Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 07-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Sundial
Clueless and Ambitious

Question Berzerker Help

Hello everyone! Its my first post here and I figured I might as well jump right into my dilemma.

Simple reference images:

http://mangadrawing.net/users/imagec...847f670341.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._berserker.png

So I decided to take as much time as required to get this cosplay done. I've been really interested in doing something of this scale but the amount of detail in the armor itself is daunting. My largest concern is getting all the round areas right, getting it to bend in two directions. I've experimented with EVA foam and a variety of other semi-hard substances but I can't get anything to bend in such a way that the hammered metal of the armor does. I'd prefer NOT to use metal as I'm inexperienced and it weighs a large amount, especially considering I'm making it full body.

I'm also curious how I would do the under-armor texture properly. I'm referring to the darker blackened areas beneath the plates. Of course I'm aiming to not just use cloth or fabrics much in this as the armor itself seems to be solid structure, I'm willing to cope more or less.

And finally the helmet. I have no idea how I would get the eye-slit to glow a bright red, but still allow me to see through. I considered doing something where the lights were actually above my eyes, but the slit isn't big enough to fit that.

I be thoroughly stumped, and my target is Anime North.
Sundial is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

For the pauldrons and other curved surfaces you may want to use something like worbla just because it's much more malleable. It's more expensive then craft foam/eva but it will save you the headaches caused by curved surfaces. You can also use the scrap pieces of it to make those spikes etc.

As for the 'under armor' area... you have two choices. Either you draw the lines onto something like a unitard/zentai suit or you use a secondary layer of black craft foam and use a wood burning tool to draw the lines into it.

The nice thing about the unitard/zentai suit is it will give you a base to connect the pieces of armour onto so they don't slide around.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Sundial
Clueless and Ambitious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
For the pauldrons and other curved surfaces you may want to use something like worbla just because it's much more malleable. It's more expensive then craft foam/eva but it will save you the headaches caused by curved surfaces. You can also use the scrap pieces of it to make those spikes etc.
I've never tried using that but from what I've seen online it is perfect for what I want to accomplish. Price isn't a huge issue so I'm willing to give it a go. Seems to also be able to do all the fine details I want to get right so that's perfect . I'm a bit worried as to how it works but that should be fixed with a little bit of practice.

Quote:
As for the 'under armor' area... you have two choices. Either you draw the lines onto something like a unitard/zentai suit or you use a secondary layer of black craft foam and use a wood burning tool to draw the lines into it. The nice thing about the unitard/zentai suit is it will give you a base to connect the pieces of armour onto so they don't slide around.
Yeah I have a black morphsuit I was considering using, but I don't know if it will be dark enough and the smooth texture of the suit might clash with the armor (something that doesn't take place on the armor itself). maybe a combination of thin plates and lines attached to the under-suit would get the textures effect.

Thanks for the pointers! I'll be sure to post later some timelapses , really excited to start building!
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundial View Post
I've never tried using that but from what I've seen online it is perfect for what I want to accomplish. Price isn't a huge issue so I'm willing to give it a go. Seems to also be able to do all the fine details I want to get right so that's perfect . I'm a bit worried as to how it works but that should be fixed with a little bit of practice.
Worbla is super easy to work with. I will be using it for some parts of my cosplay as well.

Kamui has some videos of using worbla that you can check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundial View Post
Yeah I have a black morphsuit I was considering using, but I don't know if it will be dark enough and the smooth texture of the suit might clash with the armor (something that doesn't take place on the armor itself). maybe a combination of thin plates and lines attached to the under-suit would get the textures effect.

Thanks for the pointers! I'll be sure to post later some timelapses , really excited to start building!
Yeah it does look very matte textured. I think pure craft foam has the same look as the image here. The figure for him is showing a pattern around the stomach but the leg area is smooth.

Shame there are not many high res images of him. Many seem to be from a mod in skyrim to make armour like his.

Either way I would do what works best for you. It's a small portion of the costume that isn't well seen in the series itself as he's usually all covered in odd black stuff. :3

Good luck!

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Sundial
Clueless and Ambitious

Quote:
Either way I would do what works best for you. It's a small portion of the costume that isn't well seen in the series itself as he's usually all covered in odd black stuff. :3
I actually did some poking around to find a smoke machine that produced black coloured smoke, in an attempt to emulate the effect. Would have mounted it on my back or something but unfortunately smoke machines produce water vapour... something you can't colour.
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Sundial
Clueless and Ambitious

Another quick question I have: Does anyone know all the objects Berserker from Fate/Zero turns into his black weapony things? I was considering making a large cape thing he has (http://i.imgur.com/fl7exFa.png) just so I can wear it over the cosplay, adding a level of intimidation. However I got the idea of having several of his weapons as well under the cloak. Like I would have his personal sword Arondight there, but also maybe Durandal as well? Maybe even the Lamp Post? The wiki doesn't say all the things he uses.