Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 06-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
captainbad

Captain Malcolm Reynolds pants stripe

First off I'd like to say a big hello to everyone here. I should be recieveing the pants for my Captain Mal costume tomorrow and was wondering if anybody had any advice on how to sew the strip onto the side of the legs. I have the strip all dyed and ready to go I'm just a little lost on how to do it without sewing my pants shut

Thanks!
captainbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

Do you have a reference picture?

Are we talking just a stripe down the side like tuxedo pants? Something else?

If so, your best bet is to see it on by hand.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan

Last edited by Kelley : 06-13-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
captainbad

Unread 06-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
captainbad

Yes it is close to a tux pant strip I suppose.

From the close up these look like they were done on a machine, but I'm no expert.
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
harmonyisarine

Unless you want to tear out seams just to sew them in again, sew the stripes on by hand. Look up hand stitches, a blind stitch should work for this (though I'm not particularly good at handsewing, if anyone else has a better stitch choice). Take your time and make sure your stitching is solid and pulled taut enough, so that the strip doesn't bubble off the pants when you're wearing it.
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
captainbad

I heard that someone used something called "no sew tape" is this something any of you have worked with?
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I've used the stitch witchery stuff that's out there. It's okay, but I usually use it just to fuse something down before stitching to secure it best. Heat n bond (or any other fusible webbing like that) is better than the no sew tape stuff in my opinion.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Kelley
Devil of Details

I don't really trust the glue-strip things. I've had that kind of thing fall apart.

In the pictures you sent to me, it looks like it's straight-stitched down the side - so you don't have to worry about blind-stitching or hiding your stitches. You could even possibly get some/all of it done by machine if you're really careful and bunch the fabric up as you sew to reach more of the seam while not getting another layer caught under it. However, it will probably be logistically easier to just hand-sew it on - and you only need a straight-stitch - and since you will match the thread to the trim you don't even need to be able to sew it very neatly because it won't be very visible and it's the kind of trim you can just sew through (like is done in the picture).

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

What I did is I had a friend of my mom's (who is quite good at sewing) use iron-on tape to attach the stripes, and then I stitched them on by hand to make them stronger. As long as you're careful you won't have to worry about sewing the pants shut (although I wouldn't wear anything with long, baggy sleeves - I accidentally sewed one of my sleeves into the pants and had to get it detached. Didn't ruin my shirt or the pants, but it was incredibly frustrating)

In progress: Connor Kenway - on hold; Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier - 15% (on hold); Jaime Lannister - 80%; Mal Reynolds (improved) - 15%; Arno Victor Dorian - 5%

Future/considering: Daryl Dixon, improved Vash, Shay Patrick Cormac, Spike Spiegel
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
captainbad

Do you have to have a certain # of posts to post pics?
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
maskerdashery

Heat n Bond! Or some other type of iron on transfer. It's similar to no sew tape, but you iron it on so it's much more permanent. And you can get it at any craft store; I think even Walmart sells it.

It comes in varying widths and you don't have to worry about any stitches being seen.
I bring a roll of it to every convention because it's also handy for quick fixes.

(Just So you have an idea of what it looks like) My friend and I used it for the purple and gold edging on these costumes.

http://media.tumblr.com/14835d445f84...UKt1qz4rgp.jpg

Her's is a little puckers in some spots because the gold ribbon she used was fairly stiff and awkward to work with. But it got the job done.
She's also used it to put stripes on her Deadman Wonderland Minatsuki bloomers.

I hope this helped!
maskerdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
captainbad

Here are a few pics of the mostly finished costume. Just waiting to get my suspenders which should be here on Monday, then saving up for a nice Browncoat. Let me know what you all think!