Unread 07-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
PeregrineStudio
Never give in.

Reflective, see-through, untinted glass

This is sort of a strange one.

Here's the character:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../Clockking.jpg
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...Clock_King.jpg

Mostly it's going to be pretty straightforward (a couple trips to Value Village and most of the outfit's done). I'm concerned about the glasses though. I think that with your regular, very transparent glasses, the 'clock hands' on the glasses would just sort of look silly, and the 'background' of your face visible through the glasses would detract from them. If at all possible I want to match the look he has of only seeing the glasses, not the eyes through them (I know, I know, cartoon logic, but I want to at least try). Is there a glass or type of glasses that would be much less transparent (or more reflective) that wouldn't basically just be tinted sunglasses?

Thank you in advance for any assistance

Last edited by PeregrineStudio : 07-06-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: removed defective link
PeregrineStudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~

Painting the glass in a thin layer of paint may be an option? Enough that people aren't distracted by your actual eyes and whatnot, but not so much that you cannot see.

Unread 07-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

if you could "silver" the glass like in a one way mirror,
or make it so the outside of the lens is covered by glare...
im thinking like a smear of vasoline,
so looking at the glasses it catches light,but since thier on your face,
it should be dark enough to let you see through it, perhaps?

im not sure, it is indeed quite tricky
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
PeregrineStudio
Never give in.

Hmmm, good ideas both. I thought I might try to obtain a piece of one-way mirror and cut it to size. Does anyone have experience / know where I can find information on cutting glass?

However, I'm not sure that will work either. The reflection would be almost more distracting than it being totally see-through. I like it a little better though, because you can't see the eyes, which I think is more important. I really like the cartoony look of only seeing the glasses, not the eyes.
PeregrineStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
verdatum
Extremely registered user

This question gets asked from time to time, since the effect is used in so many cartoons. It is supposed to represent lens-glare. With the exception of rigging up lighting tricks for photographs, there really isn't any good solution. By nature, you can't do see-through lenses in white, because "white" means it is reflecting all light. So any light that gets reflected to the viewer is light that doesn't reach your eye. So the more opaque you make it, the more blind you become.

To do a reflective mirror effect, you can buy "privacy glass" film at the home improvement store. It exists in two varieties, reflective, and blackout. You'd probably want reflective. You can either stick it onto nonprescription lenses, or you can make your own lenses, using acrylic sheet (aka Plexiglass), which is also sold at the home improvement store. You score it to the rough size with a blade, snap the scorelines off a square-edged table, and then sand it round with medium sandpaper, moving to fine. If power-sanding, be careful to avoid melting from friction.