Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 07-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
ChaosFoxCostuming

Critique con photo's and two photoshoots

Hello I'm just a beginner but I'm using a Nikon D3100 and here are some of the photo's that I took just this past anime midwest. I realize that some of the color looks a bit washed out in some of my photo's but any other advice on how to improve my photo skills would be great.

Here is the album. If the link doesn't work let me know.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...88186& type=3

ChaosFoxCostuming is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

Hi cosplayfox. I think the greatest improvement would be in isolating the subject from the background. If they're sitting there, you can either ask them to move to another location (that you've already scouted), or move the camera around so that the background isn't so busy or conflicting that it distracts from the subject. I saw some trees and bushes in the background of the photos. If you have the cosplayer stand maybe 5 or 7 feet or so from them and you zoom in a bit and open up the aperture, it would help a lot in focusing on the talent. Hope that helps and good luck!

Upcoming Conventions:

Comikaze 2014 Will be holding panels on Posing for Cosplay Photography! Contact for limited photoshoot bookings.
Blizzcon Contact for bookings!
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Six12 Media

Start using a good editing program: Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, etc...

Here's an extremely quick touch up I did to one of your photos (I hope you don't mind) :

Original:

Quick touch up:

Far from a good edit (in my self- critiquing view I should have done that center area of the plants differently, and probably not as vibrant ) , but it was done very fast and it's just to give you an idea of what can be done/fixed.

Also, if your using the kit lens, you might want to upgrade. Nikon has a nicely priced prime lens for under $200: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens
Six12 Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
ChaosFoxCostuming

Oh wow thank you that really does show me how much can be changed with photoshop and thank you for recommending the lens and also thank you Won Jon Soup for the critique I'll make sure to go closer to my subjects form now on.
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
StarcaIler

Looking at your gallery, you seem to shoot only one way! That is the subject usually 3/4 to full body, somewhere in the frame filling up 1/3 of your photo. While there is nothing wrong with following the rules, the best photos come from experimenting. Shoot at different angles, get really close, above your subject, below them, behind them, zoom in, etc etc.

Dont think that you only have one shot, just play around. If your friends are modeling for you, then shoot them in every way you can think of. When first starting its hard to think of poses and what looks the best, I found that the best way to combat this is by just taking a ton of photos. And I mean A TON. I like to photograph people candidly and have some amazing shots because I will just take a ton of photos of the same person doing whatever. Eventually, after taking tons of photos knowing what looks good will be second nature.

Post process also helps.
Sakura Saber (Fate/Koha-Ace)

Next Con.
NDK 2014
StarcaIler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
VampireHugs21
Cosplayer/Photographer

I volunteer to be one of your models if you want some practice!
VampireHugs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
ChaosFoxCostuming

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireHugs21 View Post
I volunteer to be one of your models if you want some practice!
of coarse
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Brea
Business Student

Don't use Photoshop, in this modern age, Lightroom 4/5 is all a photographer needs, UNLESS you are focusing on one specific photo or a special edit such as adding effects. If you're just post-processing, Lightroom can do all the work and it's much faster for your workflow.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote