Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 102 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #481
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

KOTSProps, Holy wow that's looking great
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #482
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

Why thank you! It's been an experience so far, and it's really only getting started.

I got the handle wrap on. Used a spetch of black leather (those pieces you can buy at Micheal's) and wax thread. Didn't even bother with glue, with a tight enough saddle stitch, it just holds itself in place. I set the seam so that it's under my fingers when holding it (the blade is typically held with the closed side of the guard down). Getting this on was a lot like lacing a shoe (except with two needles and 8 feet of thread), and I'll be making use of the technique again for my Final Fantasy XI projects.

Since I despise this website's 800KB limit (my new camera averages between 3 and 7MB), facebook links!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...90615999_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...86601685_n.jpg

I'll be fiber-glassing a scabbard this week.

In the mean time, I've finally decided on how to do Lambent Light's guard while my vac former stays in limbo (I have the parts, no pump oil....and time is against me now). My lathe has a faceplate that can be sued for turning bowls. That guard is basically a shallow bowl with no bottom. Lathe a bowl, cut off bottom, instant hilt. Well, OK, I know, I could just use cardstock and make some conical shenanigans, but really, the lathe is the only way I'm going to get the shape dead on without some ridiculous paper hackery. Plus I hate letting a $400 tool just sit in the corner going unused for anything but the odd handle.

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Bard and Dragoon
KOTSProps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #483
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

I wish my Elucidator came out that good xD I used craft foam board and lotsa duct tape :O

http://ameblo.jp/fujyoshi-muffins/en...522911585.html

Oh well, its my boyfriend's now. I'll be making him Kirito's jacket soon enough but unfortunately he won't make it to animeNEXT wit me >:
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #484
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Both of your guys swords look great!!!

I got fabrics for Lyfa this weekend! I should be starting on her soon and I'm also working on Floor 22 Kirito for AzuraChampion. (:
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #485
Azuraschampion
SAO and AW's biggest fan

oh yeah. hows that coming along?
Azuraschampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #486
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Decided to cosplay as the Titania version of Asuna and will probably make Undine as well...at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTSProps View Post
Why does Sakura get all the cool guests? You guys get Reki Kawahara, Haruna Luna, and Eir Aoi. Half the people involved with SAO I'd want to meet (LiSA, Haruka Tomatsu (Asuna), and abec being the other 3). Otakon? We get Vic Mignogna (Edward from FMA dub) and Crispin Freeman...the only awesome guest (in my book) is Masao Maruyama who produced half my anime childhood (CardCaptor Sakura, Gungrave, Abenobashi...among others).

*sigh* I'm going to crawl back into my sewing cave. My Singer is out of the shop and giving me fits (missing the proper bobbin case). -.-
Exactly how I feel. It's their 20th year and they bring back guests they've already had. On top of that, they plan a a second show on the West Coast instead of using said funds to bring said better/new guests.

Last edited by Mykaios : 05-25-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #487
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

It might have gotten a little less lame, both Tetsuya Kawakami and Shingo Adachi are coming (the character designers and lead animators). Might be interresting. There's also the possibility of another concert on Friday, but....I dunno, LiSA?

I AM kinda glad I'll get to see Kanno-sama, she's like the Uematsu of anime to me, and I missed out on her 2003 visit.

I'm mostly waiting on my paycheck so I can order some styrene shapes (half rounds of various thickness being the biggest need) to finish the remaining SAO props.

Enough chat aside...and this is probably not the right thread/place to rant about this, but
it's been on my mind for a week and the decision will probably affect me for the rest of my life.

In fact, its business.

I've been thinking...I'm $2k into this thing in shop equipment and materials and living off about $1100/month (over 50% of which is eaten by student loans and bills)....maybe I should put myself up for hire. I hate my real job as a fast food manager. I've realized I was happier when I was self-employed (not as a commissioner, but as a concessionaire at local fairs and festivals). That, as frustrating as it can be at times, I'm enjoying my hobby more than I expected. My progress has been slow--working evenings and being up all night does that (I really don't want to anger the neighbors by running a lathe at 4 am, let alone my family). But if I went back to being my boss, I could actually live by daylight, lol.

Basically I'm asking a simple question of moral support (my family is wary of the idea right now), and whether I should dive in to scheduling commissions now or wait til I have a wider portfolio of things I did for myself (which would be August)....

No, I'm not dumb enough to outright quit my job without something lined up. Even then, I'd probably drop from management and stay on part-time to smooth things out...

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:

Last edited by KOTSProps : 05-26-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #488
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

Ok, double post...meh, it's been weeks.

As we draw closer to Otakon, there are two things I still really need to make this feel complete (after I finish my coat). First was a wig (ended up with a black Arda Jett that's currently on back order--wonder why that may be...restock is soon so will probably get it by mid-June/early-July), the second are contacts. Que long-winded story!

I already wear glasses full time, but...even though as a net gaming addict his eyesight should be far from perfect (contacts, lol)...Kirito doesn't. I'm not exactly what my script is right now, but I'm losing about 0.25D every two years--it's partly genetic, partly because I spend too much time in front of my computer.

Anywho, I know I'll need an exam for contacts. I can't just take my current script and use it, even if I went thru a mathematical conversion (physics are phun!), so that was a given. My girlfried (who's doing Asuna) happens to have medium-brown eyes. Lucky her.

So...Kirito's eyes are pretty much black pits. I'm looking thru pinkyparadise and can't seem to decide on what would work best. Any recommendations? And recommendations on exams at decent prices? I...like so many...am currently uninsured >_<;

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #489
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Are you using the jet for Kirito? That won't be long enough. The wig heads they use on their pics are smaller then a normal human head. TAll of their wigs look longer then they are.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #490
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

Yeah, starting to reconsider for a Magnum Long...this is Aincrad, btw, but...yeah. I realized that after doing some measurements for my GF's wig...

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
Unread 06-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #491
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

So after getting back from pictures of Azuraschampion and I from Sakuracon I went into SAO mode. ^^'
I've got most of Lyfa done, as well as part of floor 22 Kirito for Azura, and I have a friend who is making me Asuna's school uniform for a trade. Super excited!!
I'm also planning another shoot with my SAO Asuna soon so I can wear my chest plate (I didn't have room in the car to bring it to Sakuracon)

Anyway here's my Lyfa progress. Enjoy!

(Also, does anyone have references for her sword?)
Oh side note! I'm using a tutorial to make my boobs look bigger and I'm wearing a corset to make my waist smaller to play up Lyfa's character. Do you guys think it works/is necessary?
Unread 06-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #492
feistiestcrayon
HUUUUURR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
Oh side note! I'm using a tutorial to make my boobs look bigger and I'm wearing a corset to make my waist smaller to play up Lyfa's character. Do you guys think it works/is necessary?
That looks so nice! I think you have a nice shape for Lyfa, but the corset and boob magic would really work wonders. Most Lyfas end up looking really shapeless because they don't worry about those things, but I think it's really important as long as it isn't incredibly painful or difficult.
feistiestcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #493
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Wooo! I got my wings for Asuna done finally! Now just to make some for Lyfa and for Azura's Kirito! D
Here they are!
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #494
Jayse

Only discovered this thread recently.

I'm planning on cosplaying Death Gun for my next anime con. the mask is mostly complete I just need to make the cloak/poncho type thing now though.

Given how little reference there is for the character I'm having issues settling on an exact design and shade of gray for it though. Any ideas?
Jayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #495
Azuraschampion
SAO and AW's biggest fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayse View Post
Only discovered this thread recently.

I'm planning on cosplaying Death Gun for my next anime con. the mask is mostly complete I just need to make the cloak/poncho type thing now though.

Given how little reference there is for the character I'm having issues settling on an exact design and shade of gray for it though. Any ideas?
oh, cool. You really dont see enough cosplays from the light novels. Im having the same problem trying to come up with something to do for a Mothers Rosario Kirito, just too few reference pics.
Since all the pictures of death gun are black and white though, you really have artistic license to do whichever shade you want. Good luck to you, id love to see it once your finished.
Azuraschampion is offline   Reply With Quote