Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
dooork

How does everybody cut down on the sweets?

Or food, just in general.

I need to lose some weight for a cosplay, and cardio workouts, target exercises, cutting calories... I'd have to say that the last one is the one that hinders my progress most.

I've been cutting down on the amount of candy I've been eating, but now without those treats I feel hungry a lot sooner than mealtimes. I don't feel like I'm starving myself??? I eat all 3 meals, just cutting off the extra calories by banning chocolate etc. I know that going back to eat those cookies and everything isn't the solution but how's everybody resisting the urge to eat something at times like this? Thanks!
dooork is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
NerdAtHeart

Hey, to keep fuller for longer try:
-Drinking lots of water (little sips regularly, not one big binge)

-Protein-based snacks (keep you satiated)
Protein keeps you fuller for longer (vs carbs). Try snacking on lean meats like chicken or fish (if you're an omnivore)...

-Increasing fiber intake in meals
You can get plenty of fiber from fruits and veg.

-Fat-based snacks
Now fat's a bit of a controversial topic, but you can't go wrong with healthy fat sources like avocado. I have eggs with extra virgin olive oil layered on top. Fat keeps you full and in its purest form isn't that bad or even is great for your health/fat loss!

And remember cutting calories isn't about not eating (as you mentioned), it's about cutting the fattening foods we eat too much of the time. So replace these sweets with filling snacks (like mini-meals) and you'll be causing less fat storage to happen in your body!
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Bovice

This is what I personally do.

Sugar free jello. Then I flavor it with Mio 0 calorie drink flavoring.

A 4 cup box of sugar free jello (8 servings) is 80 calories (10 cals/serving). and is about the equiv of 10+ pudding packs in size (easily, probably 15-20 tbh).

Can down the whole thing in one sitting and not feel guilty about it.

I recently discovered the offbrand jello sugar free, which is half, 5 cals/serving, but when mixing it with the Mio, I haven't been able to get i to quite solidify yet. I'll have to experiment with it.

Also helps w/ the keeping full/hydration aspect of it, since my jello bowl is a quarter gallon of water
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
emmisu
King of Toast

Usually I'll buy like one dessert a week (a big cupcake/brownie/whatever) and divide it reasonably by 4 or so and then I have a sweet snack allowance all week, just to get the craving out.

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
SaphhireDreams
Where's my f@*king tea?

If I want something that's sweet, I find that the Yoplait Light dessert yogurts work for me. Even just light vanilla yogurt. It tricks my brain into thinking that because it tastes like Boston creme pie, then it must be and the calorie intake is only about 135
SaphhireDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Captain Kaiba
What's up, Proto-butt?

For me it's kind of a matter of how much I want to lose weight. Willpower is incredibly important when you're changing your lifestyle and sometimes it gets difficult.

Counting calories might not work for everyone but it has greatly helped me keep everything in perspective. I see how many calories some chocolate has and I came to the stunning realization I get more bang for my calories by eating berries. They're less calorie dense, have more nutritional value, and I find they don't make me crave more sugar.

That's not to say I never eat baked goods, because I do. I just don't buy as many of them like I used to, and I don't eat a whole scone in one sitting.

Last edited by Captain Kaiba : 06-14-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Captain Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Rex Surrection
Scott Oma

What's worked for me: I drink a lot of green tea with artificial sweeteners added. Treat those candy sweet cravings with fruits. Nuts, popcorn (the low butter kind), and spicy foods (like kimchee) can help satisfy the cravings. Definitely stay off all sugary pop (soda). Avoid high-carb starchy foods like muffins, cookies, and lower bread and rice intake.
Rex Surrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Boreotheria
n00b

I just don't keep them around. If I have desserts in the house I eat them after every meal until they're gone. :P If I don't have them in the house, problem solved. Also I'm starting to notice that if I avoid daily habitual eating of sugary things, I don't crave them as often.

If I'm genuinely feeling hungry between mealtimes (and not just bored or craving something sweet) I'll have a bowl of mini carrots or an apple and cheese or something. My new favourite healthy snack is edamame. Buy them frozen, steam up a bowlful when you want a snack, and lightly salt them. They're a great snack because of the busywork factor of eating the peas out of the pods and discarding the pods, and that satisfies the psychological urge to snack as well as being a proteiny source of nutrition.

Make sure you are getting enough actual calories in your meals. If you're just eating salads you feel hungry because you aren't getting enough nutrition or energy from it, and of course you'll want high-calorie foods as snacks.
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
dooork

Wow thanks everybody! I never expected anybody to actually reply lol.

@NerdAtHeart: I'm doing most of that! Except the veggies/fruits bit. I find that if I eat fruit, especially apples, I start feeling hungry within 10 minutes... any ideas on that part? I don't want to avoid fruit since they're a better alternative to snacking on chocolates but... hahaha...

@Bovice: hmm haven't tried that jello stuff yet, I'll look into it one of these days. How do you know if you've drunk too much water though? In the mornings I try to get through 1L of water but it makes me really full and I don't want to cut down on breakfast either...

@emmisu: omg I'm hopeless I'd just eat the brownie in one sitting and... eat more in the week lol. My willpower is so weak it's shameful XD

@SaphhireDreams: Definitely! Yogurt is one of my favourite desserts, only it's so expensive... haha...

@Captain Kaiba: My sense of willpower is pretty strong in all other aspects except this... so I thought, if I get into cosplaying, I'll be putting more pressure on myself to get into proper shape lol. It's hard for me to keep track of calories though... I don't know why... maybe it's because I eat too much weird snacks o.o

@Rex Surrection: Not such a big fan of artificial sweeteners, but I like green tea on its own! Yeah I'm still battling with myself whether or not I should eat that cookie in the cupboard... :<

@Boreotheria: It was easy when I lived by myself but now I'm living with family it's hard to keep sweets out of the house because not everybody is on diet... D I'm getting calories, oh yes I am (definitely lol) I'm pretty sure it's just the extra snacks lol.

If anybody is interested, I'm trying to cosplay from Attack on the Titans, so... better trim down some fat and bulk up some muscle if I want to look good in those buckles and belts! Well it's mostly fat... I have a descent amount of muscle that you can't see because all my layers of fat are in the way... /cry
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
Bovice

Quote:
. How do you know if you've drunk too much water though?
I'm the wrong person to ask that.

@ 5'6"150 lbs, I eat more in one sitting than anyone I personally know. They all claim I have a demon stomach. I have a 280 lb friend over 6 ft tall who I outeat on a regular basis and he always looks at me like wtf.

I personally drink over 1 and up to 2 gallons a day of water, but idk how that'd translate over for anyone else.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
Bovice

Another tip. Avoid going to the Asian market and buying a large box of Mochi...

gets me every damn time.
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Captain Kaiba
What's up, Proto-butt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
Another tip. Avoid going to the Asian market and buying a large box of Mochi...

gets me every damn time.
On a related note, never EVER shop when you're hungry. It could lead to buying unhealthy foods or foods you simply wouldn't have bought if you came to the supermarket when you weren't hungry.

@dooork The fact that you are asking people is a step in the right direction. You seem to be listening to what people have to say and that's fantastical.

MyFitnessPal has a pretty large database of food for calorie counting. Even if the food isn't there, there's a Quick-Add Calories section you can use in a pinch; the only problem with that is you might not remember exactly what it was you ate.

Do keep in mind though, that calorie counting isn't for everyone - even though MFP makes it easier, some people find it too stressful and I can definitely understand that considering there are people who tell you to log every single thing you put in your mouth, whether it be a stick of sugar-free gum or a single blueberry.

For me, I eat apple slices with one or two tablespoons of peanut butter or soy nut butter. It's more filling than fruit by itself and I agree with you that fruit by itself isn't usually very filling.

Last edited by Captain Kaiba : 06-15-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Captain Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
just don't keep them around.
This. I don't keep extraneous junk around and therefore don't eat it. Because I would, probably, if I did.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
DiabolicKei

I don't ban junk food completely out of my diet, I just cap how much I can eat it a week. If you ban something you really love to eat, you're just going to crave it more. So just allow yourself maybe one sweet treat a week or maybe every other week can help you from binge eating or falling off the wagon. That's what I do.

However, if you really feel like you shouldn't be having any sweets at all, just don't keep it in the house, out of sight out of mind.
DiabolicKei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
dooork

Whoa you guys are awesome! I feel like if I check the fitness forums everyday I can actually get enough motivation to see myself through my goal lol.

@Bovice: ahhaa mochis... I'm lucky enough to be poor so I can't afford those things. I happen to be a Chinese living away from home (we have ricecakes that are like mochis lol) and I crave them so badly, but... yeah. Too expensive out here :<

@Captain Kaiba: That's a really good idea actually! I find that I buy less if I'm shopping on a full stomach, it makes me crave the junk food a lot less. Yeah I'm open to all ideas atm because I might as well shut up and listen to what others have to say lol.
I've gotten a myfitnesspal account and looking at seeing what they're offering. It looks pretty cool at the moment! I might not count calories all the time, but! It's nice to keep it up just for a week or two just to see if I'm actually cutting any at all lol.

@belligerent: me all the time lol. Hence I am always tempted to eat more.

@DiabolicKei: Yesterday I caved in and bought a hot chocolate... I've a feeling that junk food isn't going to leave me alone unless I eat some of it from time to time...