Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
cosplay_luvur

Need help connecting skirt

Here is my reference photo and kind of what im going for here.

I am going to do her dress in two layers, the bottom layer will be like a regular long skirt and the top will drape over the bottom layer. They will both connect to one waistband, which i was wanting to be elastic for mobility (later I will discuss an issue with this). They will also be lined with metallic gold bias.

Question 1 : How would i connect both of the layers to the waistband just sew them both normally? I want it to be elastic but would it be to heavy to the point I would have to add a firmer waistband such as the design of jeans?

Question 2: The gold in the middle of her dress gets larger, do you think this detail would decrease quality if i left it out, or should I evenly trim the edges with bias?

Question 3: In the middle where the gold merges with each other on the bottom layer, how would I sew this together with it being trimmed with bias? Just sew it together or is there a better method?
cosplay_luvur is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

This method for the trim would work really well for this, since its not an even strip
http://firewolf826.tumblr.com/post/3...-trim-tutorial

I've done it before, where I hemmed the edge, instead of further in the design like they did, with vinyl and just top stitched the inner portion.

A fitted waist band would probably hold the heavy layers up better (so you arent having to constantly hike it up) than elastic. Here's a guide
http://byhandlondon.com/2012/10/04/t...ect-waistband/

Last edited by o01101011 : 07-03-2013 at 11:19 PM.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

I wouldn't do an elastic waistband - it's all going to be pretty heavy. I would do buttons those REALLY heavy-duty snaps or something.

Yes, you would sew them "normally". I'd just put them on top of each other and treat it as one.

For question 2, what really matters is what quality you, personally will be happy with. I'd also consider that the model is really simplistic, and I think the skirt is fuller and the "butt capes" more drape-y than they can make on the model alone. Kind of like this, not exactly, but that's the idea - that it's not just a "flat" piece of fabric. You can see that they've shaded in some drape shadows and such on the skirt and buttcapes.

For question 3, I'm not quite sure what you are referring to, sorry. You've drawn the middle gold piece as one solid thing, but on the model it is two sides. Is this what you mean ?

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Penlowe

Bear in mind all WoW characters are drawn in such a way that the skirts look very straight and fitted when standing, but 'stretch' when actually moving, so more fullness is not only ok, but necessary if you want to actually be able to move in it.
I would make the lower tier skirt an A line. The 'butt cape' (LOL!) a rectangular piece, drape & pin till you get a look you like then add a waistband.

Bias tape isn't going to be nearly big enough to look right on this costume, unless you are a really, really tiny person. You need fabric cut to shapes, plain and simple.

I agree that the elastic waistband is a poor plan. Yes, I hate zippers too, but you don't have to put in a zipper to get a fitted waist, you can do a placket & buttons or hooks & eyes. there is plenty of bodice stuff coming down past the waist to hide any ugly closures on the skirt. I'd put the waist closure on the side too, it's an easy place to deal with and most likely to lay smooth.