Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
Dispozition

Flash gun advice?

I recently got an SB-700 for my D300s and while I've had some decent results with my experiments with it so far, I'm still pretty lost on how I can use it to it's full effectiveness for portraits and scene shots.

I haven't had too many chances to test it in the field yet, but when I have the photos have turned out only marginally more well lit than my regular shots so I'm not sure if it's me using the flash wrong or using it in the wrong conditions or what...help?
Dispozition is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Jonowxeno
Photog

Read up on http://strobist.blogspot.com/
it's pretty much the site for figuring out flash.

After that, it's practice to figure out the correct settings for each lighting condition. You can post some example photos of what you're getting and what exactly you need help with. Are you using TTL or manual?
Flickr, Facebook, DA
Jonowxeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
Dispozition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonowxeno View Post
Read up on http://strobist.blogspot.com/
it's pretty much the site for figuring out flash.

After that, it's practice to figure out the correct settings for each lighting condition. You can post some example photos of what you're getting and what exactly you need help with. Are you using TTL or manual?
Oh awesome, I tried looking around for sites and didn't really find any. Must have been using the wrong key words v.v

In my experiments I came up with two shots that I liked: 1 and 2 but most of the other images came out either very flat, with awful lighting, or just seemed better without the flash (I realise that's probably a thing that happens a fair bit anyway). Examples: 1 and 2.

I don't know if maybe I just have unrealistic expectations on what a flash should be doing, or if it is my technique (probably more likely), but it just seems like it wasn't helping my shooting that much :S
Dispozition is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Access

What are you trying to do or accomplish with the flash?
Is it a single flash mounted on your camera itself or multiple flashes that you can position on your own?

If it's just mounted on your camera, there's only so much you an do -- look around for walls or other things to bounce it off and create more pleasing lighting. Reposition yourself and your subjects. Create three of four common profiles for that venue and program them into your mode dial so that you can instantly access them when needed.

If it's a mobile flash learn the basic starting points for lighting, two-point, three-point, butterfly, etc. Know how to adapt these to the cosplay, like when you should be making do with just a rim light or a kicker, when you should be mixing ambient and strobe light or blowing out the ambient.

Don't forget the very basics, like gel to the color temperature and do your best to avoid places in the venue illuminated by multiple light sources.

Personally I am more taken to natural light or if I have to do night or golden hour shooting with added light, I prefer something like the beleuchtungschalttafel-3000L to any kind of strobe. The problem with strobes, while they can be very powerful, you don't get to see the results right away. The cycle of shooting and feedback goes much quicker when you can see the effects immediately.

Last edited by Access : 07-03-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Access is online now   Reply With Quote