Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 05-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
pbg146

I was more of looking for books on fashion. I'd just kinda like some extra ideas and maybe some ways to make certain things. I did stumble upon Steampunk: Gear, Gadgets, and Gizmos by Thomas Willeford and will definitely be going to the library to get that, but I wasn't sure if there were other books out there that would be good.
pbg146 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You might want to look into 1000 Steampunk Creations too to get some ideas.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Mr. Willeford's book is very good for the how to. I hope you visit his webpage. Simplicity has a line of Steampunk costume. No comment. Many historical patterns can be made into Steampunk. Laughing Moon Mercentile, Truly Victorian, and Folkwear come to mind. I'd also suggest looking a actual clothing from the Victorian Era (at least to start with). Peterson's Magazine, Goodey's Magazine, etc. Fashion by the Kyoto Costume Institute has some great examples. Masterpieces in Women's Costume by Aline Berstein is another great one. The author looks at museum collections and it has patterns for some of the dresses. Finally, search for Steampunk costumes on this site. There are several excellent ones.

www.girlgeniusonline.com
www.airshipambassador.com
www.steampunkmagazine.com

Edit: Harper's. I forgot Harper's magazine. Lots of late Victorian stuff there.

Last edited by Ororo Monroe : 05-20-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Ororo Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I totally second the book Fashion by the Kyoto Costume Institute. I got that one as a Christmas gift from my parents and it has some amazing clothing in it that could spark some real creativity.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
Beachbead

thrift stores are your friend do not feel ashamed to go into one some stores have really cool stuff for super cheap, my first steampunk outfit I found almost everything I needed for it, shirt, pants, and leather vest. Also go to surplus stores as well.
Beachbead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
pbg146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbead View Post
thrift stores are your friend do not feel ashamed to go into one some stores have really cool stuff for super cheap, my first steampunk outfit I found almost everything I needed for it, shirt, pants, and leather vest. Also go to surplus stores as well.
I frequent local thrift stores often. I even visit the flea market once in a while. I haven't been to a surplus stores, though I don't think there are any in my area. I will have to look and see.
pbg146 is offline   Reply With Quote