Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
clearwater
Nekotin

Putting designs/patterns on cosplay

this seems like it'd be a really common question yet I dont think i could find it in the few main posts :/ so I'm sorry if this is a repeat.

But most characters have a design or pattern on their outfit.
I've tried to put these patterns on with fabric....and the ends fray (maybe I did it wrong)
and I've tried with paint. and it came off looking kinda tacky and cheap. (it was fabric paint)
any help or redirection would be appreciated.
thank you~
clearwater is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
tereshkova2001

It depends a bit on how the original design was done.
If it's embroidered thread, then embroidery is the best way to recreate it. Fabric markers can be a good way to draw on detailed, delicate patterns.
Fabric patches can be mimicked with iron-on transfers. Print the logo on the transfer paper and put it either directly on the clothing or a small bit of fabric which you sew on. You can also find a lot of accurate patches (for military or space costumes) online.
Larger screen-printed designs (t-shirt logos or similar) can be done carefully with paint or markers. Trace the design onto the fabric, then go over it with paint or marker. Use acrylic craft paints, a small brush loaded with only a little paint, and a lot of patience. Markers are another option; either fabric markers or regular art markers. Either way, be sure to heat-set the ink with an iron before washing.
You can applique a design on, which means sewing fabric shapes down on your base garment. I'd only do that if the original seems to be separate layers of fabric, because getting nice crisp edges is hard.

If you've got a specific project you're working on, post a reference photo and we can give more concrete suggestions.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
clearwater
Nekotin

medusa from soul eater was one of the main ones I was looking at her designs on the hood ?
thank you for replying btw, all your ideas were really nice and clever.
clearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Arrancar9021

Question Larger Patterns

While those ideas would seem to work, I'd like to know what would work best in your opinion for a much larger design. I'm doing the adult (non-cursed) form of Midna from Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and she has a very large and very (unfortunatly) symmetrical pattern on the back of her cloak. Painting/doing it with makers would take quite some time, and if I were to stencil it it'd take quite a number of pages. What do you recommend? And could I use the same for the pattern son her skirt?
Arrancar9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

For me, when I do designs on costumes that are larger, I tend to applique them. You just cut out your design in the fabric of your choice with heat n bond or something similar on the back (fuse the heat n bond to the fabric before cutting your design...it's much easier that way), fuse it to your sewn piece (or your cut piece if you have to join everything later on) and then use a very small satin stitch (a zigzag type stitch) on your machine to make sure the edges stay down and are clean. It takes a little practice to get the lines really nice, but it's worth it. You can applique it down by hand, but for really big patterns that could take a long time. One of the advantages to appliqueing is that you can draw on the paper backing of the heat n bond. Also, since it's fabric being fused to other fabric, you can cut your design on a fold and get a perfectly symmetrical picture.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote