Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 06-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
erickste
Team Alois

Helm/Headdress Help

Sorry, I know this question gets asked A LOT, but I need further assistance with a headpiece I'm in the process of finishing...or re-making.

So these are for a lolita version of Loki, and I'm trying to make them a little more uh...dainty? lol From the reference that I'm using, the horns are rather small, but generally, in both male and female versions of this character, the helm/headpiece is pretty big. Here's an example of Lady Loki's helm: http://static.tumblr.com/8b7z6je/toum6qk0u/avatar.jpg

So...I'm avoiding the idea of the front forehead headpiece. Only because I'm pretty sure I'm going to be extremely uncomfortable if I'm forced to strap that thing to my head underneath my wig, and I'm either going to be very upset and crabby with a headache, or it's going to keep falling off. So I'm wanting to just attach the horns to the headband. You can't see it in the picture, but there's three rows on the headband. Unfortunately, it's not sturdy enough for the mass of the horns, which are actually pretty light. I made them from foam, layered with paper mache, and then paper clay.

So I guess my question is, what would be the best way to secure the horns to the headband so that they sit on top of my head without moving or tipping, falling off, etc? The wires on the end are starting to slip from the horns and they don't sit flat, and they stab me in the head. So what I'm thinking is, I'm going to have to add a clay base to the headband and secure them that way, add some epoxy...?

I'm really not so hot at prop making, this is probably the most complex thing I've made, aside from gluing together cardboard lol. So if anyone's got some tips that I could make these work and be comfortable, please do, let me know! I don't want to go through the process of remaking these all over again! Thanks guys!
erickste is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Midnight Dawn

Well if you went with the actual head piece then spirit gum should work just fine.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

I have a build log making horns that are extremely similar to these. I just glued them to the headband and sculpted directly, letting my clay be a secondary adhesive. Hope that helps!

http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...suri-2013.html

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
erickste
Team Alois

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbityBlkMage View Post
I have a build log making horns that are extremely similar to these. I just glued them to the headband and sculpted directly, letting my clay be a secondary adhesive. Hope that helps!

http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...suri-2013.html

Oh! How fantastic! Okay, so since I already have the horns finished off, should I get rid of the wire, sand the bottoms down, epoxy it to the headband, and then apply clay around and underneath the headband? Will this be secure enough that it can be packed safely in a suitcase and also not be too top heavy that it'll crack or break on my head? I'm definitely going to work on this tutorial! Thanks!
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
erickste
Team Alois

Better yet, if I chose to redo mine if they do end up being too large, what kind of plastic did you use for the formation of the horns? I might make mine smaller now that I have this tutorial on hand.
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickste View Post
Better yet, if I chose to redo mine if they do end up being too large, what kind of plastic did you use for the formation of the horns? I might make mine smaller now that I have this tutorial on hand.
Here is the plastic I used.

http://www.sdplastics.com/komatex.html

The picture below was taken at Anime Matsuri all the way in Texas, and we're based out of San Diego so it has indeed survived multiple car trips and plane rides in luggage with nary a scratch.

Your initial thought of retrofitting your current horns I think might work, but yeah if you remade them outright that would be even better.

Best of luck to you!

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
erickste
Team Alois

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbityBlkMage View Post
Here is the plastic I used.

http://www.sdplastics.com/komatex.html

The picture below was taken at Anime Matsuri all the way in Texas, and we're based out of San Diego so it has indeed survived multiple car trips and plane rides in luggage with nary a scratch.

Your initial thought of retrofitting your current horns I think might work, but yeah if you remade them outright that would be even better.

Best of luck to you!
Hmm...I might tinker a bit with trying to attach them directly to the headband. If that fails, I think I will have to start over and use that foam reference. Thanks again for your help!