Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #1831
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Regarding the hotel listed. I wasn't on the board when it was selected. You will notice that its not anymore. =)
The Figueroa Hotel was still listed last year. But I'm glad it's off the table now. I hope it will never be listed as a AX con hotel again.

Take that Uno Thimansson! And you can keep all your bed bugs & cockroaches with you! (I hope they all take tuns in biting your arse!)

The slogan for the Figueroa Hotel should be.. "This hotel insults one star hotels."

Fun fact: The "Ghostbusters" movie shot some of the interior "slimer" scenes at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel. (Who knew there were several real ghosts in there?) The hotel is also used as a meeting place for many Ghosthunters & paranormal associations.

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-13-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #1832
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
The Figueroa Hotel was still listed last year. But I'm glad it's off the table now. I hope it will never be listed as a AX con hotel again.

Take that Uno Thimansson! And you can keep all your bed bugs & cockroaches with you! (I hope they all take tuns in biting your arse!)

The slogan for the Figueroa Hotel should be.. "This hotel insults one star hotels."

Fun fact: The "Ghostbusters" movie shot some of the interior "slimer" scenes at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel. (Who knew there were several real ghosts in there?) The hotel is also used as a meeting place for many Ghosthunters & paranormal associations.
You know it's not going to stop people from reserving rooms for AX. Yes, they'll have to pay some kind of higher price than before, but it won't deter people from reserving rooms.
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #1833
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
You know it's not going to stop people from reserving rooms for AX. Yes, they'll have to pay some kind of higher price than before, but it won't deter people from reserving rooms.
Probably not. It may be "buyer beware", but ultimately, it's up to the person how much they want up to put up with or tolerate.

It's like the San Diego Comic Con. There were a few hotels that were not part of the convention list, but some con goers were so desperate that they booked into unsafe, seedy hotels.

I'm not going to say which hotel, but one con goer who booked into one of these unsanctioned seedy hotels was bitten all over by bed bugs, as well as cockroaches. But he felt that it was worth it to get bitten all over, and have open sores, just so he can go to the con. (Some people are willing to risk their health & safety, just so they can go to a con. You can warn them, but you can't stop them, if that's what they want to do.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-13-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #1834
Waifu Beam
emiya plz

Quote:
Probably not. It may be "buyer beware", but ultimately, it's up to the person how much they want up to put up with.

It's like the San Diego Comic Con. There were a few hotels that were not part of the convention list, but some con goers were so desperate that they booked into unsafe, seedy hotels.

I'm not going to say which hotel, but one con goer who booked into one of these unsanctioned seedy hotels was bitten all over by bed bugs, as well as cockroaches. But he felt that it was worth it to get bitten all over, and have open sores, just so he can go to the con. (Some people are willing to risk their health & safety, just so they can go to a con. You can't stop them, if that's what they want to do.)
Ew that's just so unsanitary. :/ But I guess if it's worth the risk then gung ho?

|| FacebookInstagram ||
Waifu Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #1835
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Ew that's just so unsanitary. :/ But I guess if it's worth the risk then gung ho?
Considering that bed bugs bites can potentially cause infections...

No, I'm not THAT Gung Ho.
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #1836
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinchan View Post
This is completely irrelevant to the topic but I'm fairly certain Aya Ikeda isn't part of C-Cute.

I'm sorry I meant to say (C-ZONE) - sorry for the confusion.

Aya Ikeda is part of C-Zone

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...-at-anime-expo

Attending : AX 2016 (9th Year, 2nd Year Industry)
SDCC 2016 (8th Year, 2nd Year Staff) - PMX 2016 (7th Year Attendee, 2nd Year Staff)

Last edited by sicdedman : 06-14-2013 at 09:26 AM.
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #1837
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Probably not. It may be "buyer beware", but ultimately, it's up to the person how much they want up to put up with or tolerate.

I'm not going to say which hotel, but one con goer who booked into one of these unsanctioned seedy hotels was bitten all over by bed bugs, as well as cockroaches. But he felt that it was worth it to get bitten all over, and have open sores, just so he can go to the con. (Some people are willing to risk their health & safety, just so they can go to a con. You can warn them, but you can't stop them, if that's what they want to do.)
And I checked that hotel, and it's SOLD OUT for the SDCC weekend this year..

I personally haven't had any problems at that hotel, and I've seen worse.. the one I stayed at last year during AX was 12 blocks away, in a really crummy part of the city, no A/C in the room, and there were only 2 electrical outlets in the entire room. (considering I have about 4-5 stuff I need to recharge each night.) I vow never to stay there again after last year, and earlier this year there was a news report of a woman's body who was found stuffed in a water-tank on the ceiling, and she had been missing for a while, all the time the residents of the hotel were using that water to shower, brush their teeth, etc. ewwwwwww...
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #1838
choxie-chan
Hayaku… furimuite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeiChama View Post
Agreed, and that would be horrifying, and not safe at all.

sorry if I bugged in but I'm a HUGE believer when it comes to paranormal like this hotel. People like my Mom and my Grandpa (Mom's Dad) believe this as well (we're mainly Catholic but we're Christian because we love diversity) so yes, we believe in UFOs, ghosts, spirits, and deamons exists. We've experienced paranormal events too before.

this is something I wouldn't laugh about at all (unless its from nervousness)

I once went to a Paranormal convention at my school and asked a few Paranormal investigators about places such as this hotel. They agreed that this hotel is indeed haunted and we should avoid it at all costs. A few investigators went in and they could find LOTS of negative energy over there. I even heard from someone that workers had to carry a cross and some holy water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
And I checked that hotel, and it's SOLD OUT for the SDCC weekend this year..

I personally haven't had any problems at that hotel, and I've seen worse.. the one I stayed at last year during AX was 12 blocks away, in a really crummy part of the city, no A/C in the room, and there were only 2 electrical outlets in the entire room. (considering I have about 4-5 stuff I need to recharge each night.) I vow never to stay there again after last year, and earlier this year there was a news report of a woman's body who was found stuffed in a water-tank on the ceiling, and she had been missing for a while, all the time the residents of the hotel were using that water to shower, brush their teeth, etc. ewwwwwww...

YES THIS. EXACTLY. THIS EVERYONE.

Cons I'll Probably Attend
Anime California 2016?
TouhouCon?
Anime Los Angeles 2017?
Anime Expo 2017?
choxie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #1839
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
the one I stayed at last year during AX was 12 blocks away, in a really crummy part of the city, no A/C in the room, and there were only 2 electrical outlets in the entire room. (considering I have about 4-5 stuff I need to recharge each night.) I vow never to stay there again after last year, and earlier this year there was a news report of a woman's body who was found stuffed in a water-tank on the ceiling, and she had been missing for a while, all the time the residents of the hotel were using that water to shower, brush their teeth, etc. ewwwwwww...
Holy smokes! You stayed at the Cecil hotel in LA? That's a hotel that even the LAPD police are reluctant to respond to. That place is rough, and there's been number of stabbings & shootings, as well as prostitution & drug exchanges in that building.

The deceased woman was a 21 year old Canadian tourist who went missing after she came to visit LA & checked in the Cecil hotel. Her body decomposed in the water tank for 19 days, and people used that water to drink & shower . (Police say that her body may have been dumped into the water tank.)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/21/us/cal...-water-corpse/

A firefighter was even stabbed right outside of that hotel back in 2010:

http://blogdowntown.com/2010/05/5356...de-cecil-hotel

A man was stabbed to death inside that hotel in 2008:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-homicide.html

If you cosplay there, it would be like wearing a neon sign that says "Please rob me" to the gangbangers, and drug addicts.

In the past, the check in desk for that hotel used to have a bullet proof window.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jan...cal/me-cecil25

Keep in mind, that if you stay in the bad areas of LA, it can be dangerous. Stay safe, and avoid those areas.

Quote:
I once went to a Paranormal convention at my school and asked a few Paranormal investigators about places such as this hotel. They agreed that this hotel is indeed haunted and we should avoid it at all costs. A few investigators went in and they could find LOTS of negative energy over there. I even heard from someone that workers had to carry a cross and some holy water.
I also heard that too. Some of the hotel employees at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel would wear crosses, and some are reluctant to go to the 13th floor at night. The Ghosthunters say that it's a very "active" hotel. (Especially at night or during the wee hours of the morning.)

Some people may think it's fun to go looking for them. I'm not one of those people.

Last edited by Hakaider : 06-14-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #1840
Black_The_White

...That sounds..absolutely terrifying.

I'm supposed to stay at the Solaire this year but the person is really..terrible..at emailing back and I haven't heard back from them in a few weeks so that's probably a no go. haha. oh well. I wasn't entirely thrilled about being off the AX block anyways..

Conventions
Fanime 2016
Anime Expo 2016
Black_The_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #1841
iaShakezula

The front of this thread needs to be updated for this year .

Done and Ready:
Isshiki Senpai - Food Wars

[/font]
[/size]
[/size][/color]
iaShakezula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #1842
Waifu Beam
emiya plz

O____O OMG, my friends and I were considering the Cecil too. I'm glad we didn't. That's scary. ;___;

|| FacebookInstagram ||
Waifu Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:26 AM   #1843
Negimeister00
The Master of Leekerus

Last year at AX 2012, I booked for one night with my group that consisted of my brother and friend at the Cecil. I could recall a lot of things on what happened during our stay because I was the only one who was sadly awake for most of the night watching Monty Python's The Life of Brian on the old TV. ((((;゜Д゜)))

Anyway, the floor that our room was on, had a window with an view of the gargoyles on the building across the street. It was kinda creepy, but that did not was not as scary as opening the elevator doors on a floor to see some huge wall painting of a black animal or wolf. There is no 13th floor as I have personally used the elevator. As for our room, we had an family suite, with old carpet and firm pillows that was not heaven at all.

Well to play it safe, I do advise that people should do not go or stay the Cecil despite its nice looking lobby. Please, there are better places than Cecil.
Negimeister00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #1844
KittyKax
Little Miss Starlight

Holy Crap! I stayed at the Cecil last year and I had no idea about any of that stuff!! O___O

Thank GOD we didn't get robbed considering we were cosplaying and walked around the area at night(helped that we were in a group). That place was an absolute crap hole though. You walk into the lobby and sure it's pretty nice looking but as soon as you go upstairs it's like you walked into a prison. The rooms are about the size of a walk in closet with a sink and mirror and crappy TV, and then each floor has 2 bathrooms with 1 shower and toilet each. Not to mention the staff was terribly rude. Never. Again.
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #1845
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Mr. Perez.

I talked this over with my wife, and we would like an explanation about Allison McKnight's unprofessional behavior on your Facebook page.

http://www.missionstartpodcast.com/u...37304_orig.png

I can understand having few choices and not enjoying being yelled at, but if she is a manager, she owes a lot of people an apology, in my opinion, for her comments here. I'm a father, and I don't find the idea of "baby rape" as a practice or a metaphor acceptable, especially by a management-level individual.

Additionally, the use of "CTFD" (i.e.: Calm The F&#$ Down) adds an extra level of immaturity.

Then, she allowed herself to be encouraged to continue by a few negative people.

What kind of disciplinary action did you take for this?
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote