Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #46
LordTyger

As a fellow big guy, I'm going to put in my two cents.

As many have said: Cosplay is about having fun. Period. Wanna dress up as someone? DO IT, if you will enjoy doing it.

That being said, let's cut the rainbows and sunshine crap for a few: People do get picked on at cons. Bigger/fat people especially. Should it happen? No. Does it happen? Yes. We're not the only ones; I've overheard nasty comments from people on all sorts of cosplayers, ranging from gender to skin tone toa costume quality. Bottom line is, you should enjoy yourself; but part of that is going to be growing thicker skin. Words can't hurt you unless you let them. It sounds trite, but I should know.

On the flipside of this coin; though... just about EVERYONE knows about "man-Faye." There are some cosplays that you just shouldn't do... you're there to enjoy yourself, but so is everyone else. Be confident, but be realistic. Case in point, I would love to do a Kamen Rider/Sentai Ranger sort of cosplay. But me in a skintight bodysuit? That's just a bad idea waiting to happen. So I don't. It -is- a shame there's not more serious bigger/fat characters in anime, though.
LordTyger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #47
dooork

I think sometimes "cosplay" is just taken out of context so that we never quite realize that it's about having fun as much as wanting to look good too.

If you go look at our sports games, people "cosplay" all sorts of different things, including last minute store-bought mario suits, pikachu outfits, etc. These people just want a night of fun, not looking to go to a dress party, and they're happy as they are because nobody's going to discriminate them for it. However in the cosplaying business we expect ourselves to look good and look like the characters etc and totally miss the whole point.

I think you should just cosplay whatever the fuck you want. Screw the haters, who are they to decide whether or not you should do something you think you'll enjoy? Skin colour, physical appearance shouldn't be an issue. Of course we'd all like to look good but if it's something you can't change, I'd rather you stay as you are and not cosplay instead of trying to change it just for the sake of cosplaying.

Everybody is already beautiful the way they are <3
dooork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #48
Celiabeth

Why should you allow strangers to decide what you can and cannot do? Cosplay is for fun! Do it!!! I am way curvier than the characters I dress up as but I do it anyway. ;p
EDIT: Checked your profile, and you live in Ca I better see you at AX or some other convention dressed up!!!!!
Day 3- Princess Garnett
Day 4- Princess Nia
Celiabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #49
xcvi
xcvi

Honestly, cosplaying is SO much fun and you shouldn't skip it because of your insecurities!! You're missing out on something amazing. The discrimination IS there, I'm not going to tell you it's not, it's a shame that people act this way but it's never going to go away for good, sadly. The best thing that you can do is just be positive and have a good time and not let people bother you! Cosplay whoever you want! You know what? Often, the reason cosplays don't look good on heavier people is because they are not made or fitted properly! A costume can look 100x better if made correctly and if it fits your body the way it should! It's perfectly fine to make adjustments to the design so it looks good on your body type. Another tip is there is a type of costume that can look good on any body type and any skin color and that is armor! So like.. all those awesome characters from video games and stuff! Not to mention those designs just make for amazing costumes anyway! So.. think about that for future cosplays!

In the end.. do what makes you happy. MOST people won't even bat an eye. They'll probably even ask for photos if your cosplay is good! There will always be a few jerks but they're not worth your time! Now go out there and cosplay because it's SO much fun!
xcvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #50
kawaiiMORGUE

I'm a semi-heavy girl. The few times that I have done cosplay I have gotten some comment about my weight, although anonymous at the time. The people that obsess over other people's weight and such when it comes to cosplay, are idiots. Cosplay is about fun, and creativity. Not how much weight is on someone's hips or what their skin tone is.
kawaiiMORGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #51
admk2

well i think you would make a good berrett from Final Fantasy 7, but like what everyone else here said about cosplaying suppose to be fun
admk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #52
TETSUYA_CASSHER
Zentai is fun

Heres my take i was a heavier person. Anyone can change. I love hero costuming, so rather then fake myself i did something about it a loss of about 65 lbs and still continuing.

Before:

now about 4months of progress

lose the weight proper diet and hard determination and it will pay off in the long run.
TETSUYA_CASSHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #53
MisakiPhantom84

This bothers me.. really bad...
Its been said so much, but I have to: Cosplaying is a hobby/activity. (Just like coin collections except more creative and outgoing.)
If anyone discriminates, its their problem. They shouldn't and they should know better than that. The color of your skin doesn't show who you are, nor does it show your cosplaying capabilities. Your weight should only concern you if you start getting ill/sore. I strongly believe that anyone can cosplay if they set their minds to it.
I wish I could say no one will discriminate or say negative things, but that will more than likely never happen in humanity's existence. However, I CAN honestly say that those negative comments/responses for your cosplay because of your body should not get to you.
Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, should discriminate on another person, or another group of people.

Everyone is Equal. Period.
♥ Nekozawa (Ouran Host Club) - - - 10%

"There are always knights who break the rules and pawns who betray. If you let your guard down, its checkmate."-Ciel Phantomhive

"You were the one who selfishly entered my world yet you immediately plunged into silence. What were you thinking?"-Misaki Ayuzawa
MisakiPhantom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #54
bunnielove
BunnieLove

cosplay discrimination

As a cosplayer of color and a very healthily curvy Black girl, I can appreciate your fears. The reality is, I faced the same sort of discrimination when I began cosplaying. I loved to cosplay Sailor Pluto, and I still do, but you'd be surprised as to the kind of the things I would hear... racial slurs, side eyes, indirect comments, sniggering... but at the end of the day, I have a great core of friends that I could share with, and a wickedly wonderful online community.

To echo what other contributers have said, you need to be happy and comfortable rocking your costume. If you're not blessed with tough skin and boundless nerdy confidence, consider taking it slowly: a tshirt, or an awesome prop/accessory that gives you a foot in the door. You'd be surprised how, by taking this tiny step, you'd feel more encouraged to dive all the way in.

In regards to your health, by all means, you should do what makes you feel better. If you really can't deal with your extra pounds, start a fitness journey! YouTube is very helpful with this; in particular, look up a YouTuber called DeStorm Powers. He's very helpful and it is fun to work out along with him. However, I have a "hefty" brother, and he cosplays like none other. He is an excellent Alucard, among other things (though Alucard is really his signature creation).

Lastly, consider doing some online research into cosplay discrimination. It comes in all flavors: plus sized, racial, ethnic (Asian against Western), gender, age... if you can see it, it's there. It is a real issue, and people who try to dissaude you from your concern are really perpetuating the problem. An excellent editoral on the issue can be found here: [ http://www.racialicious.com/2013/02/...eople-hate-it/ ], while websites and forums such as Cosplaying While Black have really helped me to prepare for and heal when something racist happens at a con.

Cons are meant for nerds, geeks, Otakus, anachronists, enthusiasts, and fanboys and girls of all kinds to come together and feel safe, unjudged, and let their creative-nerd juices flow. Go with it and enjoy yourself. AND POST PICS!!
bunnielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #55
Melancholy Wish
Tsundere

Here is where you need to get thick skin. Weight wise you're bound to be picked on.
Melancholy Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #56
iamthelain

As far as skin color goes it should only matter if you want/let it matter. I have been cosplaying Vash from trigun for 11 years and when I think back to all the photo shoots and ext. One of the most memorable and impressive cosplays I can remember was a black guy who cosplayed wolfwood. He had a very well made costume and did a complete color reversal, white suit with black buttons, nickle silver guns with black text, every detail was perfect and it was amazing. Don't let anything get in the way of creativity.