Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 06-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
KanraKami

Unwanted fabric drooping around shoulders (con three days away, please help)

I'm working on the long sleeved shirt of this: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...4pagecnt%3D 1 cosplay, and the fabric I'm using is polyester, I think. It's very silky, light, and floppy, so as you can imagine, it sags and droops a lot. Well I don't want it sagging so much because I need it to sort of frame my shoulders in the way the ref pic shows. My first thought was using interfacing, but the con is in three days and I won't be able to get to the fabric store. Plus I've never used interfacing before, so that might prove problematic. So are there any other suggestions you can give me to get this floppy fabric to retain a bit of shape? (the only thing I can think of is pinning it to the spaghetti straps of the tank top, but that won't help in the parts that aren't pinned...)

Unread 06-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

It's hard to give any help without seeing pictures of your actual garment. We don't really know just how drapey your fabric is if we can't see it.

That said, if you need stiffness and structure, you need interfacing. You might be able to get away with fabric starch, but I can't guarantee that there won't be a stain effect.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

To me, the reference looks like just an off the shoulder peasant blouse or something similar. If I was use, I would put elastic in the neckline all the way around. That would hold it close to your body and keep it from sagging. If you don't have elastic, you could make a channel in the neckline and add a drawstring to tighten it up around your shoulders.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
MiloPhoenix

I know you said you wont be able to get to the fabric store, but I really think you're going to need interfacing. It'll help keep it's shape and should keep it from drooping. There's fusible/iron-on interfacing. It's really simple to use. You just iron it onto the fabric. There's different weights you can choose from too. For this, you may want a medium weight if you can get it. But I think that'll give you the best look with the least effort. You might even be able to get it ironed in and sewn back together (not sure how you constructed the sleeves and such) within an hour even sewing by hand. So if you have access to an iron, pick it up on the way and do it once you get to your hotel room... or wherever you're staying.
MiloPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
KanraKami

Ooh! I like the elastic idea! I think I have some length of elastic from an old jewelry bead kit, will that work? Can you tell me how to add it/sew it in? I'm not sure how to use it.
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

The best fabric to have used would've been a jersey knit fabric as it has a bit of a stretch (or any stretchy fabric, really).

You can attach it to the outer shirt which is basically a halter top to keep it from slipping down/off. As for your shoulders, you can use Hollywood tape or elastic - not the jewelry kind you mentioned but this kind. It would have to go all the way around the neck/shoulder line of the shirt and it will give it a bit of a ruffle since the elastic will pull the fabric together. You can probably find several tutorials online and on youtube.

Also, with these kinds of shirts, the neck/shoulder line should've been a slight curve, rather than fully straight across - meaning the opening should be big enough to go past your shoulders but small enough to stay resting there and not go past anymore of your arms. This is the best way I can explain it via google search in terms of the curve of the neckline.

Last edited by Mykaios : 07-01-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
KanraKami

Ooh yay! I found some elastic in my stepmom's sewing stuff. It's StretchRite soft stretch elastic, that will work, right? How to I properly sew that in?
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

All I would do for the elastic is to fold down your seam allowance at the neckline and stitch it down leaving a small opening about an inch wide. Then, put your elastic on a safety pin and thread it through the casing you just made, securing the end without the safety pin at the opening with a straight pen. Then, once you have the other end with the safety pin out at the other end of the opening, you pull the two together (removing the pins from both) and stitch the ends together (make sure your elastic didn't get twisted inside the casing...that can get uncomfortable). Once that is done, you just close up your opening and bam! You now have an elastic neckline.

I hope that was understandable. I'm exhausted and have taken sleep medication, so I'm not sure if I am making sense right now.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
KanraKami

Yes, that made sense xD Thank you to all of you, this was immensely helpful!