Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
HannahGCosplay

Sayaka's soul gem?

I'd like to make Sayaka Miki's soul gem, but I really don't like how clay looks. I'd like it to look decently like a REAL gem, maybe made of resin? I'm just not sure how to do it with it's shape. Or if there's any other methods I could probably use to make it I'd love that too!

Thanks!
HannahGCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Tomecko
Cosplay Addict

I'm currently in the process of opening an Etsy shop for resin gems, including Sayaka's. Don't worry, I won't try to sell you anything here. XD
To make her gem, I made a Fimo model first, baked it, then used that to build a Fimo setting around it. The setting and gem are two separate pieces, and fit perfectly together. I sanded any imperfections and sprayed them both with a high-gloss lacquer spraypaint to give them a smooth, shiny surface. Then I used Smooth-On MoldStar 15 to make the final molds for the resin, and cast them with Castin' Craft Epoxy Resin. I also used a large stud earring I had to mold the small round gem.
Once I get a decent gold spraypaint for the setting, it'll be done.
Tomecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
erwneoten

http://www.kamuicosplay.com/2011/06/...em-stones.html

In-depth tutorial on what Tomecko was explaining! I imagine you'd just make the mold in the shape of her gem, rather than a circle like in the tutorial. No clue how you'd attach it to your tummy, though.
erwneoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
Tomecko
Cosplay Addict

Spirit gum or body tape should work. Resin is super lightweight when cured, so either one of those should do fine.

Was gonna come back and mention - MoldStar can get pretty spendy for even a small amount, so if you wanted to save a bit of money, you could use a push mold putty - you can find silicone mold putty on eBay in small, affordable amounts. Look for the yellow stuff rather than the purple, it's got a longer working time (the purple putty sets so fast, I hardly have time to push my models in) and is sold in smaller batches.

The only problem with push molds is that they're meant more for soaps or chocolate - I've found my resin cats will come out with a rough surface. But it can be wet-sanded smooth and then sprayed with clear gloss paint to get the surface shiny again. Also, be careful not to push your models in too deep, you can distort the width of your cast and then your pieces won't fit together as cleanly.

Just got my gold spraypaint today, it's beautiful! I can now highly recommend Krylon's Premium 18kt Gold spraypaint for gem settings. The finished products look like so:
Tomecko is offline   Reply With Quote