Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #196
dx7879
King of the Pirates!
 
dx7879's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatTehninja View Post
Hi! I currently live in Wisconsin but I'll be moving to Chicago next fall for college.
I think it would be helpful to become acquainted with cosplayers in the area because having friends is nice ahah.
Hooray for more Illinois cosplayers! Hopefully you get a chance to check out some of the smaller cons around the area if you haven't. There's Kollision in November, and Domocon and Anime Apocalypse in December.
__________________
Facebook Page

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #197
KatTehninja
Registered User
 
KatTehninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
Hooray for more Illinois cosplayers! Hopefully you get a chance to check out some of the smaller cons around the area if you haven't. There's Kollision in November, and Domocon and Anime Apocalypse in December.
I've heard of Anime Apocalypse and Kollision and I want to go! Where are they held? Just random hotels?
I'm in need of a November con because between Acen and AMKE, there's nothing, and that's a whole 8 monthish span of no cons ahah.
KatTehninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #198
dx7879
King of the Pirates!
 
dx7879's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatTehninja View Post
I've heard of Anime Apocalypse and Kollision and I want to go! Where are they held? Just random hotels?
I'm in need of a November con because between Acen and AMKE, there's nothing, and that's a whole 8 monthish span of no cons ahah.
Anime Apocalypse may be a bit too far unless you're willing to make a drive. This year will be it's second year and it will be in Rockford, IL. Killision Con in November is held in Rosemont this year at the Crowne Plaza. I think Kollision is in the 4th or 5th year now. Domocon in December is held at a hotel out in Lisle, IL and that will be the 3rd or 4th year.

Also if you need another Summer con nearby, Anime Midwest is held in Rosemont, IL in July lol. I'm on my test out every con nearby to see which ones I really like XD
__________________
Facebook Page

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #199
KatTehninja
Registered User
 
KatTehninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
Anime Apocalypse may be a bit too far unless you're willing to make a drive. This year will be it's second year and it will be in Rockford, IL. Killision Con in November is held in Rosemont this year at the Crowne Plaza. I think Kollision is in the 4th or 5th year now. Domocon in December is held at a hotel out in Lisle, IL and that will be the 3rd or 4th year.

Also if you need another Summer con nearby, Anime Midwest is held in Rosemont, IL in July lol. I'm on my test out every con nearby to see which ones I really like XD
I may check out Kollision con, then. Rosemont is the perfect distance.
I was thinking about Anime Midwest but it was too close to Acen and I don't have the funds ahah. Also, it's fourth of July weekend so I'm already busy then.
I do that too! I've narrowed it down to Acen, AMKE, and possibly one in between.
What cons do you frequent?
KatTehninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #200
dx7879
King of the Pirates!
 
dx7879's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatTehninja View Post
I may check out Kollision con, then. Rosemont is the perfect distance.
I was thinking about Anime Midwest but it was too close to Acen and I don't have the funds ahah. Also, it's fourth of July weekend so I'm already busy then.
I do that too! I've narrowed it down to Acen, AMKE, and possibly one in between.
What cons do you frequent?
Too bad you can't make Anime Midwest, because the con is starting to become really big. I think it's the second largest anime convention in Illinois.

Kollision was awful last year, but it fell on Thanksgiving weekend so I blame that. The year before it was a lot of fun though! Also before they moved to Rosemont they were about 25 minutes from my house so no problems getting there I think I'm only going to that just Saturday unless they have really good guest there.

If you're looking for something between, maybe give Domocon a shot too if you have transportation. It's going to be the first year, but it's run by the people who do Anime Midwest. Lol, it's about 10 minutes from my house XD

Lol, as for cons I go to. I really overdid myself the past year. I was literally trying to check out EVERY con within 1 hour from me XD I went to

Acen - The con I always have to go to, and is my main con
Anime Midwest - Went for the first time last year and LOVED it!
Anime World Chicago - Well, that's gone now, lol
Kollision Con - Sucked last year, but it was close by
Anime Apocalypse - Drove like 1 and a half hour everyday to go there. Was a small first year con, but it was pretty cool. Did an epic Gangnam Style on stage while they were deciding winners for the Cosplay Contest XD
AMKE - First time going and first out of state con for me!
Karoshi-con - Small college con at NIU out in Dekalb, IL. Was more fun than I expected, and free
C2E2 - First comic con I have ever been to. Was kind of underwhelming for me. Not as many cosplayers compared to anime cons

I'm planning on going to Ramencon also for a day this year, lol. I keep hearing good things about it, and there's guest I want to meet XD I may also do Soycon for a day to check it out, but that's more of a gathering than a con. It's a BIG maybe right now though. Figure I should do as many cons while I'm still young enough ^.^
__________________
Facebook Page

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #201
KatTehninja
Registered User
 
KatTehninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
Too bad you can't make Anime Midwest, because the con is starting to become really big. I think it's the second largest anime convention in Illinois.

Kollision was awful last year, but it fell on Thanksgiving weekend so I blame that. The year before it was a lot of fun though! Also before they moved to Rosemont they were about 25 minutes from my house so no problems getting there I think I'm only going to that just Saturday unless they have really good guest there.

If you're looking for something between, maybe give Domocon a shot too if you have transportation. It's going to be the first year, but it's run by the people who do Anime Midwest. Lol, it's about 10 minutes from my house XD

Lol, as for cons I go to. I really overdid myself the past year. I was literally trying to check out EVERY con within 1 hour from me XD I went to

Acen - The con I always have to go to, and is my main con
Anime Midwest - Went for the first time last year and LOVED it!
Anime World Chicago - Well, that's gone now, lol
Kollision Con - Sucked last year, but it was close by
Anime Apocalypse - Drove like 1 and a half hour everyday to go there. Was a small first year con, but it was pretty cool. Did an epic Gangnam Style on stage while they were deciding winners for the Cosplay Contest XD
AMKE - First time going and first out of state con for me!
Karoshi-con - Small college con at NIU out in Dekalb, IL. Was more fun than I expected, and free
C2E2 - First comic con I have ever been to. Was kind of underwhelming for me. Not as many cosplayers compared to anime cons

I'm planning on going to Ramencon also for a day this year, lol. I keep hearing good things about it, and there's guest I want to meet XD I may also do Soycon for a day to check it out, but that's more of a gathering than a con. It's a BIG maybe right now though. Figure I should do as many cons while I'm still young enough ^.^
Well you're close to all of those cons! Lucky you! Those cons may be doable if I can get something in with my friend's friend, because he travels to cons all over the midwest and has done so for years! Oh god, how did you have the funds for all of those? Well I guess you're close, so you don't really have to stay in hotels. Did you like AMKE? It's the only con I HAVE to go to, besides Acen. I was disappointed that they weren't able to do Anime World Chicago anymore. Last year I couldn't go and I wanted to go this year.
Yeah do as many as you can as long as you have the opportunity to! Ahhh, Illinois would be the perfect place to be con location wise. You're such a lucky duck.
KatTehninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #202
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator
 
SweeneyTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,958
I live in WI but I can easily take Amtrak to any conventions that are right in downtown Chicago (or I could also drive, it's like a 1.5hr drive, so not too bad). I am wondering though if there are ever any cosplay meetups outside of conventions in downtown Chicago. I couldn't find any Chicago cosplay groups on FB and I found that to be kinda odd since Chicago is a large city and even in Boston (where I go to college) there are a few cosplay FB groups and meetups every week and that is a much smaller city I think.
__________________
I shall be impersonated as *Captain* Jack Sparrow and nothing less!

Why is the rum gone?


Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #203
dx7879
King of the Pirates!
 
dx7879's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatTehninja View Post
Well you're close to all of those cons! Lucky you! Those cons may be doable if I can get something in with my friend's friend, because he travels to cons all over the midwest and has done so for years! Oh god, how did you have the funds for all of those? Well I guess you're close, so you don't really have to stay in hotels. Did you like AMKE? It's the only con I HAVE to go to, besides Acen. I was disappointed that they weren't able to do Anime World Chicago anymore. Last year I couldn't go and I wanted to go this year.
Yeah do as many as you can as long as you have the opportunity to! Ahhh, Illinois would be the perfect place to be con location wise. You're such a lucky duck.
Haha, I work full time so cost wasn't too much of a problem. Also not staying at hotel helps a lot! Although I'm staying at the hotel for Anime Midwest for some reason...From 2008-2010 I only did Acen though. I started expanding in 2011 (went to 3 cons), and this past year has just been trying everything out because I want to cosplay XD Only real far one so far was AMKE and Anime Apocalypse, and still it was just gas money. I'm hoping to go to AMKE either the full weekend or just one day again next year, but that's a while away! Hopefully you're able to do more conventions once you're around here. Rosemont is at least easy enough for you to get to from Chicago. The rest you may need a car :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
I live in WI but I can easily take Amtrak to any conventions that are right in downtown Chicago (or I could also drive, it's like a 1.5hr drive, so not too bad). I am wondering though if there are ever any cosplay meetups outside of conventions in downtown Chicago. I couldn't find any Chicago cosplay groups on FB and I found that to be kinda odd since Chicago is a large city and even in Boston (where I go to college) there are a few cosplay FB groups and meetups every week and that is a much smaller city I think.
There are a few meetups that I hear about every now and then, but I never go. Usually they're at Navy Pier. Then there's Soycon which is pretty much a meetup also lol. Besides that, just lots of cons
__________________
Facebook Page

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #204
Marbleyes
Wishful Dreamer
 
Marbleyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 518
There's always something to do in Illinois. People plan small meet ups all the time. They'll be at small parks or local malls often times.

I'll be attending Anime Midwest this year, Soy-con, maybe Kollision and Domo Con.

Gah! SweenyTodd, I have to meet you! xDD Sorry. I love your Jack cosplay, I think it's brilliant!
__________________
[size="1"]Future Cosplays
Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena [Complete]
Hannah Anafeloz from Black Butler [Complete]
Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion [Complete]
Vanessa from The Little Mermaid [Complete]

Future Cons
C2E2 [Saturday Only]
Anime Central 2014 [Saturday Only]
Anime Midwest 2014
Marbleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #205
KatTehninja
Registered User
 
KatTehninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 236
[quote=dx7879;4698536]Haha, I work full time so cost wasn't too much of a problem. Also not staying at hotel helps a lot! Although I'm staying at the hotel for Anime Midwest for some reason...From 2008-2010 I only did Acen though. I started expanding in 2011 (went to 3 cons), and this past year has just been trying everything out because I want to cosplay XD Only real far one so far was AMKE and Anime Apocalypse, and still it was just gas money. I'm hoping to go to AMKE either the full weekend or just one day again next year, but that's a while away! Hopefully you're able to do more conventions once you're around here. Rosemont is at least easy enough for you to get to from Chicago. The rest you may need a car :/

Yeah that definitely helps! I'm currently out of a job, but starting up commissions and miscellaneous selling on etsy and such, so it's kind of difficult to collect cash moneys ahah. I feel like as long as you're cosplaying it's totally justified to have a hotel room! That way you can put all your shit in there and go back whenever you want to repair or you feel uncomfortable or want to shower out of your wig hair, etc. :3 AMKE is totally worth the drive, yo. Yes yes, Illinois seems like the hot spot for cons, or at least the centerpoint of the ones I want to go to. I may have a car but I'm sure I'll be able to get there by train or mooch a ride :3
KatTehninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #206
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator
 
SweeneyTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
There are a few meetups that I hear about every now and then, but I never go. Usually they're at Navy Pier. Then there's Soycon which is pretty much a meetup also lol. Besides that, just lots of cons
Do you know of any FB groups for Illinois meet ups that I could maybe join?
I will most likely go to Soycon, just trying to get to as many conventions/meetups out here as possible because I'm new to this region of the US and want to start getting to know the cosplayers out here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbleyes View Post
There's always something to do in Illinois. People plan small meet ups all the time. They'll be at small parks or local malls often times.

I'll be attending Anime Midwest this year, Soy-con, maybe Kollision and Domo Con.

Gah! SweenyTodd, I have to meet you! xDD Sorry. I love your Jack cosplay, I think it's brilliant!
If they're small meetups that means that they are local cosplayers who probably all know each other very well right? Driving 1.5hrs for me for tiny meetups might not be a thing I want to do, especially if everyone already knows each other very very well. I'm kinda awkward when joining small groups of people lol
If I remember properly, I think DomoCon is kinda far for me, but I will definitely be going to AnimeMidwest Friday and Saturday and Soycon probably on Saturday.
Haha thank you very much! I will be wandering everywhere at AnimeMidwest so it is very likely that you will run into me. Who will you be cosplaying? I'll keep an eye out for you
__________________
I shall be impersonated as *Captain* Jack Sparrow and nothing less!

Why is the rum gone?


Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #207
dx7879
King of the Pirates!
 
dx7879's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatTehninja View Post
Yeah that definitely helps! I'm currently out of a job, but starting up commissions and miscellaneous selling on etsy and such, so it's kind of difficult to collect cash moneys ahah. I feel like as long as you're cosplaying it's totally justified to have a hotel room! That way you can put all your shit in there and go back whenever you want to repair or you feel uncomfortable or want to shower out of your wig hair, etc. :3 AMKE is totally worth the drive, yo. Yes yes, Illinois seems like the hot spot for cons, or at least the centerpoint of the ones I want to go to. I may have a car but I'm sure I'll be able to get there by train or mooch a ride :3
I usually do one cosplay a day, so no worries about changing. I usually just keep whatever I may need in my car for cons, lol. Also haven't needed a wig yet, so no worries about th hair XD Luckily the major cons are in Rosemont which is convenient for people in Chicago to just take a train in. Still nice to have a car to go back and forth places to though...Domocon sounds promising if if you need a winter con, but it's out in the suburbs. There is a train station probably about 10 minute drive from the location though. Luckily I live like about 10 minutes or so from the place it's held too ^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
Do you know of any FB groups for Illinois meet ups that I could maybe join?
I will most likely go to Soycon, just trying to get to as many conventions/meetups out here as possible because I'm new to this region of the US and want to start getting to know the cosplayers out here
I actually don't know of any groups that's IL specific, but I usually have other con friends who get invited to these meetups, who in turn invite me. I haven't gone to any, especially since most of them are REALLY small. I keep it specifically to actual conventions now, but there's at least a lot of smaller cheaper ones around
__________________
Facebook Page

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #208
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...
 
DarkCloudInc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
I live in WI but I can easily take Amtrak to any conventions that are right in downtown Chicago (or I could also drive, it's like a 1.5hr drive, so not too bad). I am wondering though if there are ever any cosplay meetups outside of conventions in downtown Chicago. I couldn't find any Chicago cosplay groups on FB and I found that to be kinda odd since Chicago is a large city and even in Boston (where I go to college) there are a few cosplay FB groups and meetups every week and that is a much smaller city I think.
There's Cosplay Chicago on Facebook that I joined recently, it's a very active group and they're pretty interesting. They've been doing a lot of partnerships with Reedpop which runs C2E2 and have been getting increasingly bigger along side.

Well, the gatherings are kept to a very minimal amount using invite only so as to keep it from getting out of hand, or so I hear. There was a gathering that was while invite only had exploded to the point where Navy Pier personnel had to intervene. This to me says that if there are gathering that are made public, it could explode to the size of a small con.

A friend of mine goes to these small furry gatherings that happen near or around Chicago, I'm sure there are more it's just you gotta be in the know.

As for C2E2, I've been going since they started and while the cosplays were fewer than anime conventions, a lot of them were more craftier and varied. If the costume contest continues to be sponsored there'll be a higher level of skills to come.
__________________
Facebook (Friend|Fan) - Twitter
RWBY: Blake Belladonna - Gambol Shroud FUNCTIONAL: Done!
RWBY: Pyrrha Nikos - Milo FUNCTIONAL: Designing
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #209
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator
 
SweeneyTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,958
DarkCloudInc, ohh that's why I haven't been able to find the meetups. lol Because they get so huge they had to start making them more private. That makes sense. Now did the Navy Pier personnel intervene because the cosplayers were getting out of control or was it just that it was becoming kind of a nuisance to have large scale meetups?

I've just joined a couple of Chicago cosplay FB groups so we'll see if they approve my request.
__________________
I shall be impersonated as *Captain* Jack Sparrow and nothing less!

Why is the rum gone?


Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #210
Marbleyes
Wishful Dreamer
 
Marbleyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 518
I will be cosplaying as Kaname Chidori from Full Metal Panic on Friday. Katara from Avatar the Last Airbender on Saturday and debuting as a beginner Lolita on Sunday.

I have so much to do before Anime Midwest though! Things to finish!
__________________
[size="1"]Future Cosplays
Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena [Complete]
Hannah Anafeloz from Black Butler [Complete]
Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion [Complete]
Vanessa from The Little Mermaid [Complete]

Future Cons
C2E2 [Saturday Only]
Anime Central 2014 [Saturday Only]
Anime Midwest 2014
Marbleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.