Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #301
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenora View Post
I was just wondering, for the Ethnic, does it have to be as what was done back then? For example, it would be too time consuming for me to embroider the designs by hand when I can put it in my machine and do it for a short amount of time. I am already doing beading by hand and it will take me far longer. Would they put that into account or just go for Interpretation?
For the Ethnic category, you could choose to put it in Interpretation if it is non-modern and you're taking significant liberties with the design.

That said, even in Historical Dress there is no rule that everyone MUST use completely historical methods of construction.

From the rules for both Historical Dress and Ethnic Dress: "It is acceptable to use modern approximates for period materials for reasons of availability, cost, or safety; these approximations should be noted in documentation. Modern machine sewing is allowed."

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories

Last edited by Sarcasm-hime : 06-12-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #302
Wenora
The Musical Mage

Thanks! Just want to confirm that.
Oh awesome, I will probably go for Interpretation since that's what I started to do. Black and white photos are so difficult to decipher if I am trying to figure out how they made their dresses.
Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm a CC noob XD

Blog: http://wenora.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wenor...57531264268612
DA: http://prishe2win.deviantart.com/
Wenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #303
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

booked my hotel
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #304
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Just booked mine! Could only afford two instead of three nights, though. But I'll be living in Toronto when Costume-Con comes around, so I can spend an hour on the bus/subway on Monday (I'll be living in North York, not exactly close to Etobicoke).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #305
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Also, I only just noticed the costume exhibit thing- though I'm not 100% sure I can get it to Toronto from where I'm currently keeping it (I'll be living in Toronto for school, so a limited amount of costume things coming with me, and the others would be presumably staying at home 300 kilometres away), I have a big hand-embroidered cloak I'd love to display at it if we get the costumes back after the con. (Photos of me wearing it in the lower half of this costume's pictures- http://www.cosplay.com/costume/273272/ )
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #306
siyrean

so what, we're shit out of luck with hotel rooms selling out within a couple hours? Well there goes my plans to bring my US friends in, guess I'm going solo and just looking for someone with extra floor space.

Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver. Emma Swan OUaT, Queen of Mars Archer
Teslacon: Steampunk
Ice and Fire con:
Anime North:
Colossal con:
Apop:
DragonCon:

siyrean is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #307
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyrean View Post
so what, we're shit out of luck with hotel rooms selling out within a couple hours? Well there goes my plans to bring my US friends in, guess I'm going solo and just looking for someone with extra floor space.
as far as I know they aren't booked... I know they were having issues with it showing unavailable with the con code... but if it really IS booked up, you can book at one of the other hotels in the area, its just the AN area... so we all know those hotels well enough...

EDIT: Its been CONFIRMED on the AN page that the hotel is NOT full, and its an error brought on by the site being overloaded... please wait to book your hotels until the issue is fixed and then you shouldn't have an issue.
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni

Last edited by Rainbowgasm : 06-18-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #308
jukebox
role models > supermodels

Putting aside hotel confusion for a moment, I just want to take a minute to sing the praises of two business that are seriously going to save my arse when it comes to making the Katy Perry tour dress: the first is Spoonflower. For the longest time I was convinced that I'd have to painstakingly make the stripes on her bodice by hand with ribbon, until I realized that I could just look up similar stripey patterns on their site. I can mix and match a few different ones and voila, I'll have a far easier time re-creating that part of the costume.

The second is the Ardene outlet store on Dundas Rd. East in Mississauga. I walked in there and noticed they had some sequined tube tops going for about $6, and by the stars they had a Large one in red! It cost me a fraction of what getting sequined fabric would have at a fabric store. *____* I can use that to make the big heart applique on the front of the dress.

Now, if I can find a good deal on glitter tulle I'll be set.

Anyone else have any really brilliant breakthroughs or find any good deals on supplies for their projects lately?

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #309
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I got my 1800 bugle beads for the decoration on my Luna gijinka's skirt for just $4.52. A local board game and craft shop had them on for just a buck a tube when they're usually 4 or 5. But I still have to buy all the dress fabric (ordering the sparkle organza soonish for my veil over the wig and to gather into a bustle/polonaise of sorts to represent her tail, but I'll be waiting til I've moved to TO before buying my lining, silver trim and the charcoal velvet for the rest of the dress). If I needed about eight metres of it and trying to keep costs down so I can afford both it and my $300+ Quorra remake, what's a good place in TO to go? (I'm trying to not pay more than $10 a meter for the velvet/velveteen/whatever sort of velvet I find that works and I've had no luck online. All I can find there is solid black and paler greys.)
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #310
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

In general I love Spoonflower. You can make your own patterns as well. Which I've done for 2 costumes.

Nothing yet, I still have to go fabric shopping first in Toronto before I place an order at Fabric.com. The fabric i really wanted sold out and their not making anymore of it. my two fabric fabric the company they always got stopped making them. They are low luster satins. >_<

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #311
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Ok wow what the heck happened to my Saturdays! I seem like I won't have a free one till September 21st for fabric shopping in Toronto as Sundays they don't have more then half the shops opened. lol

I guess I'll start having to ask/look around KW area till then to see what I can find.

Edit: Since my "Perfect" camera is hitting the market in October at about $2000 with taxes and warranties, I think I'll olny be able to afford one new costume for Costume-Can which will be Souryuu. It's been a decade in my wanting to make catagory, plus I started him. lol

I will be bringing back my Red Queen with fixing things up and a scepter finished for her (finally!).

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 07-12-2013 at 02:49 PM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #312
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Getting craft foam and paint for my Luna tiara tomorrow. Would have been nice to use something more sophisticated, but combine never having used stuff like worbla or wonderflex with budget, and yeah, craft foam it is. Hoping to get a bodice and sleeve mockup done soon too..... god I'm gonna need a lot of fabric. The skirt eats up SO much yardage, and then add in needing a nap layout since I'm making it from velvet.
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #313
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Getting craft foam and paint for my Luna tiara tomorrow. Would have been nice to use something more sophisticated, but combine never having used stuff like worbla or wonderflex with budget, and yeah, craft foam it is. Hoping to get a bodice and sleeve mockup done soon too..... god I'm gonna need a lot of fabric. The skirt eats up SO much yardage, and then add in needing a nap layout since I'm making it from velvet.
How big is the tiara and are you going to be at ConBravo next Friday?? I have a box of scraps that I wouldn't mind digging through for a piece that would be about the size you need? Worbla is super easy to work with :3

2015 Cosplay Plans
Queen Odette / surprise?? / Madam Vastra
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Chibi Lenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #314
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

No, sorry, I don't have any conventions til December. Gearing up for my Toronto move in September (and I live in a con wasteland, so having to pay for train fare and hotels for any event I'd want to go to really limits my budget while here. Still got to be cautious about how many in school, but I can certainly afford more!)
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #315
Prisca712

Just found out that the Future Fashion Folio deadline has been extended to October 1! Now I may actually have time to submit something

Anyone else planning to submit a design?
Prisca712 is offline   Reply With Quote