Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #1111
stilldisturbed

Yeah, I knew that black sharpies weren't black....so I was worried. T^T But I was in such a hurry.. Alright I'll get more sharpies. Thank you so much!!! I really love this site. I don't know what I would do without you. Thank you again
stilldisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #1112
lovesexnpocky
Add that to the tally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldisturbed View Post
Yeah, I knew that black sharpies weren't black....so I was worried. T^T But I was in such a hurry.. Alright I'll get more sharpies. Thank you so much!!! I really love this site. I don't know what I would do without you. Thank you again
No problem! Good luck!

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood!
lovesexnpocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #1113
IchiBLEACHcake

Hello all! I've only dyed a wig with sharpies once for Roy mustang. I just took a purple wig and colored it black, though sadly I didn't rinse and it rubbed off on my friends white shirt.

I'm going to be Yoruichi in three weeks, but the wig I got is a bright grapey color. It's made from kanekalon fibers so I figured sharpies is the best route to make it darker and deeper. However it's a long ponytail and ill be wearing a bright orange shirt. The spray method works best for long hair, as I've heard, but I don't want it to stain my bright orange shirt. Suggestions? I also don't want it to be black, just darker, less grapey purple.
IchiBLEACHcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #1114
Kerodohi
No longer active

@IchiBLEACHcake: You're right. For long wigs, and especially when you don't want a drastic color change, the spray method is often the best option. And as you said, the rinsing is very important ^-^

I'll advise as I usually do - snip a small bit of hair from somewhere unnoticeable and do a swatch test on it. Mix up some dye, spray it on, and rinse it in cold water until the water runs clear. Then take a white tissue or a white towel you're not fussed about ruining and rub it on the dyed fiber to see if any color transfers. If you do get a smudge, rinse again and see if that helps. If not, then you'll probably have to look at getting some wefts or hand-coloring lowlights into the wig to give the illusion of a less grapey color. Unfortunately some wigs just don't take very well to ink and it never really 'sets', yet others will hold the color fine.
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #1115
IchiBLEACHcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerodohi View Post
@IchiBLEACHcake: You're right. For long wigs, and especially when you don't want a drastic color change, the spray method is often the best option. And as you said, the rinsing is very important ^-^

I'll advise as I usually do - snip a small bit of hair from somewhere unnoticeable and do a swatch test on it. Mix up some dye, spray it on, and rinse it in cold water until the water runs clear. Then take a white tissue or a white towel you're not fussed about ruining and rub it on the dyed fiber to see if any color transfers. If you do get a smudge, rinse again and see if that helps. If not, then you'll probably have to look at getting some wefts or hand-coloring lowlights into the wig to give the illusion of a less grapey color. Unfortunately some wigs just don't take very well to ink and it never really 'sets', yet others will hold the color fine.
Thanks! Hopefully I'll get to try out the spray method today
IchiBLEACHcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #1116
Annissė
Annissė

SO LOVE THIS POST! Hand Sharpie'd a shoulder length white wig once two different colors, OMG! that took FOREVER! but results are awesome!
Twitter - Annisse
DeviantArt - Annisse

UPCOMING COMIC CONs 2013:
DragonCon
Comikaze

UPCOMING COSPLAYS:
Evangelion 2.0 - Asuka in latex
Annissė is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #1117
CS3
wannabe world traveler

Does this method work for other things besides wigs?
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #1118
Kerodohi
No longer active

@CS3: It depends what you mean by 'other things'. I know someone in this thread was using Sharpies to dye some lace, but I wouldn't use this method to dye, say, a huge swatch of fabric or something.
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #1119
CherriPetalz
waht is this

Hi everyone! I was wondering if it was possible for me to dye a dark blonde wig into a dark gray color? If so, does sharpie even sell dark gray markers or would i need to mix colors somehow?
CherriPetalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #1120
Kerodohi
No longer active

@CherriPetalz: Ahhh I'm so sorry I missed your post! A qualified yes to the first question - it's possible to dye a blonde wig gray (I've done it before), but it really does depend on what you mean by 'dark blonde'. The darker the base color, the more it's going to affect the end result. If the character has a warm-toned gray, that's great! But if you're going for a bluer gray it would be best to start with a cool-toned wig.

Sharpie does make a color called Slate Gray. I've also used their silver markers in the past, though they do give a much shinier, lighter effect.
Unread 01-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #1121
Alutaps

Hi I have a teal wig but I'm trying to dye it more blue not dark blue just more electric. Is it possible to make the color more vibrant on a close color wig?
Alutaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #1122
Kerodohi
No longer active

@Alutaps: I'd say it depends on how vibrant of a teal color your base wig is. For a really vibrant blue you'd want to hand-color, but this method tends to make the overall color darker. The spray method would give a lighter result but the blue color won't be as vibrant. Personally I would probably use the spray method just because the color can be built up slightly and is less likely to end up with patches that are too dark.

As usual, I'm going to recommend a swatch test - snip a bit of fiber from an unnoticeable place in the wig and test it out with your Sharpie blue of choice ^-^ It's definitely the most reliable way to see what the results will be on a specific wig!
Unread 01-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #1123
Alutaps

@Kerodohi
Thanks! I'm not familiar with the spray method, what is it?
Alutaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #1124
Master Null
queen of the grim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alutaps View Post
@Kerodohi
Thanks! I'm not familiar with the spray method, what is it?
Try this.

~Original White Faun

Future:
Kyoko Sakura, Madoka Magica
Celty, Durarara!
Sugar (Sucre), OFF

PLANNED CONS:

Con Alt Delete 2014
Kollision Con 2015
Uchi-con 2015
Anime Central 2015
Colossal Con 2015
Master Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #1125
BulahLerry

Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me a cheap wigs and it is perfect.

Last edited by BulahLerry : 02-20-2014 at 04:48 AM.
BulahLerry is offline   Reply With Quote