Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Help on This Dress?

So after watching Aquarion, I fell in love with the alternate designs that are in the ending. So, I'm thinking of cosplaing Reina's alternate outfit.

I never made a dress this complicated before so any help would be appreciated. ^_^

First off, I'm not really sure what style of dress it is based off of. Also, I'm not sure what the thing behind the arms and dress is. Is that a shawl? Or is it attached to the dress? Also I have no idea what color I should go for the skirt. The bodice seems to be a lavender-sort of color but the skirt looks brown? 0_o I don't think that color combination would work in real life. Also, is it a multi-tiered skirt? The shading makes it seem so but I'm not sure...

Thanks in advance for any help! ^_^

Ref: http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...ps24962ccf.jpg

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Could you post more references? Preferably from the anime, not the manga and bigger pics. I'm not sure if it's photobucket or the picture itself, but it's small and I don't see an option to zoom or see a larger picture. I googled anyway.

The "shawl" looks like a short cape, which can be made detachable.

The skirt portion of the dress is not multi-layered but gathered separate pieces and put together as one piece like ths skirt You most likely would need a petticoat to get the poof look. This pattern can at least help with the skirt.

The colors look like (possibly faded or bleached out or you can even use chiffon fabric) black and purple.

Last edited by Mykaios : 07-01-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Penlowe

ooohhh I could have fun dyeing up fabric for that skirt!
There is a technique called over dyeing, where you literally dye a second color over the top of a base color with the intent of both showing through.

I'd start with white, dye it purple but not evenly. I'd wad it up, twist it and so forth to get uneven color saturation. let dry and process to complete this color. Once done I'd do quick dips in a brown dye, also wadded up and twisted for incomplete color saturation. Possibly go back to purple again a second time just to balance the color depending on how much you get.
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Oh thanks for the help!

Unfortunately, that's the only reference image there is for the outfit. There should be a button to enlarge it on the lower right. If not another link. Hope that one can enlarge.

And that sounds like a very interesting dyeing technique Penlowe! But if I do go with the dyeing technique, what kind of fabric should I use that will look nice and easily take to dye?

Quote:

Unread 07-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
harmonyisarine

Natural fibers take dye really well. Silk, cotton, linen, etc. Polyesters need special dyes and techniques, which can be done with the dye method Penlowe outlined, but I find it more difficult.

I also see two skirts, with the bottom longer and looking less brown than the top. I'd also give the fabric a crinkle texture, which you can do just by bunching it up and ironing it (and even when you let it dry from the dye baths all scrunched up might give it enough texture).

The shawl-thing, to me, looks like a capelet that's sewn to the dress. It might or might not be sewn over and forward of the shoulders/sleeves, it's hard to tell with her hands and hair in the way. Whichever way you sew it, I'd dye it with the same dye baths and technique as the fabric for the bottommost skirt layer.

So, if I were doing this, I would get a very finely woven white silk (a nice cotton could substitute, but I like to stay away from polys for complicated dye jobs and silk fits this style the best) chiffon in... I'd have to touch them, but probably a medium weight (for chiffons, that is). I'd dye it as Penlowe says and heat-set it to give it a crinkled texture, and do the skirt in two layers with the shawl thing as a capelet that either goes to the apex of the shoulders or even past the shoulder and towards the front a bit, so that it'd fall over the sleeves just a little when the arms are down. I'd also have a solid color underskirt just as a base/lining, with petticoats for shaping (unless all my layers gave me enough shape, which is possible but depends on the specific fabrics).
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Penlowe

I'd go with silk. Before you pass out from the thought of great expense, look at Dharma Trading (for the dyes too). They sell plain yardage at really awesome prices.
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Thanks a lot guys!

Quote: