Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Fan Page vs Profile Page

As I work to churn out my cosplay card for an upcoming con, I'm contemplating on simply putting my fan page while excluding my profile page; which are both cosplay-centric.

With that being said, which do you have? If you have both a profile and a fan page centered around cosplaying, which do you reference on your cards and to other cosplayers, phtographers, etc.?
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

It depends how comfortable are you it letting people see your personal page. Maybe you could make two cards one that has your fanpage, the other that has your own Facebook.

As for me, my cards has my fanpage. My personal page is my own personal page for friends and family. I do post alot of cosplay stuff on there, but other then that, I do have stuff on their I don't want people I don't know to see. So for me, I put my fanpage on my cards.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
My_Insanity
Barian Lord

I don't have a facebook page for cosplay, only my personal so I exclude putting it on my cards completely. I have my dA, cure and worldcos on there.
I would put what you're comfortable with putting so even if your own page is cosplay centric, do you post anything you don't really want strangers to see?
My_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

I try to keep most(not all, ut a lot) of my cosplay stuff off my personal profile. Firstly because I'm in law school, and people think I'm weird enough when they see a few of the best photos, imagine if they were getting their newsfeed flooded with all my photos.
Secondly, because I originally was keeping all my cosplay stuff on my personal profile. I didn't even know pages were a thing back then... And I got all kinds of creepy friend requests coupled with messages from guys wanting my number and address and wanting to do certain things to me if you get my meaning, sending me messed up photos that I guess were intended to make me fall at their feet and beg for more, and that creeped me out because I do have my cell number and school info and other identifiers on my personal page, in case my friends ever need any of that stuff. It's set to friends, but regardless, I was freaked out.

That led me to make a cosplay account for me and my sister. And it worked well. It was a place where I could post the photos without being seen as weird or annoying my non-cosplay friends, and it was a place people could friend me and see all my info- but not personal info, because that was only on my personal account. ...But...then FB purged all the cosplay accounts and forced everyone to get a page or use a personal profile. I wasn't going back to using my personal profile for this after my experiences with creepy stalker types, so I made a page.

Long story short, I have a page. My page is what I have listed on my cosplay business cards. If I meet someone at a con that I want to friend on my profile page too, I give them the card, tell them to send me a message on there and I will friend them(because even though my profile page shows up in any FB search for my name, for some reason people can never find me! So finding the page first is easier.) I feel safer listing the page and not profile. That's just me...

Conventions 2014~
-Katsucon- -Castle Point- -AnimeNEXT- -Philly Comic Con- -Otakon- -Dragon*Con- -NYCC-
2013 Cosplays~ Celes Chere-opera gown(FF: VI); Dr. Princess(Adventure Time); Eowyn- green dress(LOTR); Lux(League of Legends); Magik(X-men); Anna(Frozen); Apple Pie(Sakizou); Stella(FF: XV)

Aurora Maryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I have my page info on my cards. My personal profile is very cosplay oriented and I have a lot of friends on there from conventions but those people are usually people that I've seen on multiple occasions.
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Ithlia
Row row fight the powa

I have both honestly, but on my cards I put my page. I honestly only use my account to mainly befriend fellow cosplayers so it is easier to contact one another.

Cosplay Plans:
-Mako (Kill la Kill)
-Popstar Ahri (League of Legends)
-Jill Valentine (Resident Evil 5)
-Ada Wong (Resident Evil 4)
-Poison (Final Fight)

My Facebook Page:Facebook.com/IthliaOfficial
My DeviantArt:DeviantArt
My Tumblr:Tumblr
Ithlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
Sinnocent
Sinful Innocence

I originally had just a regular fb account, and everything was on there, but then I found out that you can only have a max of 5k friends, and I was getting really close to maxing that out, so I switched over to a page.

Upcoming Conventions

AnimeFEST
Friday: Chii (Chobits) Saturday: Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)
Sunday: Nico Robin (One Piece) Monday: Original Design Moon Dress

DCC - Fan Days
Friday: Engineer (Star Trek) Saturday: Julia (Cowboy Bebop)
Sunday: Original Design Moon Dress

+2 (maybe 3) more later this year
Sinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Since FB allows for subscription, I suppose it's also an option to just have people subscribe. Though, admittedly, I do have a separate fb profile for my personal and then an fb profile and fan page for my cosplay.

I've decided to go with fan page to remain consistent with the naming convention.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #9
Satine

I find it causes less drama to have a fully open page (soooo not a 'fan" page) vs making lists/subscriptions on my profile- which has day to day medical issues all over it. It's private but not secret (a phrase increasingly more important as more of our lives are more easily accessible).

But I post progress of my costume making there and occasionally link back in my profile.

Currently trying to stay on my website and use plugins to cross post to social media (only lj is an issue, darnit!) rather than rely on social media.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
ScarletRhapsody
way past weird

I use livejournal. So private, so personal. Just kidding. ^.~

But I gotta admit, I miss those days.

Because of the line of work I'm in, I have to keep cosplay and my professional life separate. There's a lot of groups and lists in my professional life that I'm actively involved in. Not to mention, my real name is attached to research and proposals. I have a cosplay profile. I tend to prefer to be active in various cosplay groups and I love giving advice and having groups where friends and I can plan for our next group project or masquerade act.

I do have a costuming page. I don't actively promote it as much. In other words, if people find it, they do. I don't really care about the amount of likes (different story with my con coverage page since convention press heads looks for stats). It's more focused on "how I did it." While I do post photoshoots on there, I direct people over there. I'm usually cool about adding people to my cosplay profile (granted that we've had a good convo in person), but in the end, it's really what you make of it.

Now how about that livejournal?! lol
ScarletRhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
cinnabubbles
Sugar and Rainbows

I have both, but when I'm up to doing new cards I'm going to put the fanpage on. I mostly use the actual profile to keep up with other cosplayers between cons.

Connect With Me Socially: Tumblr / Facebook / Twitter
cinnabubbles is offline   Reply With Quote