Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
shadowfox57

Funding your hobbies

I am a pokemon player that is apart of a budding league with no backing at all. We want to run tournaments in conventions but we lack the mighty dollar that would let it happen.

I am asking those people who have heard of kickstarter, would asking for funding of that nature be allowed? I have seen some strange things being asked for there, but would someone even pay to help start a pokemon league...its pokemon. a childs games
"not my opinion but other "normal" peoples"
I know we want to be self sufficient by selling t-shirts and merch in a booth. its just that first push that we need.

any other ideas for funding would be wonderful if you can think of something.
shadowfox57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I think if you make a good case for yourselves and post up a professional looking promotional video, fellow Pokemon fans may want to help you. You just gotta think, what would your sponsors gain from sponsoring your group?
I feel like this kind of thing requires a lot of planning ahead, budgeting, figuring out promotions and how to get people interested in this type of event at cons (which shouldn't be difficult since Pokemon is really popular) etc. But I think if you can make your promotional material look super legit (professional video, neat but interesting promotional images etc), people will probably go for it. Sometimes it just comes down to how you market yourselves

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
Seismogenic

An ongoing game league doesn't sound like the kind of thing Kickstarter would be best for. Kickstarter says right on their site that they're there for funding specific projects with finite end products, whether that end is a book or an invention or a concert tour or whatever. Since you intend for the league to go on as long as possible (or, at least, I think that's what you're saying?), the project would probably be rejected because it's not finite. I'm also not sure they'd allow you to use the site to fund a league based on copyrighted material; Kickstarter definitely emphasizes original creative projects.

There are other crowdfunding sites that may have different rules, so those would be worth looking into.

Another possibility might be to start by making some sort of t-shirts (for example), and have that be the thing you crowd-fund, and then use the profit from selling the shirts to help fund the league?
Seismogenic is offline   Reply With Quote