Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 07-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
erayachi
Elbow Macaroni Destroyer

Sculpture artist selling at a convention?

I've been to anime conventions year after year, and I love browsing through the Artist Galleries where very talented people sell digital prints, buttons, souvenirs and other fan-based art at various tables throughout the con. Every year I keep thinking, 'I can do this, too, but where are all the sculpture artists?'

I've sent an e-mail to a staff member at my local con to find out if there are regulations against it, pending response, but I'm still just getting my toes wet in this endeavor.

Have you (or do you know of anyone who has) sold sculptures at a table before? Have you seen others do it, or bought a handmade sculpture from an artist at a convention? I have a billion questions on the topic.

For instance, what kind of pricing should I be settling on? Most prints of digital work sell for $10-$25 a pop at my local con. I suppose creating a variety of small sculptures for customers with a lower budget would be wise. Problem is, I don't have anything to refer to when it comes to selling my own sculptures, as I've yet to see a table that sells them (larger, more detailed ones at least).

I know it would be at least a two-or-three person job transporting them all in and setting them up. But then comes the question, how does one protect the more fragile sculptures from being manhandled** constantly and/or broken? Plastic or glass cases?

**Generally, when I see a sign that says 'Please don't touch', I notice almost everyone respects it, but the Artist Room gets psychotically busy sometimes...

Anyway.

For those who may be doubting my skill (I would be, too), and this isn't an attempt at a plug, but here's a handful of old sculpture examples I've crafted:

http://erayachi.deviantart.com/gallery/44586788

If I did undertake this little journey, I'd have to wait until 2015 or 2016 at least in order to craft enough sculptures to sell. I just think it would be a great opportunity to pass on business cards to those who might want custom-made commissions, too.

Thoughts?

Unread 07-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I have seen some sculpture artists at cons, actually; they were mostly stuff like fantasy animals, or stuff that would also work for plushie subjects, and one item that was sort of like a diorama. I didn't look too hard because I had no way of taking one home if I bought it, but they had fancy/large items priced around $70-150, and small stuff tended to start at $20. If you have any skill at jewellery making, I suggest trying some sculpey-decorated jewellery or keychains (like bracelets or pendants with sculpey cake- that's a popular one, pokemon, etc.) to add in for the "make back my table costs" lower priced sales.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote