a really crummy part of the city, no A/C in the room, and there were only 2 electrical outlets in the entire room. (considering I have about 4-5 stuff I need to recharge each night.) I vow never to stay there again after last year, and earlier this year there was a news report of a woman's body who was found stuffed in a water-tank on the ceiling, and she had been missing for a while, all the time the residents of the hotel were using that water to shower, brush their teeth, etc. ewwwwwww...
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #1845
choxie-chan
Uchuu KITAAAAA!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeiChama View Post
Agreed, and that would be horrifying, and not safe at all.

sorry if I bugged in but I'm a HUGE believer when it comes to paranormal like this hotel. People like my Mom and my Grandpa (Mom's Dad) believe this as well (we're mainly Catholic but we're Christian because we love diversity) so yes, we believe in UFOs, ghosts, spirits, and deamons exists. We've experienced paranormal events too before.

this is something I wouldn't laugh about at all (unless its from nervousness)

I once went to a Paranormal convention at my school and asked a few Paranormal investigators about places such as this hotel. They agreed that this hotel is indeed haunted and we should avoid it at all costs. A few investigators went in and they could find LOTS of negative energy over there. I even heard from someone that workers had to carry a cross and some holy water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
And I checked that hotel, and it's SOLD OUT for the SDCC weekend this year..

I personally haven't had any problems at that hotel, and I've seen worse.. the one I stayed at last year during AX was 12 blocks away, in a really crummy part of the city, no A/C in the room, and there were only 2 electrical outlets in the entire room. (considering I have about 4-5 stuff I need to recharge each night.) I vow never to stay there again after last year, and earlier this year there was a news report of a woman's body who was found stuffed in a water-tank on the ceiling, and she had been missing for a while, all the time the residents of the hotel were using that water to shower, brush their teeth, etc. ewwwwwww...

YES THIS. EXACTLY. THIS EVERYONE.

AX 2014
Day 1: Struttin on fairy kei
Day 2: Mariah - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Day 3: Chen - Touhou
Day 4: Mariah - JJBA:SC
choxie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote