Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
Rirukuo

How do I get this effect on fabric? Red/orange/yellow dress

Hi!
In two months I'll be cosplaying Kurumi Tokisaki from Date A Live at a con in my hometown. But I have a huge problem; I have no idea on how to make the fabric of her dress actually look like hers. I've seen pics of girls cosplaying her with plain orange fabric, but that looks really halloween'y. And I've seen poeple using just plain red fabric, but that looks, well, too plain. So what do I do? Dye? Airbrush? And if I do dye/airbrush, on what parts of the dress should I do it?
ref ref
Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have no clue on what to do. Thanks!

Unread 07-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

The fabric appears to be transparent; you can see the shadow of her legs through the skirt. So, you could use a fabric that can be seen through to some extent and wear black leggings under it.

There are multi-color chiffons out there that have a color-shifting effect in light. You can look for one in orange-yellow or red-orange. If you gather the fabric just a little in each ring of the skirt, it'll really intensify that multi-color effect.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Rirukuo

It's not really transparent in the anime, I think the reason for it being transparent in that picture is because of that her dress is glowing. It does glow in the anime too, but it's not see-trough.
But I'l definitely look into the chiffon! Thanks!
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

If you don't want it to be transparent, there are opaque color-shifting fabrics too. I've seen it in shiny satins and in matte plain weaves. Check the home decor / drapery sections in addition to the fashion fabrics.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You could always layer a sheer fabric in one color over an opaque fabric of another color too. You can get some pretty neat results that way. I did it for a costume by layers a navy blue chiffon over a teal lining and depending on the light I got lots of different colors. So maybe you could layer an orange chiffon or organdy (that tends to be shinier) over a red satin or even just a red cotton or something and see what you get. I would just go to the fabric store and drape two bolts together to see what happens.
Mehdia is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
TomatoandScones
The knight who says ni

You could also try gradient dyeing fabric. Heres a tutorial!
http://firelilycosplay.deviantart.co...rial-207707945

Current Cosplays-
Kyou Fujibayashi-90%
Maiko Hikizuri- 5%
Asuna-75%
Erik/Phantom of the opera commission-10%
TomatoandScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Penlowe

I'm going to throw out a different option Bali Batik. It's a specific style of color blending frequently adored by quilters. It is nearly always at least three colors. Viewed up close you see all the colors, from a distance it does exactly what you want, it shifts from one color to the next the longer you stare at it!

Here is a sample (from a place that I have been very pleased with their service): http://www.keepsakequilting.com/bali...OM-FABRIC-.htm
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
harmonyisarine

Would a non-satin silk fit the character? Shot dupioni silk has an amazing color-changing quality to it, and I bet you could find it in red/orange. Threads in one direction are one color, and threads in the other direction are a different color. Given the prismatic shape of the silk fiber, this method catches the light and does some amazing color shifting. Just image search "shot dupioni" for some examples.

This method might be overbudget or just plain hard to find, but it's the first thing I thought of since the color change is part of the fabric.
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I honestly don't see an actual color change, just artistic effects (highlights and shadows) but whatever floats your boat. I don't suggest gradient dyeing since there is no clear gradient, just spots of highlight color like the yellow streaks at the top-light curves. Shot dupioni or similar fabrics with different color warp and weft threads is probably the best way to get a color-changing effect by the quickest route.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

Look for Iridescent Polyester taffetta or Dupioni
https://www.silkbaron.com/product_p/129.htm

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/VF1...lk-Fabric.html
https://www.silkbaron.com/product_p/125.htm

https://www.silkbaron.com/product_p/123.htm
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Rirukuo

Wow, I never dreamed about getting so many good suggestions! Thank you guys so much!
I'm in love with the dupioni, but unfortunately the fabric stores here doesn't sell it, and buying it online with shipping is way out of my price range. But I'm going to order some samples of it anyway, in case I want to remake my costume or use it for another character.
I think I'll try layering fabric to begin with and hope it works!
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
harmonyisarine

Layering chiffons was my second choice. I've even done it with the same color and had some crazy awesome shifting color depth effects. Mehdia just explained it so perfectly that I didn't include it in mine.