Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
zero-125
The Darkest Angel

building muscle?

Hello everyone I'm looking for muscle building tips. I have fairly average strength but just one problem it doesn't show. I'm trying to build muscle for weiss/veiss cosplay in october...any help?

Come Bloody Angel
Break off your chains, and look what I've found in the dirt
Pale battered body, seems like she was struggling
Something is wrong with this world
zero-125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Drazhar

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/
Drazhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Bovice

You'll have to be more specific with your goals to get a more specific answer, but generally,

You'll want to focus on compound exercises/Free weights as your primary movements (Machines/Isolation are good as secondary movements).

For hypertrophy, you'll want an 8-12 rep range (I personally go for 8-10).

So for example, free weight bench press is a great compound movement. Machine bench press is okay, but if you want to use that option. Do barbell bench press first for 3-5 sets, then use the machine bench as your secondary movement.

I'll do weighted pull ups and then go into lat pull downs for example.

Compound and a good rep range is great for growth.

If you're aiming for strength, then 5-6 is a good rep range (lots of people like to go for 5 sets of 5 for example)
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

also some people get "herky jerky" with weights,
its not about clanging and banging,
go at a steady pace lifting and lowering, its probably better and more effective anyways,
ie 3s lift 3s lower on bench or leg press

also if the leg press machine has you sqwuished in dont use it, its very bad for your back
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
cll4545

I'm no pro, and I'm probably not normal, but here is what I did to gain bi/triceps in a short period of time: 2-3 months(Abs/pecs are harder, personally). I've always been relatively strong for my muscle mass, so I started out with 20 lb weights and curled them every night before I went to bed. To keep up a healthy/useful strength, I just curled the weights 10 times per arm every night. Doing this will slowly gain muscle, without much pain (although you may be able to lift more weight, or maybe less. Who knows?). I'm going to Supercon in Miami, FL. I am going to cosplay as Chad, and I have been doing some serious work to build arm muscle. For the past two weeks I have been using the same weights, 20 lbs, but at night I do 10 reps per arm, 10 sit ups or crunches while my arms recover, and then do more reps. It's a good idea to do as many push ups as possible too. I do this for as long as possible, and the next day my arms and chest feel like they were put through a shredder. In about 2 weeks, I saw a 30% increase in arm size, but I don't think this is normal. You must also eat healthy, and eat enough to support an increased metabolism.
cll4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Major Panda

If you are looking to build mass, remember heavy weights low reps. Like Bovice mentioned. Free weights are going to be your best bet. Machines are good for isolation, toning, and training as a beginner, but free weights uses more muscles for the movement. Bench press, Dead lift, military press, concentration curls, tricep extensions, dips are just a handful of good workouts. I do chest Monday, legs Tuesday, shoulders and traps Wednesday, Back Thursday, tricep and bicep Friday. If you're pushing yourself you only need to work out each muscle group once a day for about an hour. Abs on the other hand are a constantly used muscle so I usually have a 15 min workout prior to the other workouts. I end each workout with a 20 minuets of cardio. Diet should consist of high protein (Around Body weight in pounds to grams of protein), good fat (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated), and good carbs (brown rice, and sweet potatos). Peanut butter, and almonds are going to be your best friend. Last but not least sleep is very important. YOU DONT BUILD MUSCLE AT THE GYM!, They are stimulated there, all the growth occurs while you're sleeping. So make sure you get your 7 to 8 hours. In the end it dosen't matter on the protein powder you get, or the supplements, but the effort you put in to it.
Major Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Workout A:

Back squat 3x5
bench press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Chin Up 3xF

Workout B

Back squat 3x5
Overhead press 3x5
Barbell row 3x5

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

Eat lots, sleep lots, train hard.

Simple as that.

Last edited by Arbite : 07-01-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Haruhi13

I don't really have anything specific to add, since everyone else has basically listed all the essentials, but it is also advantageous to be aware of your somatotype and tailor your goals accordingly. For example, an ectomorph is going to have a lot more trouble with adding muscle mass than either of the other two types, and will therefore need more time to bulk up, while an endomorph is going to need to burn fat before their muscle will show through.
Haruhi13 is offline   Reply With Quote